3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering this for serious developing of skills & Track use.:cool:

image.jpg

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He says, "I can't go much lower." lOL. He's right. If it's been well maintained & is mechanically sound it could last for a decade or more...:)

I'm just not sure about the color.:cool:

Very very tempting.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2015 Yamaha Road Race Contingency Program
There is opportunity to participate in a class with the new r3. Your support , my support , others here could be buying wolf pups dressed for track days. Trailer in the track bike and your fz-09 to a weekend of track and tour fun.
The r3 is listed in the rules at the bottom of link.
I'm not hearing such good things about the R3. One of the members here recently bought one and posted it was anemic, and the choice of the R3 was one that boiled down to being "the best of the worst." I noted the CBR wasn't among consideration.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Steve........N.A.D.A. average price shows $2740 on the bike, which is what a dealer might charge if they were trying to sell it. The only thing that might concern me is the availability of decent track rubber for it that would be easy to come by. Front is 110/70/17 and the rear is a 140/70/17. Do some checking to find out if those tire sizes are readily available in a good tire for the track.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Steve, if you are even considering the R3, you seriously need to read the article in the SportRider magazine.......lots and lots of positives by the staff over there, and those guys are just casual motorcycle riders/journalist, they are pretty hardcore riders, some with some pretty extensive race backgrounds.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve, if you are even considering the R3, you seriously need to read the article in the SportRider magazine.......lots and lots of positives by the staff over there, and those guys are just casual motorcycle riders/journalist, they are pretty hardcore riders, some with some pretty extensive race backgrounds.

Thanks for the tip on the tires.

Re: R3, I've read plenty here about how it handles and its inability to get out of its own way....I trust one of our own before any journalist.:cool:

And this baby is $3k less OTD verses the new R3. That's huge.:p

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm just not sure about the color.
I am assuming the blu cru meaning yamaha. You write color but I read brand. It's easy to get a bargain deal the expense out lots in gear from the clothes to the paint on your trailer. Before you know it all your friends are red color only.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm not hearing such good things about the R3. One of the members here recently bought one and posted it was anemic, and the choice of the R3 was one that boiled down to being "the best of the worst." I noted the CBR wasn't among consideration.
'
Cause the CBR was the worst, followed by the Ninja, then the R3 as the best of the worst. The 390 is in another category because of price and dealership support and reliability. The CBR is a great beginners bike. Like "I never rode a motorcycle" bike

Steve, I wouldn't waste your time. The R3 is gorgeous. It looks amazing and at least has that going for it. It looks like a bigger bike without the high insurance. With the FZ6, you likely won't have much use for the CBR. If you like having lots of bikes, go for it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Re: R3, I've read plenty here about how it handles and its inability to get out of its own way....I trust one of our own before any journalist.:cool:

I don't know your financial situation, but for that used CBR vs the R3 for 5k out the door, I would get the R3. If you are okay with the power of the FZ, you will be bored silly. You can also get a used CBR600RR for 5k or less. Insurance will be crazy and the seating position is like 45 degrees.

My next bike will likely be the Indian Scout next summer. It doesn't feel like a training bike and is a change from the FZ. The FZ is the best all around bike though.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts

Personally, I would be willing to trust the likes of Kent Kunitsugu and Bradley Adams. Here is a quote from Kent after spending half a day on the bike (first half of the day was on the street, second half was at Thunderhill's 1.9 mile West Course) at the track.

"Whether braking deep into corners or flicking through achicane at speed, the Yamaha continually impress us with its composure that didn't force us to rein in the pace for fear of overpowering the chassis or suspension."

"The R3's engine clearly has the advantage over its smaller competition. There's more power everywhere, especially in the upper reaches of the RPM band near the parallel twin's 12,500 RPM redline, but don't think you have to keep it wailing up there to get good steam. There's enough mid-range power that you can keep the smooth shifting gearbox a cog higher and still be able to accelerate smartly."

And that's just a few of the positive things that Kent had to say about the R3, and remember, Kent is a former racer, not just some scribe that rides once in a while.

·
Super Moderator
4,374 Posts
Man...replace that brake lever, get a belly pan, a race faring, some clip ons, rear set adapters, a race slip on and some stickier street tires
and you could go racing.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The Honda does fall down when it is reviewed along side the competition. Or is it just my hate for anything Honda because of those dumb a$$ Honda Power Centre's they have here??? Who has a bike shop and only sells Honda motorcycles, Honda riding gear, Honda accessories, and nothing else? Oh sorry, you can buy a Honda lawn mower there too, lol. :p

·
Registered
343 Posts
My concern is did yamaha Go too high cc since honda stayed below 300. Class regulations and rules through blu cru schedule race dates don't have links to the rules of the bikes and riders eligibility. For 2015 honda updated that bike 37cc and that one may be too old to participate.
Also like to add a couple of thoughts about this Steve . I think he would be an asset to yamaha trackside. It may be just training that he will complete. We could find ourselves learning the approach to take through his experiences on the forum. There is a lot more to motorcycle racing than riding the bike itself. I realized that next year's bikes usually find track testing first before getting to teams and public and keeping him riding blu as a tester would be a good choice for yamaha. They could get feedback from his learning curve by putting the 2016 r3 and setting up school and training times.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had a then-new 2011 CBR250R and while it was a bit of a dog, power-wise, it handled decently and I felt like it'd corner until my elbows dragged - even on the stock IRCs!
Check out replacement plastic for it. Not sure how time has changed things. But, a front fairing side panel was only like $75. It all came off fairly easily, too. A down side of ownership for me was oil filter costs. The filter was like $11 and the separate gasket was $12! It was a one-use-only crush-type metal gasket for the internal filter housing. So, yea, you need a new one every time. And the (luckily) long-lasting spark plug was over $30. The CBR was fun while it lasted. I traded it in on a FZ-8!
Here are some day 1 photos plus a later "action" shot.
Newest Thumper.jpg
unpacking.jpg
IMG_5947.jpg

Reactions: Camp49

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Steve, don't let anyone talk you into a bigger bike as your first track bike. Also, spending as little as possible is important because you WILL crash it at some point (my guess is 3rd or 4th track day, I'll start a pool LOL). Seriously though, learning on small bikes will go a very long way to making you a far better rider. It's too bad you don't live closer to me. There are a lot of CBR250's fully race prepped for sale. With the strong US$ you could get a hell of a deal. That would be my only input. Try to get a race prepped bike. It'll save you money on suspension and other upgrades. Does WERA have a 250 cup or something?

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
One of the few exceptions to the above from DoozerDave might be something like an SV650 or even an FZ07.........lightweight and pretty easy to toss around out there. And between those two, the SV would get the nod simply because there are literally tens of thousands of them out there and spare parts are as easy to find as ticks on an outside dog.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts