Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between these two. Not a lot of data online for the Road 5s yet. The only direct comparison to the Roadtec 01s is on the track in the wet - Road 5s were slightly faster. If Michelin press releases are to be believed, the Road 5 should have at least equivalent mileage to the PR4s.

I'm looking for mainly city riding/commuting with the odd twisty road, but no track days for me. I'm leaning toward the Roadtec 01s since they've been reviewed much more and I know what to expect. Anyone care to weigh in?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Both are great tires... Ive run through 3 sets of Roadtecs on my Versys 1000 and have been happy with them..great grip when its cold and wet and naturally in the dry also.... I have gotten about 5500 miles average out of each set.. I could have gone more on the fronts,but I like to change tires in sets....so front and rear get replaced at the same time.... as for the Road 5s I have a set of those on there now, but only have 1800 miles on them so no comparison on mileage yet.
The grip is also very good in the cold and wet and fantastic in the dry... maybe a pro rider could tell the difference between the 5's and the Roadtecs, but I cant..I also have a set of Road 5s on my Ninja 650 but again, only about 800 miles on that set, so no indication of mileage yet.

As for value, you can get the Roadtecs on rebate rather easily for about $250.00 shipped where the average price for the road 5s is about $350.00 shipped..there were a few sales earlier this year that brought that down to about $305-$310

Edit: I see your in Canada.... send member blkbrd a PM he can tell you where he saw the Road 5s pretty cheaply ..

this is from another thread

Good price, but If you shop in the right places you should be able to find these for around $300 any day. The place I buy from sells a pair for $382 CAD ($301 USD).

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I did see a comparison test that described the Roadtecs as having a sportier feel than PR4's. That maybe good on an 09. But the 5's seem a bit new for much info to be out.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
No GoPros on helmets? Is that the Michael Schumacher syndrome?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both are great tires... Ive run through 3 sets of Roadtecs on my Versys 1000 and have been happy with them..great grip when its cold and wet and naturally in the dry also.... I have gotten about 5500 miles average out of each set.. I could have gone more on the fronts,but I like to change tires in sets....so front and rear get replaced at the same time.... as for the Road 5s I have a set of those on there now, but only have 1800 miles on them so no comparison on mileage yet.
The grip is also very good in the cold and wet and fantastic in the dry... maybe a pro rider could tell the difference between the 5's and the Roadtecs, but I cant..I also have a set of Road 5s on my Ninja 650 but again, only about 800 miles on that set, so no indication of mileage yet.

As for value, you can get the Roadtecs on rebate rather easily for about $250.00 shipped where the average price for the road 5s is about $350.00 shipped..there were a few sales earlier this year that brought that down to about $305-$310

Edit: I see your in Canada.... send member blkbrd a PM he can tell you where he saw the Road 5s pretty cheaply ..
I just put the final nail in the coffin (framing nail to be exact :( ) of my pilot power 3s after 3000 miles. Wouldn't have expected them to last another 500 before the wear bars showed anyways. Anything that should last me over 5000 miles with good ride-ability in the twisties sounds great to me. 5500 miles on the Roadtecs with the heavier Versys is decent, I've heard of people running >8k miles consistently on the FZ - depending on wrist torque, of course.

Checked with blkbrd - more expensive for me because of shipping charges. I can get the Road 5s delivered for $445 CAD ($345USD) and the Roadtec 01s delivered for $415CAD ($324USD). So not much of a difference. If I could find the Roadtecs for $250USD that would cinch it for me, can't find any rebates/deals right now though. I'm close enough to the US that shipping across the line and picking them up is definitely an option to save $75USD.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I just put the final nail in the coffin (framing nail to be exact :( ) of my pilot power 3s after 3000 miles. Wouldn't have expected them to last another 500 before the wear bars showed anyways. Anything that should last me over 5000 miles with good ride-ability in the twisties sounds great to me. 5500 miles on the Roadtecs with the heavier Versys is decent, I've heard of people running >8k miles consistently on the FZ - depending on wrist torque, of course.

Checked with blkbrd - more expensive for me because of shipping charges. I can get the Road 5s delivered for $445 CAD ($345USD) and the Roadtec 01s delivered for $415CAD ($324USD). So not much of a difference. If I could find the Roadtecs for $250USD that would cinch it for me, can't find any rebates/deals right now though. I'm close enough to the US that shipping across the line and picking them up is definitely an option to save $75USD.

Yeah $345 -$355 shipped is about average for the Road 5s...anything more is a rip off...as far as the Metzler rebates..they usualy run 2 a year in the US...maybe the same for Canada but Im not sure...you can keep an eye on this page to see when they are https://www.metzeler.com/site/us/products/promotions.html

Dunlop has a rebate going on right now on a set of Roadsmart 3s...Ive seen them for $280 then a $50 rebate...but the wet weather performance is supposedly not the greatest..not sure if that matters to you

https://www.bikebandit.com/deals/dunlop-tire-rebates

Reactions: happyjoe

·
Registered
615 Posts
I put on the Metzeler 01's last April. Best tire I've ever used. 4K+ miles last riding season and the rear is barely worn, the front looks new. I'd definitely buy again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the Metzeler Z8s on my 09 and I got 8K miles on the rear and about 10K on the front. Ran good in the hills, commuting. I probably could have got 9kish on the rear but I ran a lower air pressure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm torn between these two tires aswell
I ride in northern Norway so its ofte cold 3-10°c and/or damp so I'm leaning towards the Roadtec's.
Anyone tried Road 5's in similar conditions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts