Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just completed my first oil change on the bike with 450 miles on the odometer. I noticed some fine glittery flakes on the bottom of the pan. Ive been breaking it in pretty easy and followed Yamaha recommendations up to 200 miles. At that point I starting running it a little harder into the 8k-9k range occasionally, but still not beating it. After 400 miles I took it up to 10k maybe 3 or 4 times while trying to keep up with some friends liter bikes. What do you all think? Is this normal for the first change after 450 break in miles? 20140418_130144_HDR.jpg 20140418_130305_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nick. I figured it was but ive never changed the oil on a new motor before. Couldn't find any other posts on the topic so it had me worried I wad the only one. The flash tune is great btw except I will be needing a reflash most likely for an M4 exhaust. How much additional will this be? I feel like I'm riding an electric motorcycle when I go with any other bikes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I fully expected that mine would look like that, but in fact it didn't. I saw no swarf in the oil at first change.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Were those flakes of aluminum or steel??? hard to tell. If it's cleaner at the next couple of changes, I wouldn't worry.

The stock filter is not the best (Pictured below). Looks a lot like a stock Scion XB and Toyota Corolla filter.

Purolator puts end caps on their filters so that when the oil warms up and thins out, it goes thru the media instead of around it. I have to believe cold oil goes around the pressure bypass anyway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of the flakes looked golden and were very fine. There were two larger peices that were silver in color but they may have come from the filter as I jammed a Flathead through it to remove. I don't understand how the filter was not able to pick these particles up though. I would think if they are large enough for me to see them, they would be caught by the filter element. K&N on there now so we'll see how it looks when I change to synthetic in 1000 miles.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well, from pictures I've seen on the web, the K&N filter appears to have end caps. When you are done with this filter, cut it open and have a look - just to make sure they are still doing that. There seems to be cost saving move afoot to delete end caps in favor of glued ends and they don't cover the filter media.

IMO, cold oil generates too much pressure and opens the pressure relief valve, so the oil is not initially fully filtered. After it warms up, it should go thru the filter.

The particles are likely left over from a poor cleaning job done after machining some of the engine cases. You shouldn't see much at the next change.

The Triumph and BSA I had in my youth did not have oil filters at all, just a sludge trap in the crankshaft, that was always fun to clean out. Things have advanced slightly since then.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Changed mine today at 150 miles , looked nasty. The shifting was really bad for the first 10 miles , much better after a few miles. Now fresh oil may change at 400 miles . Oil is cheap

·
Registered
877 Posts
Did oil change , today at 550 miles .

Used Auto Zone oil filter socket and 17 mm 6 side 17 mm socket on drain plug.

Hard initial pull to unseat due more to friction than installed torque.

Oil a bit darker than new but little , if any , metal seen.

Put in Royal Purple 20 / 50 that I got a deal on a few months ago.

·
Registered
877 Posts
OEM filter, and drain plug not partially stripped or rounded off. :eek:ccasion14:

Separate drain pan for filter .

For those into silver bullion, a 500 oz plastic Big Box used.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didnt notice any initially either, but thats because it sank in the oil pan. Once I poured the old oil from the pan back into the empty bottles (for storage), I found the flakes had settled at the bottom. I have been told by quite a few it is nothing to worry about and normal. I'll be keeping an eye on it throughout the next oil changes by I expect it to clear up.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
At my first oil change (300km) my oil catch pan was already dirty from lots of bike maintenance the week before so I couldn't tell what was from the FZ, but the oil coming out definitely had a grey tinge to it. I stuck my finger in the oil stream a few times and didn't see any sparklies. I'll be sure to clean my catch pan before the next change.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, from pictures I've seen on the web, the K&N filter appears to have end caps. When you are done with this filter, cut it open and have a look - just to make sure they are still doing that. There seems to be cost saving move afoot to delete end caps in favor of glued ends and they don't cover the filter media.

IMO, cold oil generates too much pressure and opens the pressure relief valve, so the oil is not initially fully filtered. After it warms up, it should go thru the filter.

The particles are likely left over from a poor cleaning job done after machining some of the engine cases. You shouldn't see much at the next change.

The Triumph and BSA I had in my youth did not have oil filters at all, just a sludge trap in the crankshaft, that was always fun to clean out. Things have advanced slightly since then.
I would think the the image above shows a filter that has a manufacturing fault.It looks like it did not get dipped far enough in the resin.
Vesrah,Emgo and HiFlo filters have end caps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts