Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a lot of discussion around the FZ-09 as a first bike. But I'd like a few honest opinions, I have been riding the last 10 years both motocross, enduro racing and trail riding just a brief riding background. But just recently have had to make the decision to switch over to street riding as the most available means to keep riding. I'd like to feel that I am generally mature enough to keep myself out of trouble in moving to the street. I'm looking for a bike that I wont to quickly outgrow, as I'm quite used to throwing a bike around in the dirt. I know these are two separate worlds in many respects, but any advice would be appreciated.

Just as a note the FZ- 09 is the only bike within my price range other than going straight into building something that I feel some sort of connection with. As a designer its hard to settle for something that you would instantly see wanting to change. I have also taken a ridden weekend safety course.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Slap a set of knobbies on 'er and you won't notice the difference.

You shouldn't mention being a n00b. They take a dim view of n00bs and FZ-09's around here. LOL

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm sure you won't outgrow this bike anytime soon. It has a lot to keep you amused. If you can handle a bike well in the dirt you should be alright with the FZ-09. It's other road users that you need to be very careful of.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Honestly, if someone has as much dirt experience as you do, the transition to street should be fairly easy. Depending on how "mature"you are and how much common sense you have/use, the FZ would probably be OK for you. One thing to remember though it's that things will happen a whole lot faster with a bike that has the speed and acceleration that the 09 has. I would definitely recommended riding in the "B" mode for some time while you are learning the bike.

Reactions: motomania

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, just had seen some of the previous discussion and knew it wasn't a beginners bike and was just looking to seek out some opinions on the situation.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The weather as everyone knows has been shit but I finally made it to 70 miles and yes whoever said start in B mode is right. A and std is so abrupt you risk whiplash.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Doubt you will outgrow it any time soon, I imagine the lighter weight of this bike will make the transition easier for a dirt biker than it would moving up to a big cruiser. Stock everything is ridable, but can see you wanting to put some money into suspension before you get all the way home. Also being a dirt biker I betcha you will look at the rad and oil filter and start looking for guards.

·
Registered
957 Posts
You're no noob, and coming from a dirt background like yours, especially if you're familiar with the on/off throttle response of 125 or 250cc two-strokes, a bike like the FZ-09 is the perfect bike to transition to street riding. It's heavier than the dirtbikes you're used to, but a lot less so than virtually any other street bike you could be eyeballing. It's fun to ride out the door but if you want to keep up with your sportbike buddies in corners you're going to want to invest in suspension upgrades later on down the line. The front fork and rear shock both need full work-overs if you want to enjoy spirited riding and hustling it through corners. It's still an amazingly fun bike for day to day riding even without that, though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I know there has been a lot of discussion around the FZ-09 as a first bike. But I'd like a few honest opinions, I have been riding the last 10 years both motocross, enduro racing and trail riding just a brief riding background. But just recently have had to make the decision to switch over to street riding as the most available means to keep riding. I'd like to feel that I am generally mature enough to keep myself out of trouble in moving to the street. I'm looking for a bike that I wont to quickly outgrow, as I'm quite used to throwing a bike around in the dirt. I know these are two separate worlds in many respects, but any advice would be appreciated.

Just as a note the FZ- 09 is the only bike within my price range other than going straight into building something that I feel some sort of connection with. As a designer its hard to settle for something that you would instantly see wanting to change. I have also taken a ridden weekend safety course.
Like you, I am a semi retired off road rider... my first bike was a RT 1... then a series of Husky's. Some 40 years later, it is becoming clear that riding off road cannot continue... so maybe riding street bikes is an alternative. Besides, most of the off road riding areas are "closed"... or will be soon. So, bought one of these FZ‘s... It feels like a dirt bike in many ways... a dirt bike on steroids! (4 lbs/HP...better than most enduros, even the 2 strokes!) You won't get bored, but be careful! The cages are lethal to bikes.

Nothing else even comes close in terms of weight, power, cost, comfort, handling or fun. Go for it. There will, no doubt, be a huge aftermarket for improvements or customizations...

·
Registered
276 Posts
You do have a jump on things with your background. Just realize the street is an all new ball game. So the bike choice may be irrelevant. Just like you know dirt, with its terrain variances, you will need to learn to read street the same. Then throw in cars to really mix it up.
One thing, mistakes on street are usually faster and more severe. I always hope I am fully prepared, head screwed on right, ya know.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
One more thing I did not see mentioned: riding on the street is a very different mindset than riding on the dirt.

You need to be a lot more aware of everything going on around you and playing the what if game with every potential threat you can identify.

When I was first getting on the street some of the most sage advice I was given was: Assume no other drivers on the road ever see you and the ones that do actually seem to see you are actually trying to run you over.

I think you will very much enjoy the FZ09. Take it slow and learn!

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Thanks to everyone that put in their two cents. I am now a proud owner of a new orange FZ-09, just hope the weather here starts to turn so it is nice enough to ride.
Congrats dude! They are a sweet platform. I came from an R1 and don't miss it at all...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks to everyone that put in their two cents. I am now a proud owner of a new orange FZ-09, just hope the weather here starts to turn so it is nice enough to ride.
Are you crazy? You know those things are not for beginners! You'll shoot yer eye out.

Enjoy! Ride safely, keep yer head on a swivel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Congrats Steve, I went with the Orange as well. I also came from dirt, however my first street bike was an SV. The bike was great but I quickly 'outgrew' the power. I think you made the right choice with the FZ-09 as it's a bike to grow into (for me as well) and is comfortable and natural for us dirt guys to ride. There is a difference between a completely new rider on a bike like this, and an experienced rider of other sorts. I know my years of dirt experience has been very useful, although many things are different. Enjoy your new ride, I know I am!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good choice Steve.

The Orange (just like in MX) are slower:cool: They are the best for beginners LOL

Like others said, assume every driver wants to kill you......

Enjoy/ride safe!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just the simple fact that you are taking what seems like a mature approach to getting this bike is enough for me. As I always say do your research. Youtube seems to be the best place for the reviews on this bike. I am not talking about the 5 min review of the douche that bashed the bike about the suspension in comparing it to a super sport bike. The guy that did the hour long review that goes by the handle Fluxx. I just cross 600 miles on mine and I do have to say that I LOVE this bike. I took it on a trip this weekend of about 150 miles there and about another 50 or 60 just driving once I got to my destination. In my opinion this is a extremely fun bike. The comfort factor was less then what my cruiser was. Though a little more thirsty then I anticipated but my heavy throttle hand took over on a few of the turns. I have a lot of love for this bike!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts