Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SAM_0080.jpg SAM_0079.jpg Yesterday I was riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a beautiful spring day; sunny and warm. I wasn't looking at my speed, as I had the rode to myself. I was between Groundhog Mountain and Meadows of Dan. I dropped down into a right hand sweeper that had a bit of a corkscrew. I was probably doing about 70mph. Just as I dropped it in, a ranger passed me going the other way, displaying his brilliant light show. I pulled over, and waited. After he turned around and got out, he said, " You want to tell me why you were riding so fast?" I told him it was such a nice day, there were no cars, and I hadn't had the bike out in all long time (at least 24 hours). He asked for my license, and after seeing my Marine Corps tag, my military id. After surrendering the requisite documents to him, he scrutinized them, and handed them back to me. After scowling at me as best he could, he stated, " Keep your speed in check, the bears are out. I don't want to have to come back up here and scrape you off the road, Semper Fi." I guess the $10 for the Marine Corps tag was a good investment!
5/19/14: Just got around to resizing pics from the ride!

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is cool! As an army veteran, I'll say-You're a lucky Jarhead....:evil6:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, me too. You can really get away with the faster riding on the other roads here. I just wasn't paying attention to my speed, see also sweet/buzzkill!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Oh how I fancy that BRP.

:love7:

Hopefully next month I'll have some pictures with the '09

Reactions: Willowbilly

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was just there yesterday, about 75 degrees. In the 80's at lower altitude. This is why I moved away from Ohio!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yesterday I was riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a beautiful spring day; sunny and warm. I wasn't looking at my speed, as I had the rode to myself. I was between Groundhog Mountain and Meadows of Dan. I dropped down into a right hand sweeper that had a bit of a corkscrew. I was probably doing about 70mph. Just as I dropped it in, a ranger passed me going the other way, displaying his brilliant light show. I pulled over, and waited. After he turned around and got out, he said, " You want to tell me why you were riding so fast?" I told him it was such a nice day, there were no cars, and I hadn't had the bike out in all long time (at least 24 hours). He asked for my license, and after seeing my Marine Corps tag, my military id. After surrendering the requisite documents to him, he scrutinized them, and handed them back to me. After scowling at me as best he could, he stated, " Keep your speed in check, the bears are out. I don't want to have to come back up here and scrape you off the road, Semper Fi." I guess the $10 for the Marine Corps tag was a good investment!
I suspect it really helped that you were honest, you didn't try to claim you weren't riding fast, or challenge him that his radar wasn't calibrated properly or some similar bullshit. I got a speeding ticket about 12 years ago, and I am absolutely positive I would have gotten off with a warning if I had just told the truth - I was in a hurry to get home before the rain let loose because I had a big check from a client in my flimsy (non-waterproof) jacket.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I can only offer one perspective. (albeit from a guy who rarely wrote tickets) I stopped people doing illegal things with the hopes that their "close call" with a ticket would scare them in to being a little safer. Maybe it worked, maybe not?

I just didn't see screwing up someone's insurance and wallet over something minor. I always said, if you got a ticket from me, your earned it, and you know it.

Cops have fun with people too. I remember stopping a guy going the wrong way on a one way. It was an obvious mistake, nothing malicious. I had no real plan to write him. I checked his license and asked if there a good reason why I shouldn't write him a ticket? He sort of rambled on with an excuse. I said. Wow, that's a very good reason, have a nice day.

He must of thought he came up with something awesome, and I got a chuckle. We both left satisfied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts