Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my first track day under the belt now! I ad the (s) because, it won't be the last for sure.

It was an evening even at Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR). Track open at 2:00 pm, I was 2nd in line. Weather was perfect until about 1 hr before green flag. Total down poor! It never rain during any session but the track was soak in the first few session (class session for me) Has the day went on the track partially dried out but the water was draining across the track in few area... mostly turns. Overall I had a blast!

The 09 was pretty solid all evening. I never felt like I needed some more of something, especially power! I started with the speed sensor disconnected as a test. I didn't really notice anything in the first 2 sessions since it was a lead/follow group thing and I was on B mode because of the wet track. On the 3rd session the straightway was dry and T10 too :D so this is when I switch to STD (Nick special). It didn't got rid of the speed limiter for me and I didn't feel like the bike was pulling as hard as it should. I wasn't sure if other bike were faster or not but something didn't feel right. I was still hitting the speed limiter but near the end of the straightway. So session 4 I connected the SS back in, :sign13:!!! Now it was back to normal. So that back up what someone here mention about loosing 50 HP. Not sure if this is 50HP but a fairly noticeable difference in acceleration for sure. I was on the SL about 2/3 of the way and just hold it there in 5th gear. But up to there I didn't find any bike pulling on me that much, if anything most of the bike were coming at me :) The 09 pull so strong coming off the corner, love this bike!

The pro:

List is too long. Engine torque curve makes things easier. Even if I wasn't in the right gear sometime, I was able to pull out the corner easily. Suspension is pretty solid and never felt I needed more of something, very well balance.

The Pirelli Angle GT were rock solid! Ran 30/30 hot, well warm. Not enough grip on the track to load the tire enough. Chicken strip are about 1/8" and the wear pattern look perfect to me (let me know otherwise). I was able to carry a fair amount of speed & lean in corners that were still wet. Few time I got a little 2 wheel drift (few inches) on a wet patch in a middle of a corner but it hook up right away.

Cons:

Front breaks (R1's set up) are a killer! But I wish I got the EBC Pro Extreme pads I ordered (received the wrong one). Also those China knock off gotta go! They are fine for normal street use but when I use them hard I can feel the friction area change and it give some sort jerky feedback. Kind of like the ABS come on in a cage. It kind of upset the bike a little and trail braking suffer. I will go with a solid (non-wave) rotor design. EBC pro contour I think is the one I will get or some R1 OEM with the Extreme Pro pad (less initial bite) I think it will be the perfect set up.

Speed limiter, got to go for the next track even! I had the Speedo Healer there but didn't plug it in. I wasn't sure 100% if I had to go green or red (+/-) and didn't want to ruined a session to figure it out. I will set it up on the street so next time I can just swap the settings and go (hope it work)

Other than that, nothing bad to say about the bike. I was the weakest link in the whole deal. LOL I need to work on relaxing my grip, I think I bend the handlebars last night. I think my body position was ok for the most part, I just need to be more consistent on every turn and relaxing my grip will avoid to get tired and making mistakes. That was the main reason to make the last 2 sessions a bit shorter for me and skip one to get some rest.

All in all it was a blast! It was really nice to be able to ride and not worry about incoming traffic, cages on cel phone or the Popo! LOL The 09 is a solid bike once sort out. I will recommend anyone here to give novice track day a shot. No need to ride like Rossi to have fun. Just go out there and do your thing.

One last thing, steering damper. For the street I will compare that to an exhaust system. Really need it? Absolutely not but it's personal preference. Some thinks they do and some not, either way its fine... no one is wrong. For the track, I was border line few time. Steering got very light few time. Never shown sign of tank slapper or naything like that but in the corner it would have give me a bit more stability and make up a bit for some awkward steering input that I had... once a bit tired.

So one more thing on the list for next track day, just wish I didn't have to raise my bars 3/4". Maybe I can find different bars that will end up about the same height. I really like the riding position I have now and do not want to change it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Great post. Glad you did it & had a Blast.:cool:

It's high up there on my Bucket List.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
554 Posts
Congrat Marthy! Sounds like you had a great time and the bike did great too. I've done two trackdays now and had a blast too. Cant wait to get back out there! Gotta love these bikes and their ability to rock it in so many ways!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcom to the addiction my friend! Start looking around in your garage/house and try to figure out some things to sell that you don't really need anymore.........cause that money will be spent on doing T.D.s :cool: AND NO........most track day organizations will NOT take kid/wives/ex-wives/ or that type of stuff for payment for a T.D.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcom to the addiction my friend! Start looking around in your garage/house and try to figure out some things to sell that you don't really need anymore.........cause that money will be spent on doing T.D.s :cool: AND NO........most track day organizations will NOT take kid/wives/ex-wives/ or that type of stuff for payment for a T.D.
I know... need an exhaust? LOL

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
congrats!

My advice, when you enter a corner, grip the tank with your legs and flap your arms like a chicken to relax your grip. Thats a good way to check yourself so your not gripping or resting on the bars. This will also reduce potential tank slap. Once you have checked yourself you will realize the bike needs very little steering input while leaned over or when you need to flick or stand the bike back up. I practice this all the time in the canyons and it helps me re-focus on the exit, throttle input and body position. When you grip too much or are too stiff, the bike gives you too much info which can be distracting.

I'll be hitting the track soon, my new 1-piece is gonna arrive this week. A few more things and I'll be ready.

Question, do they make you run water wetter coolant for the track out there?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Each track and/or Track Day organization has their own rules for what coolant they allow on the track. As an example, STT, the company that I work for says that regular coolant is OK in the Novice group. When you get to Intermediate or Advanced, you much change it out with one of their required coolants. Like I said, each org. may have different rules. Check ahead of time with the org that you will be riding with.

Reactions: mango_sv

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Each track and/or Track Day organization has their own rules for what coolant they allow on the track. As an example, STT, the company that I work for says that regular coolant is OK in the Novice group. When you get to Intermediate or Advanced, you much change it out with one of their required coolants. Like I said, each org. may have different rules. Check ahead of time with the org that you will be riding with.
i thought so, it seems all the groups out here want water wetter.. something about it being easier to clean up or because track days get pretty hot out here. We have allot of tracks in California, but most of them are inland in the hotter regions. If there was a track nearby in the city I would be there every weekend and eventually broke.

Maybe Porsche would allow for moto clubs to come in from time to time. 30-40 min drive IN traffic.. fingers crossed!

Porsche to Build West Coast Experience Center

·
Registered
400 Posts
Very cool!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Super awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts