Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed an APE cct last weekend and adjusted it per Marthy's installation thread. Once the jam nut was tightened I check the play in the cam chain and you could wiggle it about 1/4" total side to side. Went for a test ride, still had the rattle at 4k-5k rpm. After this I tightened it about 1/6 turn, test rode, still was rattling, repeat. Did this until I had tightened it about 1 full turn, and was still rattling. At this point I rechecked the play in the chain and there was basically none. Being scared I over tightened it I backed it out and now I am back to square one. The rattle is still there while under load.

Any thoughts on why there is still vibrations? I bought the bike with about 5k miles on it thinking this would be a quick easy fix; could there be some permanent damage causing this? Could I have needed to tighten the tensioner even further?? Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Dexter

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Was it making noise before you change the CCT? Skipped a tooth? Confusing gbox noose to cam chain noise?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was making noise before. Has gotten noticeably better with the ape cct. Ride feels fine, dunno how to tell if a tooth got skipped. and suppose I could be confusing noise. Under moderate throttle it seems to start around 3,800 and build louder and louder till 5 or so then die back down. Sounds like the other symptoms I've been reading in regards to the CCT.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine is pretty easy to adjust. I installed per the Marthy instructions and purposefully left a little on the loose side and buttoned it up. Then started the bike; rattle was there. Adjusted till rattle disappeared. I expect this is what I will do every oil change. Back it off while running until rattle appears, then tighten till it's gone. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cam Chain

Went to dealer to see about rattle he agreed it was cam chain. He found there is a bulletin by Yamaha on how to adjust the chain tensioner. Which he did, there also a new part if this does not cure the problem 1RC-12210-03-00

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Went to dealer to see about rattle he agreed it was cam chain. He found there is a bulletin by Yamaha on how to adjust the chain tensioner. Which he did, there also a new part if this does not cure the problem 1RC-12210-03-00

Except that the new part is failing on bikes too. Did he mention that?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you recall about how much you tightened it? Like I said I tightened mine about a full turn past where I thought it should be and still had the rattles. Feel like that was probably over tightened.

Mine is pretty easy to adjust. I installed per the Marthy instructions and purposefully left a little on the loose side and buttoned it up. Then started the bike; rattle was there. Adjusted till rattle disappeared. I expect this is what I will do every oil change. Back it off while running until rattle appears, then tighten till it's gone. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I use my ears to judge where it should be. Clearly you could do damage if you crank it without paying attention. But it should just be tight enough to remove the majority of the rattle. Don't keep tightening thinking you will get rid of all of the cam chain noise. It's a chain not a belt. But once set it will not back off which the Yamaha adjuster does.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. Think I'm going to end up leaving it where it is at and just living with the noise at this point. I'm sure over tightening would be doing more damage than where it is at currently.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, going to take some time to get used to this rattle. I notice myself shifting as soon as it starts!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do my best to try to capture something one of these evenings.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI in case anyone was trying to keep up with this. I took the bike to the local dealership and they said they could get a replacement under warranty. So I went ahead and had them order the part. If the new Yamaha CCT fixes the noise I'll be at a loss for why the manual tensioner wouldn't do the trick.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turns out it wasn't my CCT. Contrary to what I was "positive" of, as well as the dealership telling me. the other night i noticed my chain was pretty loose. Tightened it up and the vibs have disappeared. Very happy to finally have the bike feeling as though nothing is wrong. Sad thing is my OEM replacement just got delivered to the dealership today. Gotta tell them to send it back

·
Registered
51 Posts
Turns out it wasn't my CCT. Contrary to what I was "positive" of, as well as the dealership telling me. the other night i noticed my chain was pretty loose. Tightened it up and the vibs have disappeared. Very happy to finally have the bike feeling as though nothing is wrong. Sad thing is my OEM replacement just got delivered to the dealership today. Gotta tell them to send it back
True cam chain noise is best heard with the bike parked listening to the engine from the right side. Doing this pretty much eliminates the chance of the drive chain confusing the issue...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts