Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm coming up on 3k miles and the rear tire is past middle age so I'm going to order a rear tire. I cannot decide between the PR and the PP.

Wet handling isn't too important since I live in SoCal, but it's still important. I do want the tire to be long lived and cornering is important to me. I think I could go either way and not go wrong.

From what I can tell....unless you are planning on going on the track or really pushing the limits of the bike then the PRs will work great and last longer and be a better all around tire. As an experienced novice I feel that I will not be able to fully utilize the PPs and that the longer life of the PRs will be the most important factor.

Thoughts?

Zach

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Zach,

The bottom line is going to be what type of use you are going to primarily have for the tires. The Pilot Roads will definitely give you more mileage as the center of the tire is a harder compound and made to last under "road miles" type riding. The edges of the tires are made of a softer compound for corner grip and will provide decent stick in the corners. The Pilot Road is a great tire in the wet and instill a lot of confidence when riding in the rain.

The Pilot Power will give you decent mileage, but not as much as the Road. The corner grip on the Power will be a bit better than the Road and not quite as good in the rain. I run the Road III's on my ST1300 sport touring bike, but I don't push that bike in the corners like I do a sport bike. I'm running the Dunlop Q3's on my FZ, but I've run the original Pilot Powers in the past, the PP 2CT's, the Power Pures, and of all of those Michelin tires, the Power Pures worked best for my needs, although that tire has been discontinued and has been replaced with the Power 4 now. Depending on how well I like the Q3's that I'm presently using, I may or may not switch to the Power Supersport for my next set of FZ09 tires. Where I live, corner grip is far more important to me than long term mileage, so I use a street/track tire that will warm up quickly, stick very well in the corners and I just deal with the mileage that I get out of it.

So, as I stated in the very beginning, it is going to depend on what you need in the way of tires and what you want them to do for you. Hope this helps a little.

Reactions: eolith

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So not being a track rider, I like corners but I am never anywhere near pushing it. I spend a lot of time on the center of the tire but I also go on curvy roads every weekend for a few hundred miles.

I guess what I'm really asking is:
Will I miss any cornering ability or comfort compared to stock?
The stock tires don't warm up very fast but once they are warm they are great in the corners.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dunlops Zach with an H :), boB(backwards)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ive got pilot roads on my 600rr right now. They last long and ill never use them to their full potential. I mostly commute on my bike with some curising around here and there. My commute is 36 miles a day highways and i have 6k miles on them and counting. the rear is just starting to get a little more flat than round. but just barely. i imagine i have 4000 more miles on them. if you want high mileage, go for the PR's. they def get the job done and i havent really had any lack of confidence in their grip ability. also very stable in the wet

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I run the Pilot Road III's on my CBR954 and my wife's R6S. Neither of us can outride their performance. The turn in is just a tad more sluggish, but they are better than the Sport rubber that I bought just 12 years ago. They warm up instantly, which is unlike any other sport tour tire that I have ever owned. I am buying a set of the 4's as soon as I wear out my back tire.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would for sure recommend the Pilot Road 3. I typically wont run a tire past 50% worn. I dont have money, but I have even less time to ride my bike. I dont like to waste that tiem on crap tires, and wont do it. If you change them yourself the cost isn't awful, and anyone can do it.

I love the feel of a sport tire, for sure. Who would 'nt? I hate them squared off, though, and that will happen, for me, in goign to and from the canyon. I'm running th ePR#'s on my Ninja 1000 and they still feel good at 3000 miles. Visually, I think I'll be happy for at least another 2000.

My original BT016;s were dreadful. Your better off riding the bare rim.

Next set was the BTO16 pro...Not oem grade. These were awesome for the first 1000 miles, then squared off and felt awful unless you were in a turn. The transition from upright to lean was bad. Thats seven tanks of fuel.....

I then went to the pr3. These feel more sporting, and confidence inspiring, than the bt016 pros did on their first day.

I'd used the Pp3's before, and they are good. They just did not last long enough in a stop n go traffic world.

Also, the first time you get caught in a surprise rain, you'll swear you'll never look at another tire. They are seriously amazing when the ground is wet. I dont know about the new 4 series. I think that had harder center rubber. Longer life maybe, but the 3's are plenty good in that respect.

I was very concerned they would not offer enough grip. Especially considering how many miles people get out of them. No issues at all. I think the worst part about them is they are ugly. At least I dont like their appearance.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, sounds like I've found the tire I need. I can't wait to get rid of the stock rubber.

·
Registered
192 Posts
DNF Doug said what I was trying to say right here...

I run the Pilot Road III's on my CBR954 and my wife's R6S. Neither of us can outride their performance.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Pilot road 2's front and rear on mine. They'll handle knee-down cornering and give you plenty of mileage. From what I understand PR3 & 4's focused more on wet weather features; I didn't feel the need to spend more for that.

Free shipping & no tax for us in CA from rockymountainatvmc.com (AKA JakeWilson.com) $147 rear $117 front.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Someone way earlier asked if they would notice a reduction in performance compared to stock. The answer, God no!

Original tires often look liek aftermarket tires, but rarely are the same. They are built to a price point, and can have some specific requirements to be considered for the bike. For instance, Honda has some odd requirements that a tire withstand being hammered into a curb at 40 mph. Or, they can go to a manufacturer and say, "We want BTO 16's, but will only pay 20.00 for them." They'll make it happen. And 20.00 might be way over budget.

Usually, going to an aftermarket tire, of any brand, or spec, will be a serious upgrade.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went with a set of the PR4s, I only have the rear on since cycle gear didn't have the front in stock. If it wasn't for taxes their price would be competitive with twistedthrottle. I got the set for under $400.00. Sounds like a lot but I think that with their longevity and superior quality(based on reviews) I think they will be worth it.

I will soon be taking them on a nice canyon run and I will have a full review. At this point I love the rear, it makes the bike feel more planted and comfortable at the same time. It's a very smooth turn in and the smaller bumps are less noticeable. When I stop to feel the tire it's about 50% hotter than the stock rubber and it happens in a couple miles. They are almost too hot to touch. I'm more than happy with the choice and hopefully they last longer than the 2400 I got out of the stock rear( the front might have 2k left)

·
Banned
161 Posts
From what I've seen most of the people with those PR3's and 4's are slow, and never even ride in the rain (on a tire that's designed to excel in the rain).

Pilot Power is great for corners, Road 2 is a great tire if you take long road trips and do lots of commuting. If it's purely sport for you then no need for the Road 2.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts