Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may recall last week I was in the Deals Gap North Carolina area, on my stock suspended 09. I had ordered a Matris shock from PJ's parts.com, and was expecting it soon (Matris "KF" Rear Shock for Yamaha FZ-09, PJ's Parts). I arrived at the "Gap" on Sunday 9/21 in the afternoon. Unloaded, geared up and hit the hill, however it was short lived as it started to rain so the evening was cut short.
Monday started off beautiful with great weather and little traffic, I made a few passes up and down the hill and over to Robbinsville for lunch at the HUB. The stock suspension was liveable on these roads, as the surface is near perfect, I am talking near track quality if you have never been there. By liveable I merely mean that if you had to keep the stock setup you could as long as you didn't push to hard, and you were on these roads only, a mild pace was doable. Start pushing and the bike got bouncy.
When I got to the HUB for lunch I had a voicemail from PJ's parts that my shock was in and that if I wanted to come by their place I could pick it up. They of course included a picture via text to tease me, I couldn't say no. So I made the ride solo from the DGMR over to PJ's parts. I have bought many, many, parts from PJ and Paige, great folks who are riders themselves and want to do good to other riders and provide the best experience possible. They went above and beyond!
PJ offered his assistance to help me install the shock then and there! Now installation is not their bread and butter, they provide items, not install them. PJ was willing to help as this was the first one they have sold and he wanted to see what was involved so he could better relay information to potential customers. Removal of the stock shock, and install of the Matris was super easy. It took maybe 45 minutes, not to mention we removed it a few times to get the compression and sag set. Further the tank did not need to be removed, we did it all without removing the tank.
On the ride back to the "Gap" to say I was giddy would be an understatement. The bike was completely settled, no bouncing, no compression when exiting curves under accleration etc. I am very pleased with the handling improvement. The improvement made by the shock has made the inadequacies of the forks a little less. Now the forks will need some attention when I can. but this has made the bike more enjoyable. Now I can use the engine closer to it's potential.
I am on duty today, so I will post pics when I get home tomorrow.
JCIII

·
Registered
142 Posts
since this is priced at $995, I gotta ask the obvious...how would this unit performed compared to the Penske 8983?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
What a difference huh! PJ is just that kind of guy and Paige is nicer than PJ...........(don't tell him I said that :cool: ). I live about 7 or 8 miles from them now and they are just good folks...thru and thru.

Reactions: FZjohn

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
since this is priced at $995, I gotta ask the obvious...how would this unit performed compared to the Penske 8983?
My off the cuff guess would be not a noticeable difference. I will say this, I have ridden and owned bikes with full Ohlins, ridden a couple bikes with Penske products. Both of course good equipment, however none of the bikes that I owned with full Ohlins felt like i could never get the suspension streetable, if that makes sense. Always to harsh of a ride for all but the best of pavement. The reason I went with the Matris shock is that a few years back a friend had an R1 with the full Matris setup. The ride was great, more every day usable than Ohlins. Then when he got it serviced the suspension tech told him that all of the Matris internals were as well built, and as high of a quality as Ohlins. Now I am in no way knocking Penske, I just like to try different things. As well after riding some local roads today, I really like the Matris. Not to mention getting to support a good retailer in PJ'sparts.
JCIII

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My off the cuff guess would be not a noticeable difference. I will say this, I have ridden and owned bikes with full Ohlins, ridden a couple bikes with Penske products. Both of course good equipment, however none of the bikes that I owned with full Ohlins felt like i could never get the suspension streetable, if that makes sense. Always to harsh of a ride for all but the best of pavement. The reason I went with the Matris shock is that a few years back a friend had an R1 with the full Matris setup. The ride was great, more every day usable than Ohlins. Then when he got it serviced the suspension tech told him that all of the Matris internals were as well built, and as high of a quality as Ohlins. Now I am in no way knocking Penske, I just like to try different things. As well after riding some local roads today, I really like the Matris. Not to mention getting to support a good retailer in PJ'sparts.
JCIII
My experience with the Ohlins shock is the same as yours. On the street the Ohlins is valved too stiff. I even had an brand new Ohlins shock revalved by Traxxion Dynamics.....and it was still a bit harsh. Ohlins stuff works great on the track...but not so good on a street only bike.

And Mike and Paige are first rate. I've known them since 2006.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I placed an order a couple of weeks ago for both the Matris (KF) rear shock and a set of Matris fork cartridges. Been emailing back and forth with PJ and I am quite excited to see what these components will do for the FZ. Should be here in a week or so. Cant wait!!!! :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I placed an order a couple of weeks ago for both the Matris (KF) rear shock and a set of Matris fork cartridges. Been emailing back and forth with PJ and I am quite excited to see what these components will do for the FZ. Should be here in a week or so. Cant wait!!!! :)
You will be most pleased!

Sorry for not posting pics, my two off days were full. When I get off duty in the am I will be off for two weeks, so I should have time to post the pic!
JCIII

·
Registered
136 Posts
So this seems like a pretty good alternative to the Penske shock and the forks StoltecMoto was selling. Anyone have any info on how well the Matris Fork kit performs? Sorry to slightly hi-jack your thread Firerider, just looking for alternatives.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice little review of the shock. I went over to PJ's site to look at the shock and see they have a basic Matris shock (KD) also. Thinking that might be as good as the either Penske or Ohlins version for a little cheaper price. On hold for the next come days until I hear back from Computrack Boston on what they can price a complete front and rear setup for me. Might go with the Penske if it's priced right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412547412.397720.jpg

JCIII

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412547452.102229.jpg
JCIII

·
Registered
601 Posts
You'll have another huge grin after installing the right fork springs. It handles like it's supposed to then. Very quick!

PJ is a solid citizen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^ Yes sir.
JCIII

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
This new shock has got my attention. Especially the comments about its plush ride.

I would love to hear more about how it rides over the bigger bumps at freeway speeds.

Being an old fart with a bad back I could use a more plush shock.

Last time I went to the dentist he had to tighten up my fillings. Told him they were jarred loose while riding my bike. Lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
^^ Yes sir.
JCIII
Really like the reservoir mounting bracket on the FZ-09. So much cleaner looking than the Penske band clamp around a frame brace. If I thought a piggyback reservoir would work for our FZ-09's I would go it instead. Like how the Martris bracket makes look part of the bike. Did PJ's say where we can get the shock service?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really like the reservoir mounting bracket on the FZ-09. So much cleaner looking than the Penske band clamp around a frame brace. If I thought a piggyback reservoir would work for our FZ-09's I would go it instead. Like how the Martris bracket makes look part of the bike. Did PJ's say where we can get the shock service?
He didn't, but I will ask. I'll also ask the guy I know who had the R1 with full Matris who did his work.
JCIII

1 - 20 of 38 Posts