Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So I had some rear wheel hop today under hard decel, and remembered that a while back I reduced the rebound about a half-turn to try and smooth out the leading/trailing edge wear on the tire. Hop on decel, hop mid corner after hitting a little ripple in the road makes me think it underdamped. I'll give it a half-turn more damping again. It never gave me any trouble before last weekend and I'd had it at ~40 psi and rebound nearly maxed on the stock shock.

Also, please.... with peace and love, I ask that a tire PSI war not be fought in my Michelin Pilot Road 2 extended review.
Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Final count- 6500 miles. There was enough rubber on there to get another 500 I suppose, but turn in was getting a little weird and the idea of running a bald-ish tire over glass or whatever wasn't very appealing. I hate to get into the PSI argument, but after some experimenting with pressures a bit, this tire felt better around 40 psi. Lower pressures (mid 30s) left it feeling vague and... not planted; sort of mushy and it wanted to wander and push a bit in faster turns. Probably mostly psychological, as that's probably the biggest factor of all in my tire handling interpretation.
That being said, take whatever I've said so far with a grain of salt. Go have one mounted up and form your own opinion!

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hmm, the manual for my FZ07 (pilot road 3s) says 32F, 36R. Not sure whether to believe you, Vern, Michelin, Yamaha, or that dude on the internet who spoke to the engineer. :sad5:

You obviously know better than the tyre designer.

After reading the post in the link I posted,I tried various pressures in the PR2s on my 1250,measuring the pressure rise from cold.I found 42psi gave the correct pressure rise.Indicating the correct operating temperature.Lower than 42 ,within reason, gave lower operating temperatures.None of these pressures had a noticeable effect on harshness.
Seems Michelin knows what they are talking about when it comes to tyres they designed.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Mostly subjective, based on my limited experience...

Wear 9/10 Excellent. Daily commutes to and from middle school with an extra 150 lbs on the back (i.e. Kid w/cargo) and there was no sign of squaring off. Kept round profile throughout (+9). Had some cupping and it became a bit noisy (-1). Lots of singing around 3000 mi. Earplugs fixes that.

Traction 8.5/10 Very good. Tire never spun on full throttle anywhere (except slurry coated parking lots, which is just fun for first gear drifting :) ) Front never skidded on heavy braking. Only sign of traction ever becoming an issue would be fast cornering (60-80 mph leaned way over), and front starts to creep a bit, and occasionally the rear would shudder a bit. I can't distinguish if that's a product of me being tight on the bars, poor body position, road surface, suspension, pressures, or what. There was that low speed close call I had at Palomar, but I'm chocking that up to pogo suspension hopping after a small bump mid corner. The rear hopped and chirped about 5 times but didn't let me lowside. That's good right?

Comfort. ??/10 I have a hard time rating this. Like I said before- *for me* the handling felt better at 35/40 psi. This of course makes them hard as a rock. Trade off I guess.

Feel 6/10 Bland. Very neutral turn in, until the last 1000 miles where it became heavy due to the profile becoming worn out of symmetry. I prefer a pointier profile. So this is a pretty subjective thing too.

Wet traction: ??/10 California drought. I don't think it's rained more than once or twice since I had these mounted.

Keep in mind these are, after all, a sport touring tire. So a bland feeling, high mileage, but very good traction tire overall. I've not been to a track day, but I don't think these are the right tools for that job. Maybe some beginner days, but not beyond that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I totally disagree with the 42psi number unless you have the tire fully loaded. We had this discussion before on other tires and those numbers will get you a harsh ride (unless you have the bike fully loaded to the maximum and then some) as well as very little grip in the corners. I run my ST1300 Pilot Road III's at those pressures, but that bike weighs 720 lbs and I ride it two up about 99% of the time...with rainsuits, air compressor, top box, and 340 lbs of rider and passenger. If I were using the PR II on my FZ, I'd be running 32/32 in the spirited riding mode and probably bump it up to around 36/36 for highway/commuting. YMMV
Were I live its hot and 70 percent twisty roads. I ride 36/40 I look at my tire before the days ride and see how its wearing I might bump it up or drop it, I try to get the best performance for the roads I am on and try to keep that original shape. Example if I see some middle tire wear I will bump it up and so on. 36/42 is whats recommended and thats the max I use. I found I do very good in my tire milage and have plenty of comfadance for the twisty roads I ride were I live. Ride fast but ride safe.😛

·
Super Moderator
5,798 Posts
Were I live its hot and 70 percent twisty roads. I ride 36/40 I look at my tire before the days ride and see how its wearing I might bump it up or drop it, I try to get the best performance for the roads I am on and try to keep that original shape. Example if I see some middle tire wear I will bump it up and so on. 36/42 is whats recommended and thats the max I use. I found I do very good in my tire milage and have plenty of comfadance for the twisty roads I ride were I live. Ride fast but ride safe.😛
Middle of the tire wear is an indication that it's inflated too much....why would you be bumping it up? Every riding scenario requires the proper tire pressure. You want performance (tire to stick in the corner), you want higher mileage from the tire, you want a combination of both.....these are all different tire pressures on the same tire, and you have to decide which scenario is most important to you and your wallet. And as far as you saying 36/42 is what is recommended......recommended for what? Is it recommended for cornering.....highway mileage longevity, riding in the rain....just what is that recommendation for? That recommendation is a cover your butt statement from the manufacturer that will keep them out of a lawsuit when someone rides around and crashes with 15 psi in their tires. Getting to know your tires and their capabilities requires experience..or at least info from someone that has experience. It's not just a willy-nilly thing and it certainly isn't going strictly by a manufacturer's "recommendation" Do you know exactly what the tire pressure number is that is stamped on the side of a tire actually is telling you? That number represents the amount of air pressure required in the tire in order for that tire to provide the rated load capacity. That's it....that's all it stands for. If it says 42 psi, all that means is that if you inflate that tire to 42 psi, it will provide you with XXX lbs of load capacity.

Reactions: CanadianBob

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Someone posted the Michelin inflation specs a few years ago, they recommend 32Fr and 36Rr.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Middle of the tire wear is an indication that it's inflated too much....why would you be bumping it up? Every riding scenario requires the proper tire pressure. You want performance (tire to stick in the corner), you want higher mileage from the tire, you want a combination of both.....these are all different tire pressures on the same tire, and you have to decide which scenario is most important to you and your wallet. And as far as you saying 36/42 is what is recommended......recommended for what? Is it recommended for cornering.....highway mileage longevity, riding in the rain....just what is that recommendation for? That recommendation is a cover your butt statement from the manufacturer that will keep them out of a lawsuit when someone rides around and crashes with 15 psi in their tires. Getting to know your tires and their capabilities requires experience..or at least info from someone that has experience. It's not just a willy-nilly thing and it certainly isn't going strictly by a manufacturer's "recommendation" Do you know exactly what the tire pressure number is that is stamped on the side of a tire actually is telling you? That number represents the amount of air pressure required in the tire in order for that tire to provide the rated load capacity. That's it....that's all it stands for. If it says 42 psi, all that means is that if you inflate that tire to 42 psi, it will provide you with XXX lbs of load capacity.
Good info. Bought a new set of CT2’s in the fall ‘21 for my FZ09 (good price). Checking to see what others use for tire pressure. I don’t agree that one setting is the answer, it all depends on the type of commute of that day and especially weather & road conditions. I’ll try out different combos to get the feel; I just wanted to confirm that it’s not just 42psi.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts