Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a set of new PR4 tires to replace the stock Bridgestone Battleax tires that were shot at 2300 miles. Sides were gone due to twisties and the center was getting flat.

Here are my initial thoughts with the PR4 tires:
1. The rear tire width appears to be slightly narrower than the stock tire. Yes, same size.
2. Straight line stability is much improved
3. Minor road imperfections aren't very noticeable compared to stock
4. Initial tip in for a corner takes a bit more effort
5. Once leaned over the bike stays at that angle with no significant input to remain at that angle while mid corner
6. Ride is smoother overall
7. Can't comment yet as to hard cornering abilities/traction but I expect it to be just fine.

Overall, I'm happy with the new rubber.

Hopefully all the reviews are true and I will get decent mileage out of these tires.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Pilot Road 2 and 3 tires we're already amazing tires, if the 4 version is any better, they should be unbeatable. I remember once on a cold morning in the rain I wanted to leave a stop sign on a burnout with my FZ8...it was probably 5C tires were cold, to my surprise the bike wheelied instead of having the rear spin and I was putting my weight towards the front, just wasn't expecting any grip basically! They grip in the wet, the dry, the cold and last for ever. What's not to like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its been a month with the new tires and so far I'm impressed.

Haven't been commuting on the bike due to the stupid-hot temps here in AZ, but I have taken 2 weekend trips into the mountains--day-trip north of Phoenix and a day-trip to Mt a lemon in Tucson hitting nothing but twisties.

1. Tires heat up quickly and hold lean angle/line very well.
2. Mid corner corrections don't upset the tires/chassis
3. Very smooth ride in less than perfectly smooth pavement
4. Very good on-center handling and stability at higher speed
5. Currently running pressure at 36 front and 42 rear. This could be debate but it feels good to me.
6. Tire still has nice rounded profile although it is "scuffed in" well edge to edge. No flat center but only 500 miles on the tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Don't worry, someone will come along shortly and correct you on tire pressure!

Reactions: Travis

·
Registered
768 Posts
Lister Triplethreat immediately (day 1?) replaced the Road 3s on his wife's new FZ-07 with Power IIIs without ever giving them a chance on that bike. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lister Triplethreat immediately (day 1?) replaced the Road 3s on his wife's new FZ-07 with Power IIIs without ever giving them a chance on that bike. :confused::confused:
Some folks like what they like and have confidence in a specific tire. I don't typically peel off the stockers until they are spent, which doesn't take long. OEM tires, even if they have the same name, are sometimes a different compound. So while the PR3's that came on the 07 might be great if purchased aftermarket, they might suck in OEM compound.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just got a pair yesterday. Loving em!
I guess it takes a while for some!;)

j/k

The PR4s performing great for me so far...but can't compare with the S20s which spent most of their life in winter weather- & performed brilliantly actually!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
But what you probably DON'T know is that I've run the Pilot Road 3's on my ST1300 for the last three sets, and while they are an absolutely great tire for its intended purpose, it's not the tire that will provide the amount of stickiness that my wife needs on the FZ for our type of mountain riding. She has NO problem leaning a bike over and needing maximum grip.

·
Registered
187 Posts
PR4's are fantastic tires. If you're not going to be in the rain too much, i'd suggest the PP3's as an alternative. i just got 10k miles on my last set of PR3's and on the last set of PP3's, 11k out of the front and 9k out of the rear. they're both great tires

·
Registered
651 Posts
Its been a month with the new tires and so far I'm impressed.

Haven't been commuting on the bike due to the stupid-hot temps here in AZ, but I have taken 2 weekend trips into the mountains--day-trip north of Phoenix and a day-trip to Mt a lemon in Tucson hitting nothing but twisties.

1. Tires heat up quickly and hold lean angle/line very well.
2. Mid corner corrections don't upset the tires/chassis
3. Very smooth ride in less than perfectly smooth pavement
4. Very good on-center handling and stability at higher speed
5. Currently running pressure at 36 front and 42 rear. This could be debate but it feels good to me.
6. Tire still has nice rounded profile although it is "scuffed in" well edge to edge. No flat center but only 500 miles on the tires.
Michelin recommend running at the pressure rated on the tyre sidewall

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Of course they do, why else would they print it on the tyre?

I've got 4500ks on my pr4s, just as good now as when I put them on.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Michelin recommend running at the pressure rated on the tyre sidewall
Are y'all still not aware that is the MAXIMUM PRESSURE that you should run in the tire if it is FULLY LOADED. Look up the weight rating of your bike, whatever bike you are riding....and see how many loaded lbs. you can safely carry. As an example, the FZ09 has a loaded capacity of 390 POUNDS. Anyone on here weigh 390 POUNDS with all your riding gear and luggage, etc? I didn't think so! So WHY would you put your tire pressure to the MAXIMUM rating when you and your gear, etc might come in at say 215 or 220 POUNDS (example of me and my riding weight with gear). The much tire pressure will give you a very, very harsh and bumpy ride that you don't want. It will also cause the tires to NOT FLEX enough to heat up the tires......and we all know what happens when you don't get your tires heated up to the proper temperature don't we. DON'T WE??? You might as well figure on the tires slipping and sliding when going around corners and depending on how hard you are pushing it, you may find yourself sliding on the ground/pavement/whatever and wondering why the bike low-sided and spit you off of it.

Rant off..................

Time out....Rant back on.....

Whoever the Michelin guy was that told you to run the tire at the pressure that is on the side of the tire (unless you have the bike loaded to rated carrying capacity), needs to find a different line of work!! He is TERRIBLY, TERRIBLY misinformed...beyond belief....and I'd be more than happy to tell him that if he wants to talk to me. That kind of advice is going to get someone hurt when they low-side the bike. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!

Rant back off....at least for now!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Jeez Vern, don't sugar coat your comments so much. Tell us what you really think
Well, we've already had this discussion in here way back when the bike first came out and folks were riding them home from the dealership with 42 psi and crashing and then wondering what was wrong with the new FZ09........everything from the tires are junk, to the bolt together frame was flexing, to the suspension , to the damn fuel that was in the bike. This needs to stop and it needs to stop right now.

AN OVER-INFLATED MOTORCYCLE TIRE WILL GET YOU IN TROUBLE QUICKLY IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE YOU ARE ON ICE. And furthermore, people need to educate themselves on their bikes and the intricacies and caveats of the bike.....correct tire pressure, what grade fuel to put in it, how tight or loose the chain is suppose to be, what viscosity of oil is the bike suppose to be using. We all learn things in life and we learn by the hard way and/or we learn by asking questions....so up above is the answer to the over-inflated tire question. And I stand by my statement about whoever the Michelin guys was that told him that the tire should be inflated to the pressure stamped on the side of the tire..........he ain't got a stinking clue and needs to look for other work.

As consumers here, it is up to us to find out as much info as we can about the product that we just bought....the FZ09 in this instance. As a manufacturer, they are going to cover their collective butts as best they can and tell you, me, everyone here that owns one of their products, to follow the rules of what they've decided is the safest thing for you to do with this bike. A classic example is the suggested shift points that is listed in the bike's owners manual. How many of you follow that religiously...1st to 2nd....12MPH, 2nd to 3rd....19MPH, 3rd to 4th....25MPH and so on! Is it WRONG......NO! Is it practical.....NO! Will it work.....YES. They are covering their butts with that information. It's the same with tire pressure! 42 PSI will work and work very well under certain conditions like a fully loaded bike. Is it WRONG....NO! Is it practical.....Not unless you are fully loaded! Will it work....Yes. The thing is that we all should learn/know what works best for our particular situation with the bike and not just take the word of someone that is either totally misinformed of something or they are trying to cover their butts with the "right answer" for John Q. Public! I can't tell you how many cold tire crashes I seen on the track. I know, this ain't track riding we are talking about here is it. Well, the same principles apply here or on the track. If you over-inflate a tire.....any tire...it isn't going to flex enough to heat up and running the pressure that is stamped on the side of the tire is OVER-INFLATED....unless, as I've said over and over, you are running with the bike at a fully loaded, 390 lb condition!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Vern, what pressure do you run on the street? I run 36 rear and 34 front and it seems to work ok , would just like to hear what you run. thanks RR:cool:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just got a set of new PR4 tires to replace the stock Bridgestone Battleax tires that were shot at 2300 miles. Sides were gone due to twisties and the center was getting flat.

4. Initial tip in for a corner takes a bit more effort
I was able to get 6,000 miles from the rear version. I replaced the tire set earlier this month with Michelin Pilot Power 3 and the initial tip in for a corner is much improved over a PR4. I think the rubber on PP3 is slightly softer than the PR4, so it may not last as long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts