Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Welcome the Worldcrosser, Oberdan Bezzi's latest concept, based on the already coveted Yamaha MT-09.

The Yamaha MT-09 (or FZ-09, as it it marketed in some countries including the US) managed to bring a very hefty breath of fresh air into the industry, as it came with very nifty looks, great specs and a very good price. And seeing designer use it as the starting point for new concept is only natural.

Bezzi chose the triple-cylinder mill as the power unit for an enduro derivation of the MT-09 chassis, using taller and more compliant suspensions, able to tackle both long asphalt roads and unsealed territory.

The tires are obviously knobbies, and auxiliary fuel tanks are also a must. The bike should be a solo one, with space intelligently used for accommodating navigation and touring gear.

Read more here: Yamaha MT-09 Triple Worldcrosser Concept by Oberdan Bezzi

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I saw that, but it doesn't do a thing for me...although I'm not an adventure bike kind of guy. I do believe that Yamaha will get maximum yardage out of the 847cc triple motor though. It's got a ton of potential for a lot of product

·
Registered
151 Posts
The whole adventure bike thing is a scam, get a dirt bike and do some off roading! I think BMW has rich yuppies brain washed that then are having fun ridding a 700lb bike in the dirt

·
Registered
89 Posts
FZ-09 Tenere (It would own the market)

Keep it under 470 lbs wet (w/5 gallon tank) . . . Where do I send my deposit?

The older you get . . . The more you will lean towards Adventure-style bikes. We Baby Boomers are a big market share of the Motorcycle Industry.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The whole adventure bike thing is a scam, get a dirt bike and do some off roading! I think BMW has rich yuppies brain washed that then are having fun ridding a 700lb bike in the dirt
I agree but true dirt bike riding is way beyond what the adventure guys would attempt, from what I have witnessed basic fire road riding and easy trail work is about it.

Never ran into an adventure bike on single track and I ride a ton of it in Southern NJ, I think most guys know better.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would be very surprised if Yamaha doesn't come out with this style bike next year, anybody with a clue of how many units of this style are selling would predict the same. I would buy this bike based on the engine, skid plate and a decent suspension and I'll tell you why. I have a dual sport 400 that is over weight and obsolete but it will do any dirt road, trail or single track that I am brave enough to tackle. I'll call this bike 80% dirt/ 20% street because I'll take it almost anywhere in the dirt but there are paved routes and distances that it is not suited for and so I just don't go. Now I see the Yamaha MT-09 dually as 20% dirt/ 80% pavement and would probably go anywhere, anytime cross country but with the potential to take the side roads/ trails that I often come across when doing so. You've been there "Gee, I wonder where that trail goes? Sure wish I had a skid plate and a little better dirt oriented tires."

For me so far, the BMW F800GS comes the closest to this compromise bike but it is still heavy for me, I wanted to like the Triumph 800 but when I sat on it, everything about it felt bigger than the Beemer and it's offroad prowess is written up as not quite as good off road and then again it's heavy also. Now if Yamaha can make a mini Tenere out of the FZ-09 with a little larger tank, engine protection, decent suspension and still keep the wt. down, then I'm in. But if it grows to be a FAT-09 then I'm still out. The FZ-09 is said to weigh 414# wet, take off 22# for fuel, 8# lighter exhaust and we have a 384# dry wt., add back a 19" front wheel, skid plate/engine protection, better suspension, tail rack etc. and it should still be able to be kept to around 400# dry, if they are careful. But if they just throw on the requisite dirty looking parts & accessories to cash in on the GS sales, then I think they'll end up with a heavy bike that will be popular to some, but not to me...Mark

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Watch "the long way round" on Netflix. Ewan McCgregor and his friend take a ride around the world and film it. Good watch for those stuck inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Watch "the long way round" on Netflix. Ewan McCgregor and his friend take a ride around the world and film it. Good watch for those stuck inside.
If you watch this, you have to also watch "Long Way Down".

Same premise but they travel from Scotland to S. Africa. Really cool show and awesome landscapes they ride. I highly recommend to watch.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I saw that, but it doesn't do a thing for me...although I'm not an adventure bike kind of guy. I do believe that Yamaha will get maximum yardage out of the 847cc triple motor though. It's got a ton of potential for a lot of product
Hey Trip....I'm not an adventure bike guy either despite the fact that most my friends ride them. I admit they make sense in Alaska were we have so many gravel and otherwise crummy roads. I agree that Yamaha may start using that triple in other platforms. Maybe I could be converted after all?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yamaha has the ability with the popularity of the -09 to produce one of the hottest selling adventure bikes if they do their homework first, then wrap up the accessories market, clothing etc. and they've got it locked...if they can keep the wt. and the price down...there are a ton of us baby boomers who love the attitude of the FZ-09 but would probably spring for the practicality of the GS version if done right. I think more people would buy the 'right' Japanese adventure bike at below $10k, under 1000cc and below 450# then would even consider the huge and expensive (and thirsty) monster ADV bikes now offered. Heck, for the price of the KTM 1190 ADV bike, a person could buy both versions of the Yamaha -09...and have a dealership just about everywhere..Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yamaha has the ability with the popularity of the -09 to produce one of the hottest selling adventure bikes if they do their homework first, then wrap up the accessories market, clothing etc. and they've got it locked...if they can keep the wt. and the price down...there are a ton of us baby boomers who love the attitude of the FZ-09 but would probably spring for the practicality of the GS version if done right. I think more people would buy the 'right' Japanese adventure bike at below $10k, under 1000cc and below 450# then would even consider the huge and expensive (and thirsty) monster ADV bikes now offered. Heck, for the price of the KTM 1190 ADV bike, a person could buy both versions of the Yamaha -09...and have a dealership just about everywhere..Mark

+1. I've been an dirtbike racer since I was 9, and I'm 60 now. I'm not riding a DRZ from Alaska to Patagonia, even though it covers the bases for single track. Yes, the big adventure bikes are nothing more than SUVs, incapable of true single track operation. I don't even care if they leave the 17" wheels, as long as they get the geometry right for throwing her sideways at 70 on gravel backroads, with all day comfortable seating with a soft top bag out back, I'll ride the thing from Alaska to Patagonia. This is the engine for that package. My Versys is good enough for that task (with sport touring tires), and even my FZ1 can be hustled down a logging road briskly, but the weight and power of the FZ09 could be perfect.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Keep it under 470 lbs wet (w/5 gallon tank) . . . Where do I send my deposit?

The older you get . . . The more you will lean towards Adventure-style bikes. We Baby Boomers are a big market share of the Motorcycle Industry.
I'm so old I fart dust and I've never leaned that way.The adventure bike is the two wheel equivalent of the SUV - most never venture off the pavement.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think KTM makes the better adventure bikes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think KTM makes the better adventure bikes.
KTM makes a 'GREAT' adventure bike...but for 'me' it's big & hvy and expensive and thirsty. My buddies BMW F800GS is a really nice bike, runs and shifts great but is still a bit hvy for what I want, it does however get good MPG's, 50-65 mpg depending on how fast he cruises. If and that's a big IF, Yamaha could keep the wt. down and keep the price reasonable then I think there are more of us in the market for Yamaha's version of the GS type bike then would buy the KTM, Ducati, Beemer combined.

Remember about 15-20 yrs. ago when an English or Scottish company came out with a v- twin called the Highlander (I think), it was sparse, light and had enough power for any sane dirt road/off road cross country rider. If I remember correctly, I think the engine proved to be to fragile...but it was the bike of my dreams at the time, I thought Husky might do the same thing with the 100 hp 900cc version of the BMW F800 twin but 'nope' not to be. Now Yamaha has a chance at the same market, would sell like hot cakes or scones in Europe I'm sure. And if wannabes want it so what, volume keeps the aftermarket happy which keeps us happy and maybe some of those who would never take one offroad feel better thinking they could if they wanted to or maybe want one as an urban assault vehicle for when the zombies attack...I think Yamaha could turn this -09 into the bike that a lot of people would own if they could only own one bike and might view the first -09 as a little to focused...just my opinion...Mark

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The 1190 adventure has 150hp with TC and ABS and weighs 467 and the R version is nearly 17k. The 990 supermoto has 114 hp ABS and weighs 434 costs 14k now if Yamaha could beat the 990 price with the triple I would definitely go that route. But it would not be easy to make a better bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've owned many KTM's, and just a FZ1 and now the FZ9.

The engine in the 9 is amazing for where the power is, and how nice it pulls across the entire range of throttle/rpm.

That said, to get an ADV bike out of the FZ9 frame, you'd need longer travel, some real internals in the forks/shock and a bigger fuel tank, more light, windscreen, and some factory bag mount options. (I think Yamaha is going to do this, so it's already in the works.)

For 10k or less, it would sell all day long, and I might just sell my 2014 FZ9 and buy a ADV9 if Yamaha does it right. (I love ADV bikes for around town, they hop curbs, potholes and traffic like nothing else, and let's face it, while you might never ride to Patagonia, it's fun to think about it while you ride to work 5 days a week.)

One of the things I missed about my FZ and now the FZ9 is the ability to ride over curbs and parking blocks whenever it suited me. (Want to park out of the sunlight, or rain? Just pop up over the curb, and onto the sidewalk, and park up in the shade, and you don't need the wheelchair ramp to get up there like you do with a street bike.)

On the KTM's, you just squared up the impact, and goosed the throttle to lighten the front wheel about the time you hit the curb, and it's up and over in a jiffy. On my 630 RXCe, it would ride over parking curbs all day long. (And rocks of the same size too, but not hit square, they will put you down in a hurry.) But I think it had 9 inches of travel, and WP forks/shock with plenty of adjustment and quality parts inside. (The garbage Yamaha stuck us with on this bike is I'm sure why it's a such a bargain, but I'd gladly pay a few hundred more for something that works, but is not "race" quality like the WP stuff that I consider as good as anything else out there.)

Sure, it's illegal, but let's face it, in most partially empty strip malls, nobody cares if you park up out of traffic, in the shade and grab a meal. And that way you can keep an eye on your bike while you have lunch too.

Pulling a small wheelie off the curb on the FZ09 can be dangerous to the oil pan too. (A factory bashbar/skid plate is needed, anyone going to mass produce one? Or do I have to build my own design with road pegs and a nice light mounting point for dual LED spot lamps?)

I already consider the FZ09 to be a nice SM type bike that has ADV potential on street tires. (Dirt roads and mild off road use should be no problem if you can protect the oil pan.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have ridden everyone of my street bikes on gravel and dirt roads. In snow, too. It can be done.

That said, a proper dirt bike should be light, agile and with a long travel suspension. Under 300 lbs fully loaded with fuel, and all equipment. But you will never get there with all the crap people want to hang on their bikes.

I travel light, regardless of how I travel. A single carry-on for business travel will suffice a week or more. When I travel off road a single backpack of 35 pounds can carry me for a month in temperate environments and two weeks in snowy high elevations.

I am planning on converting a 400-450 cc dirt bike into my "adventure" bike. I will have ready access to larger fuel tanks, skid plates, performance suspension and rugged reliability. Add lights, small tank bag, a custom foamed seat and a luggage rack for my backpack. The last thing is to add would be a complete street front and rear sprocket set with chain (whatever happened to dual range bike transmissions?!) so I could pick which one to use each day. This bike could take me anywhere. In comfort, safety and do it for less and better than anything out there, in my opinion.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nobody has updated this thread to note the FJ-09's arrival. Seems as if many of the commenters here were right, Yamaha did indeed slap the 3-banger into an adventure frame. 4.8 gallon tank and still only 462lbs wet. I think this sounds like a formula for success! Add some knobby tires and then that whole Alaska to Patagonia idea starts to sound pretty phenomenal!

FJ-09, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 Home, Supersport Touring, information

1 - 20 of 29 Posts