Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yamaha Manual

The Yamaha Manual says 46 psi cold regardless of the load :confused: and my FZ-09 had Dunlop Sportmax D214. I was very surprised and totally disagree. I'm now using Pirelli Angel GT Motorcycle Tires and the installer recommended 36 psi front and rear. I hope that is the prudent pressure. Pictures at 200 miles: Cost $290 for both.::cool:
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Dress Asphalt Automotive wheel system
Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
The Yamaha Manual is wrong. Got it. WRONG.

You don't know what pinhead wrote that, an engineer or some Poindexter in the legal department.

My favorite wrong Bible Verse. Does it make it right because it is written in the Bible?

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I just put a set of PR2's on my FZ09. Got about 300 miles on them.

I have run PR2's on three different bikes over the last 5 years. 02 FZ1, 2011 Ninja 1000, and now the FZ09.

I love these tires and consistently get 5k out of them and that is after being on the gas pretty hard. I love jack rabbit starts. Lol.

Sadly they have or are soon to be discontinued. The PR 3 and 4 are taking over their spot.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hawkerjet, I liked the 2's more than the 3's, but I have to say that the 4's are incredible. They feel like sport tires. The are not sluggish, slippery, and warm up instantly.
Good intel Doug. Sounds like the 4's will be my next rubber.

How's the riding out there in Ten er c?

You got some hills and twisties?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I just went out today for my first spirited ride on the 4's. The trip to Austin and back did not present twisties. I was totally throwing down. I honestly believe that I can carry more speed through the corners on this bike with the GPR than I could my CBR954RR. My CBR had Pilot Road 3's, no stabilizer, and a tuned Power Commander 3. I intentionally found the speed limiter on a lonely stretch of a new bypass. The bike is limited to 9,000 RPM, period in sixth gear. I got it to barely squeeze 133 mph downhill.

I bought my latest house just minutes from my favorite twisties, that is how dedicated to riding that I am. It is not a sickness; it is a disease.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I just went out today for my first spirited ride on the 4's. The trip to Austin and back did not present twisties. I was totally throwing down. I honestly believe that I can carry more speed through the corners on this bike with the GPR than I could my CBR954RR. My CBR had Pilot Road 3's, no stabilizer, and a tuned Power Commander 3. I intentionally found the speed limiter on a lonely stretch of a new bypass. The bike is limited to 9,000 RPM, period in sixth gear. I got it to barely squeeze 133 mph downhill.

I bought my latest house just minutes from my favorite twisties, that is how dedicated to riding that I am. It is not a sickness; it is a disease.
I can relate.

I bought my retirement house in Fresno a couple of years ago. Gonna retire there next year.

5 minutes out the door is one of the gateway roads into the Sierras. Tons of great twisties and fabulous scenery.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
5100 miles on the tire now, and it's nearing the wear bars in the center. Amazingly, it's still holding a round profile. Tire pressure has been kept between 40-42 psi. I'll probably get 6000 out of it. I'm guessing ~2000 miles were ridden with a passenger in the city on nice clean pavement, ~2000 were solo city/freeway, and the rest mountain/canyon riding.
I wonder if I could get 10000 miles out of it (like other people claim to get) if I kept it at a lower psi... First, I'm going to ride on this killer deal $80 Avon AV80, and then pick up another PR2 and ride it at 36 psi under the same conditions. We'll see... Will have to keep an eye on PR2 stock in case they are discontinued before it's time to replace the Avon. Every place I've checked has them in stock, and the price has dropped about 6 bucks since the PR4 came out- RockyMountain/JakeWilson has them for $142 free shipping.

Still wondering how the hell people can get 10000+ miles out of a rear tire. Must ride slower than my dead grandma.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Super Moderator
5,798 Posts
You obviously know better than the tyre designer.

After reading the post in the link I posted,I tried various pressures in the PR2s on my 1250,measuring the pressure rise from cold.I found 42psi gave the correct pressure rise.Indicating the correct operating temperature.Lower than 42 ,within reason, gave lower operating temperatures.None of these pressures had a noticeable effect on harshness.
Seems Michelin knows what they are talking about when it comes to tyres they designed.
Sir, you can run ANY pressure that you want in your tires. I know what works and what doesn't, and don't really care what some engineer says. My first priority for every tire that I run on my street bike (FZ09), my other street bike (ST1300) and my track bike (600RR) is the ability to stick in the corners.....and 42 psi on some of these tires will not allow it to flex enough to heat up and stick for my type of riding......it's that simple. We all have different needs for tires....some like the long mileage and don't ride aggressive enough in the twisty stuff to worry about the tire sticking well. Others of us depend on a tire's ability to stick well in a corner and damn the mileage. You do what works for you and I'll do the same.

And on a side note, I run my Pilot Road 4s at 42PSI on the ST1300. It weighs 720lbs and between my wife and I riding it two up about 99% of the time, plus a top box, plus rain gear and an air compressor, the total weight is right at 1100lbs, so I run that high of a pressure. On the other end of the spectrum, my track bike is wearing a set of the Michelin Power Cup tires. Front is set at 29-30 cold and the rear is set at 22 cold.........that's right, 22psi cold.

I've been running Michelin tires on my street and track bikes for approx. 8 or 9 years and my go to guy for anything Michelin is a fella names David Grey........Sportbike Tire Service, east coast distributor of Michelin motorcycle tires........and he does know a thing or two about real world pressures and what works.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tire pressure depends on load. All tires have a 'maximum load rating' which is printed on the side. Some folks interpret that to mean that is what the tire should be inflated at. I noticed on my first ride away from the dealer that 42 was too high. I could feel every crack in the pavement. I stopped and let air out before I got home.

If you want to concentrate wear to the center of the tire, inflate to maximum pressure. It will ride like a wooden wheel because it will not flex much. And that high pressure will not corner as well because you want a tire to deform and flex for maximum traction.

A heavier rider or a heavier loaded bike should inflate to a higher pressure because too much flex will result in higher temps (the flexing makes the tire heat up) and poor handling in turns. See, there is no right pressure for every situation.

Bottom line, there is no 'right' or 'designed' pressure. It should vary with weight on the tire and the style of riding. Manufacturers set recommended inflation pressures because they know most consumers want guidance. But those pressures cannot be right for all situations. Try some different ones yourself to see what is right for you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Tire has 6000 miles on it now.

Today, I experienced the limit of traction on it while leaned into a sharp switchback corner on Mt. Palomar. It had a couple little bumps in the corner, and the tire was warm, but not hot. 35PSI cold for today's ride. Normally I keep it higher, but today dropped it just to see how it worked out. Pavement was in the sun, so it wasn't cold, ambient temp in the mid 70s F. Now I know that the subtle shuddering I've been feeling when tearing around through the canyons is the Pilot Road 2 about to break loose. Or my shitty stock suspension flapping around and causing issues. Could be that it's getting old and losing stickiness? Or my shitty riding skills? Maybe a combination? So yeah after that I was hesitant to push the tire too hard.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Tread

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Auto part

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't know, but would guess it is mostly a suspension issue.
I'd go with suspension on that one too... had the same thing happen with the stock s20 when they were fairly new, thou i think i was keeping too much weight forward. I'm moving a little less of my weight forward now and more to the side... my only issue is the front won't stay planted when under hard acceleration. Yes... horrible, I know! ;)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I totally disagree with the 42psi number unless you have the tire fully loaded. We had this discussion before on other tires and those numbers will get you a harsh ride (unless you have the bike fully loaded to the maximum and then some) as well as very little grip in the corners. I run my ST1300 Pilot Road III's at those pressures, but that bike weighs 720 lbs and I ride it two up about 99% of the time...with rainsuits, air compressor, top box, and 340 lbs of rider and passenger. If I were using the PR II on my FZ, I'd be running 32/32 in the spirited riding mode and probably bump it up to around 36/36 for highway/commuting. YMMV
Yeah sorry Vern but you are wrong. All Honda 599's have a recommended rear cold tire pressure of 42 pounds. I think Honda knows more than you do about what tire pressure works. Anything under 40 pounds is greasy and soft....and makes the bike weave. In fact all 1st GEN FZ1's run 41 pounds rear too. You're too caught up in that track day thinking and listening to all the track guys that have convinced you to run real low pressures. All that does is wear out the tires on the street. The PR2's are DESIGNED to run higher pressures...and especially on steel frame bikes....which require slightly higher pressure than an aluminum framed bike. On a FZ-09...A PR2 rear should be no lower than 37 or 38.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Still wondering how the hell people can get 10000+ miles out of a rear tire. Must ride slower than my dead grandma.
View attachment 5733

A cold climate helps.... We in S AZ or even central (Phoenix) will NEVER see that kind of tire mileage....

21 - 40 of 50 Posts