Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MCN Test of Nakeds, including the MT-09

In todays edition of MCN, there is a group test of 4 naked bikes.
I am not sure, how long time they have spend doing the test - in fact, I think it is purely done from the editors desk.

Also, please have in mind, that MCN is a UK newspaper, that favours anything British :mad: so take the end result with a grain of salt.....
Here goes part 1:
p1.jpg p2.jpg p3.jpg p4.jpg

Part 2 follows in next post :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Even though our FZ09 didn't win, consider the source, and the fact that apparently (The print is too small for me to read), they did not consider price as a criterion, it seems that the test was weighted for the Triumph to win.
If you take the difference in price and replace the shortcomings of the FZ09 with better components to minimize those shortcomings, there probably would be a different result. Further, they complain WAAAAAY too much about the response in A mode. If I can use A mode with no problem, (and I can) then they need to surrender their testers license!
And I'm 74 years old.

·
Registered
601 Posts
stillkickin, haha!

Funny and I agree. BIKE (UK), with a better reputation than MCN, actually scored the FZ9 above their country's Street Triple in most criteria.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I saw that headline, Alley, but the mag has not hit our local bookstore yet, and I'm anxious to read the whole article.
There will be many comparisons in the coming months, some probably with different results. I'm ready and anxious to read them all.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the striple winning didn't surprise me. what surprised me was how well the z800 placed despite being about 75 pounds heavier than necessary, and how brutal they were on the brutale - 'in short, it's terrible to ride'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The MCN is without any credability in the uk. They are so biased in favour of Triumph that they could be the official sponsors.
Obviously Triumph feel massively threatened by MT09 and are keen to keep hold of their rating.
Ironically, the article was then followed by 3 pages of Triumph ads.
I have had all this when they tried to dis-credit my suzuki GSR750-which is a brilliant bike!
I notice the mcn never refer to the fact that the Street triple r only gives 40mpg (Appalling)
Don't value the opinion of the testers who mistake the word 'snatchy' for 'responsive'.
Perhaps they have relied on technology for so long on sports bikes that they have lost touch with simple bike handling skills.
As for the Kawasaki coming second ??!!
This paper puts down anything over 200kgs as being 'tooo heavy'-slow and sluggish. now all of a sudden its described as 'old school' ?
(as in 'retro cool)
I now await similar magazines to be attempting to shoot down the competition of the 'highest bidder'.
I only value comparisons from independent countries and people who have owned both bikes.
As far as i am concerned, the MT09/FZ-09 is 'The daddy !

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I read it and got a kick out of how scared they were of the Brutale. They rated my 954 Fireblade as the best bike ever, but it has a twitchy throttle response and headshake from hell. It did seem obvious that they were looking for ways to keep the Triumph with no suspension clickers on the top spot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They'll say what ever triumph payed them to say! And does it really matter what they say if you like your 09 just ride and let them talk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't know how many of you are familiar with MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS. No, not the English rag that is mentioned in this thread, but the AMERICAN published MCN. You cannot get it on the newsstand, that I know of. It is by subscription only.They take NO advertising. Zero, Nada, Zip. To me, it is the BIBLE of motorcycle mags! The tests are the most thorough and detailed of ANY mag, by far. They have a monthly psychological article, a monthly lawyer article, a monthly health article, how to ride articles plus evaluations of various tools, riding apparel, and on and on.
If you've not seen it, you owe it to yourself as a real enthusiast to get it!
Cheapest rate is through Amazon. It is the Consumer Reports of the motorcycle world....but better!

·
Registered
601 Posts
The MCN is without any credability in the uk.
I like BIKE. Just renewed my subscription after six years away. Seems a bit thinner now.

But they always had the most interesting articles. Made the U.S. mags seem lazy and uncreative. And they typically pulled no punches in their bike reviews.

They actually preferred the FZ-09 over the Street Triple in their latest review, saying it clearly had the better engine and overall was more refined.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I like BIKE. Just renewed my subscription after six years away. Seems a bit thinner now.

But they always had the most interesting articles. Made the U.S. mags seem lazy and uncreative. And they typically pulled no punches in their bike reviews.

They actually preferred the FZ-09 over the Street Triple in their latest review, saying it clearly had the better engine and overall was more refined.
BIKE is my favorite motorcycling mag. You can get a 1 year subscription in the United States from this company, $64/yr delivered and worth every penny:

Magazine Subscriptions, Motorsport Publications LLC- Classic Motorcycle Magazines and Books- Motorsport Publications LLC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts