Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked this little cutie up today! I'd been eyeing this bike since September. I stopped in my local dealership on a whim on Saturday even though I'd been doing all my research. They happened to have an orange one (which the paint is even more beautiful than the pictures) still in the box at their warehouse that arrived a few days ago. I asked if they would price match a dealer in Indy and they did. They brought it for me to see today and as soon as I did I was sold. The deal was too good to pass up so I pulled the trigger and signed the papers today. I bring it home to my toasty garage on Friday (it's effin' cold here). (Side bar: I did get to test ride one yesterday and it was incredible. It was a crazy 60 degrees yesterday, but today it's back down to 30. Ugh!)

A little about me. I've been riding for about 15 years. Started on a ZX6, moved to a YZF600R, an SV650 for the track, a super fun YZ250F supermoto then onto my current '06 ZX6R (which is now for sale :D). I'm shifting away from the more aggressive seating style but I still want to be able to have a blast at the track and places like Deals Gap. I rode my friend's Triumph Street Triple at the Gap earlier this year and fell in love with it (but not with the price). This was the next best option for the money and here I am! I live in Columbus and frequent the Hocking Hills region as my stomping grounds.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive exterior
Speedometer Gauge Auto part Measuring instrument Technology
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Compact car Automotive design

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Oh how i love the orange, i would have waited if i knew the us was getting the orange. But oh well...you will never find me complaining about the 09

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooo....I really like the idea of being the first orange! :D

v2Bob, yes, track days. Started with STT way back in 2003. Ridden MidO a zillion times. Other tracks include Grattan, BeaveRun, Putnam, Nelson's, Las Vegas, California Motor Speedway and a few supermoto tracks when I had that fun little thing back in 2006-08. Geez, how time gets away from you when you start getting old(er). Still getting my track legs back after a few year hiatus due to a career change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zkoikish, I'm curious to know if the fork replacement springs you did made a significant difference to the front end dive. I've read all the reviews and when I rode it yesterday, it was very concerning. I really hoping just some springs will help a lot with that.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For suspension and other mods see:
http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/10-fz-09-builds/412-stoltec-project-bike-gonna-long-thread.html
Stoltec Moto

When you did the western track days were you living out west? Long a$$ drive otherwise lol. Of the tracks you listed I've been on Putnam and Grattan. From where we live Barber, VIR, Blackhawk and Gingerman are worth the drive. I prefer the tighter tracks but ones like VIR and Barber are fantastic and it really adds to watching AMA races on TV.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum Motopuck and congrats on the Orange FZ.....that is a really a sweet color for sure. I've suggested a couple of times on here that the Orange bike would look kick a$$ with a set of Orange wheels that match the bike's color....ala Repsol style.

On a different note, if you decide to do some track days, check out the STT 2014 schedule. It will be posted on Christmas day and should go live for ordering around Jan 1st. I can tell you one thing, there are going to be several Barber events this year, as well as Road Atlanta, and Little Talladaga, as well as some other fun weekends. I'm not at liberty to reveal the dates yet, but like I said, they will be posted on the STT site on Christmas Day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the orange but it would be better if the had more like the red
Actually, I love that the just the tank is orange. More subtle color accents. I love that the rest of it is black. Best of both worlds since I didn't like blue wheels on the black and thought the red was too much.

vBob...no. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum Motopuck and congrats on the Orange FZ.....that is a really a sweet color for sure. I've suggested a couple of times on here that the Orange bike would look kick a$$ with a set of Orange wheels that match the bike's color....ala Repsol style.

On a different note, if you decide to do some track days, check out the STT 2014 schedule. It will be posted on Christmas day and should go live for ordering around Jan 1st. I can tell you one thing, there are going to be several Barber events this year, as well as Road Atlanta, and Little Talladaga, as well as some other fun weekends. I'm not at liberty to reveal the dates yet, but like I said, they will be posted on the STT site on Christmas Day.
Thanks Vern! (You're friends with my friends...can I call you Vern? :D) Plus, several of my friends are also STT instructors in the North and I go way back to the days of Bonnie and Monte so I'll definitely be checking out the dates when they post. I was supposed to be at Barber in October, but a few circumstances prevented me from going and I had to sell my days last minute (for a profit which was nice)! Next year for sure!

Looking forward to meeting you! Thanks for your track post. That's really what ended up selling me on the bike. Knowing it'll be great once the suspension is worked out. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you did the western track days were you living out west?
No, I used to be in the moto-industry and used to get all kinds of hook ups. One of the few perks of being in the industry. ;) Rode a friends bike in Cali and attended a moto event that was in Vegas. It was nice! :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Waaaa I'm crying... I always wanted to have the Orange or Neon Green MT lines :(
Not even my rack or flyscreen is able to keep my Kleenex box away -grin

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks Vern! (You're friends with my friends...can I call you Vern? :D) Plus, several of my friends are also STT instructors in the North and I go way back to the days of Bonnie and Monte so I'll definitely be checking out the dates when they post. I was supposed to be at Barber in October, but a few circumstances prevented me from going and I had to sell my days last minute (for a profit which was nice)! Next year for sure!

Looking forward to meeting you! Thanks for your track post. That's really what ended up selling me on the bike. Knowing it'll be great once the suspension is worked out. :)
You can call me Vern......everyone does........well, maybe not the people that don't like me, but that's a different time and place.
Some of the Northern Instructors names are familiar, but I really don't know too many of them with the exception of K3, Tea, Aubrey, etc. Peggy and I were at Barber in Oct...it's ALWAYS a packed/sold out event and sometimes it sells out 4 months ahead of the date. Looking forward to meeting you......and finding out your real name.......I know....MR. motopuck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts