Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the master cylinder bore size is on an FZ-09?
To me the brakes feel wooden.
I want to replace mine with a master cylinder with a smaller bore size.
I also intend to add steel braided brake lines and upgrade the pads.
(Yes, I know I could take the dang thing apart and measure it but I am lazy and hoping someone can save me the trouble.)
Also suggestions for pads would be apprcicted as well.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Start with the SB lines and EBC brake pads... more then enough IMO.

On race cars we play with line size too, not sure how it will work in bikes... if any. Mist common lines are -3. We use -2. -3 fitting to -2 hose are available and you can buy few foot of braided line and make them yourself.

But that would be a drastic change maybe. Lines and EBC pads could throw you over the bars if you just grab them hard like a on/off switch! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
These brakes feel like the ones on both my Ninja 650 and Versys. I replaced with Beringer items. WOW, what a difference...of course there should be for that kind of doe. No ABS on out fz-09 so I want 2 finger feel and power and these stockers just don't cut it. I found some I like with 14 mm bore but I am afraid that is going to small. I expect 18-21 on this bike.
What model EBC? Not so sure I want HH pads. I don't (intend to) brake that hard and those things can eat a disk.

·
Registered
877 Posts
These brakes feel like the ones on both my Ninja 650 and Versys. I replaced with Beringer items. WOW, what a difference...of course there should be for that kind of doe. No ABS on out fz-09 so I want 2 finger feel and power and these stockers just don't cut it. I found some I like with 14 mm bore but I am afraid that is going to small. I expect 18-21 on this bike.
What model EBC? Not so sure I want HH pads. I don't (intend to) brake that hard and those things can eat a disk.
Where did you get the Beringers from ?

The wooden feel may have gone away after 100 or 200 miles.

I would guess the size for most modern 2 disk bikes to be 19 to 21 mm.

Smaller may have more hydraulic leverage, but more travel on the lever.

The larger bore would be fine, and stopping power would be 1 to 2 fingers after things settle in.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'm running stock pads and Spiegler braided lines and the brakes feel just fine.....two finger pull, and I AM a hard braker. I took the bike to Road Atlanta for a track day in November and the brakes worked very well, and that was BEFORE the braided lines.

AND, if you "don't intend to brake that hard", then why are you concerned about a different masters and different pads and different lines?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because compared to GOOD brakes to me these feel like blocks of wood. I have to squeeze these way to hard to have the necessary finesse to get the most out of the bike while not locking things up. I ride the roads and not the track where brakes are even more important. No corner workers to warn of oil spots or sand and gravel run offs, etc. I guess "braking hard" is a relative thing isn't it. I ride for fun but I do ride fast. (well for an old fart anyway)
Of course if the bore is smaller the travel is further, that's how you get the mechanical advantage. Imagine a braking system where the lever never moved at all, it simply detected the amount of force that you were applying....our hands and brain are not made for that, they work best with a combination of travel and force. We get feedback from both our hands and the bikes reaction to determine what needs to be done.
It also helps that the Beringers have tiny real bearings on the lever.
See the head Frog here for Beringers

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Just curious how many miles you have on the bike and if they are really bedded in. Honestly, my track bike (CBR600RR) has excellent brakes.....braided lines, Motul RBF 600 fluid, and Vesrah RJL pads and they are better than the FZ is in it's present form, but not by a whole lot. I'm just kind of surprised that you think the brakes on the FZ are "wooden" feeling. That is not usually what any of the braking complaints are with this bike.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess all I can say in my own defense is that I like what I like.
BTW, did you know that in MotoGP the Brembo brakes for each of the top riders are custom made just for them? No 2 are alike.
Nope, I am not comparing myself to someone like that, just stating my own feelings. If you like the brakes well great. Personally I don't so I intend to change them. Some people will find nothing wrong with the stock bikes exhaust, others will, same with the seats.
You are confusing my personal opinion with fact and for some reason seem to want to change my opinion. That's not going to happen. I guess I should have just asked if anyone knew the bore size and left it at that, but nope, I had to open my big mouth and slam your new pride and joy (well it seems some of you have took it like that anyway). If I did not think this was a great bike for the money I sure would not have bought one; but perfect...no it is not.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yep, brake feel and set up is a personal preference thing.

The one 26 mile ride on my 09 is my first ride in 10 years, so I don't have a fully developed opinion of the stock brakes yet. I'll use braided lines for sure. I want to change the bars, will likely change the master cylinder for reservoir clearance, I don't know what bore size.

New after market radials are expensive, I think I heard to look for late model GSXR masters on eBay etc.

Question: What years, models etc of GSXRs? Do they all have the same bore size? Buying tips? I'm an eBay newbie lol.

Of course there is mechanical leverage in the lever too, I don't know if bore size of a GSXR radial directly relates to the bore size of the stock 09 master.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings Bro. I just suggest to tey the braided lines and EBC pads before dumping your pay check on a master cylinder. Since your brakes are still bone stock... start from there. Since the 9 seems to use older R6 calipers... I did start searching for bigger rotors and I believe if someone want to dig... might find some. Afternarket R6 master might be waht you need...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Pegasus.....I am not trying to persuade you to not do what you want on the bike, but simply asking questions and relating personal experience that I've had, in hopes of maybe seeing if you have really bedded the brake pads in. If they aren't, a "wooden" brake feeling might exist, but would go away with use. You know what you like/dislike and far be it from me to tell you that. It's your bike and I sincerely hope you are enjoying the heck out of it and get it exactly the way that YOU want it.

On a totally different subject here, you don't happen to know a fella named Bob Wentz up that way do ya? Last time I saw him he was on a Beemer of some sort.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Bob is an old friend/riding buddy from years ago when I lived in the St. Louis area and rode with STLAR, a local club.

·
Registered
730 Posts
15 mm.... it's on the front of the mc. An old R1 (pre-radial mc) had a 14mm mc, and bit better feel at
the lever.
I would guess the size for most modern 2 disk bikes to be 19 to 21 mm.

Smaller may have more hydraulic leverage, but more travel on the lever.

The larger bore would be fine, and stopping power would be 1 to 2 fingers after things settle in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts