Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25 years riding. Georgia born-living in Atlanta. Currently, 1976 CB550K, 2001 DR650, 2008 Tiger 1050.
States ridden: North Georgia, North Carolina, East Tennessee, Virginia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont,
Arkansas, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana.
Favorite rides: GA60, TN68, NC215, VA US58, CO141, ID US12&93, MO112, AR123. Those being some of the highlights.
Honestly, the southern Appalachian region is covered in less well known/promoted roads. I do try to stick with less
traditional/busy roads that are as good as any of the more cluttered favorites. While I live in Atlanta,
I'll ride in Arkansas and southern Missouri at least a once a year, if not more. Every third year I try to get out west.
I used to be an avid race fan, but I don't have any buds that race WERA these days and The AMA has really gone in
the outhouse. In the past I've managed to catch racing at VIR, Road America, Laguna Seca. Barber and Road Atlanta.
Used to really enjoy going to the all-bike drags at Rockingham in the fall. Now, my only race fan experience is a trip
every three years, or so, to the Isle of Man TT. I am not financially flush, I just stash away my milk money for my trips.

I've ridden for 15 years with a really great group of guys that ride everything from ADV bikes, to repli-racers, to thumpers,
to dirt bikes and they have been inclusive and supportive. For 10 years I've been the "guy" for planning our twice-a-year
rallies that typically encompass 4 day trips of around 1100 miles. That has been my way to pay it forward as a thanks for
making me a better rider and keeping me relatively safe.

I also co-host a rather useless and amateurish weekly podcast, Electric Koolaid for the Road, on Blog Talk Radio.

My Triumph Tiger1050 is a staggeringly fine piece of kit, but I just don't need it. Sweet on the road and in the tight stuff too,
but it's just not me. I'd rather be on my DR650 for 90% of the riding I do. Light and easy.

I'll sell my Tiger in the next several weeks and then see about a replacement. The FZ09 is number 1 on my list of possibilities.
I look forward to gathering enough info on this site to help me with my decision.

Thanks for reading,
~fish

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
DR-650's are great do it all bikes. I had a DRZ-400 my neighbor had the 650. We didn't know ea other but one day I was pulling out of my driveway as he was pulling out of his and we ended up riding riding out to the mountains and up nasty hillclimbs and singletrack on weekends together. Dependable as hell and so easy to work on. I miss my DRZ, will probably get another one.

Just got my FZ yesterday and am praying for good weather to go break it in.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum RTF. Sounds like you've been around motorcycles for a while too. There are a bunch of us on here that have 30 plus years and a few of us that 40+ years........which makes me about 3 days older than dirt! I spend a lot of time at Barber, some a Road Atlanta, and at least a couple of days at Little Tally.....all with Sportbike Track Time. Check out the schedule on the STT website and if you are in the neighborhood during one of the R.A. events, come by and say Hi.....we usually do about 16 to 18 days a year.

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other choices are KTM Duke 690 and...well, there are no other choices.

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and knobby...Idaho is one of my all time favorite destinations. Beautiful scenery, great off-pavement riding and as I posted, US12 is a fantastic road when the DOT boys haven't just laid the chip-seal. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
US 12 is an awesome ride. Thru Idaho and Montana.
That's for sure! It's the kind of road that begs you to roll through there at hyperspeed.
Fortunately, on the western leg I took it easy to gaze upon the spectacular scenery and then cranked it
up on the return leg back to Lochsa Lodge. I just love that part of the country.

~fish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts