Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I wasn't entirely sure if this question should go here or in the How To section.

I am trying to find out the exact name of the paint color used on my orange FZ-09. I have seen it called Blazing Orange but I don't know if that's descriptive enough for a paint shop. I was told to check with colorrite.com but they only have two colors listed for the 2014 FZ-09: Red and Black. No orange color lot shows up on there yet.

I want to buy a new white helmet and have it painted metallic orange (Blazing Orange) to match the tank, complete with the black and silver racing stripes. I think it will look really nice but not too gaudy. Several years back when I had a Yamaha Radian (my "starter" bike) I actually had the tank painted to match my helmet (metallic red) and it always looked really good together. This time, it's the reverse. I found a couple of local places that professionally paint helmets - usually way more complex than what I'd like done. I just need the exact paint lot.

I might also have the two plastic pieces beneath the seat painted orange. For some reason the Orange FZ-09 just comes with the tank painted whereas the red FZ-09 has those two pieces beneath the seat and the front fender painted red.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy I spoke with seemed to think it shouldn't be too difficult to match but I was hoping to get an actual lot number. He did caution that I get a fiberglass helmet not a polycarbonate because he suggested the thinners and such used in automotive paint could affect the integrity of the polycarbonate. Another shop I spoke with said "that's an old wive's tale" so I don't know who to believe. I think I would probably err on the side of caution and go with a fiberglass helmet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thought one of these would match nice but they're a Europe only item and WAY pricey compared to US prices...
Shoei Transmission XR1100 TC8 .... on eBay (can't get link to work from phone)
Same as RF-1100 but there is an orange stripe option outside the US.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I am also thinking about getting a Helmet and having it matched to my blazing orange bike. It would look great matched up and blazing orange on a helmet would be a good safety factor to have as well.

I'm thinking about the Bell RS1.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been eyeing the Shoei GT Air since I really want to get a helmet with a drop down sun visor and I believe the shell is fiberglass, as the motorcycle helmet painter suggested. I always hate the feel of sunglasses against my temples inside a snug helmet and dealing with daytime vs. nighttime riding with a tinted vs. a non-tinted visor makes the drop down sun visor very appealing to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've been eyeing the Shoei GT Air since I really want to get a helmet with a drop down sun visor and I believe the shell is fiberglass, as the motorcycle helmet painter suggested. I always hate the feel of sunglasses against my temples inside a snug helmet and dealing with daytime vs. nighttime riding with a tinted vs. a non-tinted visor makes the drop down sun visor very appealing to me.
A bit off topic but since you mentioned day/night driving .. you can currently get a transitioning shield for Bell helmets and Shoei is coming out with their own. I've put a pre-order in for shield to go with my Shoei RF-1100 (with Revzilla if you need a source). They were supposed to be shipping in late March but have extended out a few months more. Try out the visors though to see if the edges might interfere with your line of vision. I believe the GT Air visor went all the way around and worked well in the store but there were other cheaper helmets where the drop down visor didn't go all the way to the sides and almost felt like blind spots to me where the edges were.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Painting a poly-carbonate helmet with solvent based paint will make it brittle like egg-shells....not an old wive's tale. If you choose to do it, it is your head that's in the helmet...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
^ what he said.
Use only good quality paints or get a airbrush artist to do it with water based colors. I paint my helmets and when I switched to polycarb helmets, I switched to Airbrush colors though still hand painted. I am slowly trying to develop my air brushing skills to see how it goes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Painting a poly-carbonate helmet with solvent based paint will make it brittle like egg-shells....not an old wive's tale. If you choose to do it, it is your head that's in the helmet...
I'm not choosing to do it, which is why I said I was going to get a fiberglass helmet to be on the safe side, "wives tale" or not. As for the transition visor that was suggested, somebody at my gym also mentioned those existed now; I had never been aware of them before. I'll see what's available now with current helmets. Either way - transition visor or drop down - I definitely want my next helmet to solve the day/night problem I've always hated about cycle helmets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts