Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My third bike was the first one I had with anything like real muscle: an '86 Yamaha Fazer 700. Remember what those looked like? They had chrome air scoops on the side to mimic the then-new Vmax. I wish I had a picture to post.
Anyway, I finally decided to throw some retro bling on Lana. Best money I've spent on her so far...

P1020444.jpg P1020445.jpg P1020446.jpg

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I love the infinite variety of mods that the members here do to the FZ. Looks great Boomer...unique

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
Interesting for sure. I'm thinking you could get that look with some chrome vinyl wrap.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Interesting for sure. I'm thinking you could get that look with some chrome vinyl wrap.
I think he already has. Cool to see a non-mainstream mod.

Personally I'd like to totally get rid of the fake air scoops. But beyond my skills to get the tank to blend right with the frame and big bucks to pay a pro to do it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried wrapping the scoops with a chrome vinyl sheeting but it wouldn't stick. I was afraid the seams would be visible, too. So I sent it off to have it "vacuum metalized" at a specialty chrome plating shop in CA. The vacuum metalizing process cost $75 apiece, whereas actual chrome plating would've been something like $250 each.
And sorry, Bigweb, but no smoked flyscreen. Maybe it'll hurt your eyes less when I've properly matched the color and clear-coated it.

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
I tried wrapping the scoops with a chrome vinyl sheeting but it wouldn't stick. I was afraid the seams would be visible, too. So I sent it off to have it "vacuum metalized" at a specialty chrome plating shop in CA.
Vacuum metalized. I'm going to have to research that. Sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same story here, my second bike was the FZ700 Fazer. This is what the design of the FZ-09 reminds me of too - great job of paying respect to the past! I really like the look of the chrome scoops!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts