Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally had the chance to ride the world famous Smoky Mountain roads. I meet up with a friend from the FZ6R forum in Alpharetta, GA. Got started around 10ish and rode back rode all the way to the West side of Cherohala Skyway. Cruise that until we hit 129 then head North to the Deal Gap resort. We hang out there for a bit then when for the Tail of the Dragon to see what that place was all about. Most of the 2 days I followed him since he wasn't comfortable at a faster pace and I didn't want him to get over his head following me. So i all worked good until I just lost it and pass him after few turn in the Dragon. I couldn't help it!

I kept thing within my limits and with a decent safety margin to me. In other words, I had fun without getting over my head and have to hang the whole bike on that tree! LOL

That was the best 11 miles I ever rode. Then we end up finishing the day in Merryville, TN. Had a bite at The Shed. The Shed is a H-D dealer in the middle of nowhere right next to a Kubota dealership. There was about 1K people there and the food was really good actually. They are set up with a outside bar/covered stage and the band was jamming some good old Southern Rock! And ya, it all finish with free bird! LOL Band was awesome by the way.

Next morning we slept in a bit (I was ready by 7:00am but had to wait...) We took off towards the Old State Hwy 73 Scenic. The first part was very beautiful but there was a tone of Sunday camper traffic and end up not really enjoying it really, but the view was breath taking. Then 71-441 going South and rip through 28, 16, I-985 and 85 back to base camp.

The only thing that sucks about the whole weekend was... it was only 2 days. Planing to go back in a near future for a longer stay.

Now the ride:

SEAT: Seat was ok. Kind of PITA after few hours on the saddle cruising slow and not moving around. But once the pace picked up the seat was perfect. I'll look into it maybe I just need to massage the foam a bit.

SUSPENSION:

Nick's front end worked great. Never felt like the front end had issues. I'm no Rossi but I was able to brake deep in the corners and trail brake the bike. On release the front end was coming back up very smoothly. I end up to go up in spring from the .85 to .90 kg/mm. I like it better. No preload give me 37mm sag and 1T give me 35mm rider sag. I also did the revalving with 5W oil. Just a suggestion here... if you're planning on fixing the front end and doing the springs... just do the whole thing once and be done with it. Few more $$$ but totally worth it (and the front spring are installed)

Rear ZX-10 shock was ok. I went up in rear spring rate to 9.7 kg/mm from 9.1 with the stock ZX-10 shock. On Florida smooth rode it was all good but that wasn't the best setup for the bumpy road over there. At steady throttle the bike was good. Not excellent but the suspension was perfect over med bumps, even in the middle of corners at medium pace. But anything that include hard braking and get back on throttle (Dragon) the bike was perfect on entry but getting back on the gas was a bit touchy. The rear end never give me a freight or skip on me even on the very bumpy stuff, but I never felt like the rear was taking a set once back on throttle. So it never gave my the feedback that it was ok tto throttle up... I think going down on spring rate for this set up might be the way to go.

WIND PROTECTION:

Most of the speed we were doing wasn't an issue until we got back on the freeway Sunday late afternoon. The pace was fast and the air flow was smooth.

ENGINE:

Engine, well we all know by now. Cruising was 3rd and 4th gear all day long. Even way down the RPM the bike get back to speed very easy. Once I started riding the throttle was a bit twitchy so on my next stop I went up in G from 5.5 to 6.0, that was all it needed! Throttle was super smooth anywhere in the power band. he pace wasn't very fast but still hammer 47 MPG. Even that last tank going... 70- a bit shy of triple digit sometime got me 140 miles (still riding on that tank) So I will know later on this week what king of MPG I got on the last tank.

MARTHY:

As always, the rider is the weakest link! LOL It's been so long since I ride some nice road like this, even longer at spirit pace. I'm really looking forward to go back sooner than later. Might even try to put a little budget together to do track days here once in a while in novice group. I'm not planning to race, just want to have fun.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice report. I'm jealous as my bike is ready for a trip to the same location but free time is an issue. Get us some pics!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Riding in the Smokies is just amazing. Glad you enjoyed the ride.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What make are your tail and tank bags they fit really well?
Its actually my old tank bag. It was enough for 2-3 day trip. I just received my Nelson Rigs saddle bags today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sweet! Someday, if you get out to Az, check out hiway 191 from Bisbee north... 90 miles of curves...

quote: "the throttle was a bit twitchy so on my next stop I went up in G from 5.5 to 6.0"... pls help me understand what this means?

thx.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet! Someday, if you get out to Az, check out hiway 191 from Bisbee north... 90 miles of curves...

quote: "the throttle was a bit twitchy so on my next stop I went up in G from 5.5 to 6.0"... pls help me understand what this means?

thx.
LOL! That's my EJK fuel controller. There's a Green, Yellow and Red setting. (Decel/cruisie, acceleration and WOT) I had to do a quick fine tune for the colder weather.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for sharing, loved reading your experience. Only problem is you're torturing me! Just got back from the dragon 2 months ago and I already want to go back so bad! Glad you and your friend had a great time!

Reactions: marthy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts