Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took me 11 months and I hit 12000 miles tonight and am officially out of warranty. I loved every mile of it.

It got me to thinking, over the course of the last year, I've been through a lot of those radar / speed setups that the cops put out to get us to slow down. My speed has consistently been 3 miles slower than what it shows on my speedometer every time I've gone through one. If my calculations are right, every 60 miles would actually be 57 miles and over 12,000 miles, Yamaha has japped me out of 600 miles of warranty. From what I've heard this is pretty consistent on all Yamahas. Are we getting ripped off? If that is even remotely close to being correct, that saves Yamaha tens of millions
of warranty claims. Anyone here know how to file a class action lawsuit?

PXL_20201111_000301375.jpg

·
Registered
689 Posts
From what I understand, the speedometer can read fast from the factory (and I'd bet all do) but the odometer must be accurate.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understand, the speedometer can read fast from the factory (and I'd bet all do) but the odometer must be accurate.
My first conspiracy theory and you gonna shoot me down? I thought we were supposed to go down in flames with our conspiracy theories?

Is there a way to make the speedometer accurate and if that was made accurate then would the odometer become inaccurate. Hey....I'm getting good at this.

·
Registered
689 Posts
SpeedoHealer will fix speedometer inaccuracy. I don't know if that would affect the odometer, though I suspect it would. My guess is that both speed and distance are calculated off of the sensor on the countershaft in the trans.

It's funny how people will be all concerned about a bike's mileage when buying used but don't consider the affect a gearing change makes to odometer readings.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
It's a Yamaha. You don't need a warranty.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1216bandit

·
Registered
216 Posts
Before assuming the speedo is wrong and the radar trap is right, get a nav or route tracking app that shows your current speed based on gps. Mine was dead accurate at 65mph

But to continue your conspiracy, how do you think tires inflated well below the sticker spec play into actual miles travelled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
635 Posts
+/- 5mph is allowed due to ALL of the variables involved. Tire size, inflation, tread left, electronic variances, and then what we do to our bikes like sprocket changes..

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
504 Posts
I noticed that's there's about a 2 mph difference between Google maps and the bike speedo. The bike speedo reads + 2 , but I figured they just wanted us to think we're going faster, lol.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
On analogue speedos the odo was directly driven, the speedo was a magnetic drive, so there was always a difference. I have noticed on my 09 that the cycle computer will read around 5 km's less over 180 km's than the trip function on the bike. The speed readout is often as much as 9 km/h fast.
The cycle computer is calibrated to tyre circumference and the speed shown is accurate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My first conspiracy theory and you gonna shoot me down? I thought we were supposed to go down in flames with our conspiracy theories?

Is there a way to make the speedometer accurate and if that was made accurate then would the odometer become inaccurate. Hey....I'm getting good at this.
A speedohealer will correct the speedometer but throw the odometer off. This problem has existed for Japanese bikes for a long time. Since the start of electronic speed and mileage measurement via a magnetic pickup on the countershaft sprocket or some other rotating point on the bike. The purposely make the speedometer read high but the odometer is pretty close to accurate.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
711 Posts
A speedohealer will correct the speedometer but throw the odometer off. This problem has existed for Japanese bikes for a long time. Since the start of electronic speed and mileage measurement via a magnetic pickup on the countershaft sprocket or some other rotating point on the bike. The purposely make the speedometer read high but the odometer is pretty close to accurate.
This hasn't been my experience - my ODO is off by approximatly the same % as my speedo, checked via GPS on my phone and by riding a known route and comparing google maps calculated distances.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It took me 11 months and I hit 12000 miles tonight and am officially out of warranty. I loved every mile of it.

It got me to thinking, over the course of the last year, I've been through a lot of those radar / speed setups that the cops put out to get us to slow down. My speed has consistently been 3 miles slower than what it shows on my speedometer every time I've gone through one. If my calculations are right, every 60 miles would actually be 57 miles and over 12,000 miles, Yamaha has japped me out of 600 miles of warranty. From what I've heard this is pretty consistent on all Yamahas. Are we getting ripped off? If that is even remotely close to being correct, that saves Yamaha tens of millions

View attachment 162125
When does yamaha have mileage on their warranty?? Mine is five years unlimited miles

·
Registered
36 Posts

View attachment 162125
Also new bikes are coming with wheel sensors which are a lot more accurate than countershaft sensors.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I personally have never worried about speed discrepancies of my speedometers. I generally ride fast enough that if I get pulled over, that little difference isn't going to save my ass.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think Yamaha scamming you out of 600 miles warranty is appalling.
You should have revenge.
On your next machine, buy a Speedo-healer and set it to under-read by 10% to get your 600 miles back.

If you are getting your machine serviced at an authorized dealer, they are also making extra money out of you.

At least if a Harley speedo over-reads some of the money is going into the pockets of working US citizens.

·
Registered
256 Posts
How? They are all mechanically linked.
I would say wheel sensors are slightly more accurate because they read the speed of two wheels rather than one and changing sprockets doesn't effect them. If you change sprockets on a bike with countershaft speedo your speedometer will be off where the wheel sensors will continue to give you the same speed.

·
Registered
2018 MT-09
28 Posts
Has anyone tested their odometer against the mile markers on the freeways?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts