Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This you tube video shows why it makes sense to gear up. Most of these crashes are one of two things. Cars driving stupid, or bikers driving stupid. Some are just plain old bad luck. Amazing how many of them don't have proper gear. Equally amazing is how unscathed some of the geared up guys are after a pretty good spill. By the way I never quite figured out the guy at the end who appears to be carrying a double bladed axe with him?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I watched the whole video and "wearing proper gear" had little to do with the lessons it provided. What the video showed is that there are a lot of scooter and motorcycle riders that have no business riding a bike in the first place. I have a tough time feeling sorry for imbeciles that make really bad decisions while riding. As far a gear goes....I saw the majority of those fools in flip flops and shorts walk away with very little injury. It's not about the gear that hopefully will keep you safe. It's about making good decisions that keeps you alive.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I watched the whole video and "wearing proper gear" had little to do with the lessons it provided. What the video showed is that there are a lot of scooter and motorcycle riders that have no business riding a bike in the first place. I have a tough time feeling sorry for imbeciles that make really bad decisions while riding. As far a gear goes....I saw the majority of those fools in flip flops and shorts walk away with very little injury. It's not about the gear that hopefully will keep you safe. It's about making good decisions that keeps you alive.
All that stuff was from Europe. Even the low speed stuff can be fatal when you bounce your skull off the asphalt. That's why I posted a video with a lot of somewhat odd crashes. Most were the rider's fault, some not so much. (cars running right through red lights)

There are plenty of more gruesome videos on Youtube. That one was just sort of a tame reminder that bikes don't always stay rubber side down. I wouldn't want to experience any of them without some substantial protection. (And yes, I've been hit twice by cars)

I agree, safety starts with the rider, but how many of those were caused by idiots in cars as well? If you travel to Asia or Europe, motorcycles are way more prevalent than in the U.S. And they ride kind of nutty in a lot of places.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
CD....I agree with you to a large degree, making good decisions go a long way towards staying alive while riding.....but...there are still Times that no matter how well you ride, how alert you are, the unexpected can happen and you need to be dressed for the situation...ATGATT. I never dress for the ride, I dress for the crash.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I believe in wearing good gear all right. Especially when hauling ass in the twisties....which I still love to do. But i'm so "old school" that there was no "gear" back in the day, except for a helmet....IF you chose to use one. Now today...I would never ever ride a scooter or a bike out of my driveway without a helmet...minimum. But you sure as hell won't see me in a roadracing full leather suit with gloves and boots while riding my 50cc scooter around the neighborhood. Keep in mind the Harley riders ride 50 times more miles per year than we do...in shorts and a $25 lid...and never crash. They ride slow and don't take the chances that we do. So for me..it's about decisions a lot more that it is about gear.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Keep in mind the Harley riders ride 50 times more miles per year than we do...in shorts and a $25 lid...and never crash. They ride slow and don't take the chances that we do.
Looking for an "eyeroll" emoticon or some clearer evidence of sarcasm.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
If you lived where I live, and watched the Harley/cruiser guys either go over the mountain or INTO the mountain, on a regular basis, you probably wouldn't have a high opinion of some of their riding skills. There are probably at least 10 to 1 the number of Harley/cruiser crashes up there vs. sport bikes.

No amount of gear can protect you if you ride "stupid", or you are not a very skilled rider, but wearing good protective gear will go a long way towards minimizing some of those injuries.

·
Banned
161 Posts
I wrecked my SV out on The Dragon a couple of months ago, flew off the side of the damn road down a 150 ft. ravine.

If I hadn't been wearing my full leathers, I would've been in Blount county hospital having skin graphs done, and I probably would've broken my left knee I smacked the pavement so hard.

Only dumbasses ride fast in jeans and shoes....

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Banned
161 Posts
Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really disagree with you here. It most definitely is about decision making and risk taking, but to praise someone who wears shorts and a $25 lid because they ride slow is silly. Accidents happen due to others bad driving, and can sometimes be completely impossible to avoid. I'd even say that sometimes accidents are unavoidable even if both drivers are driving well and looking out for everyone.

Riding without gear is all about your risk tolerance. If you want to risk having skin grafts or hamburger face, then skip something for the day. If you want your head cracked like an egg, wear a $25 helmet.

See this video from Atlas Rider (who does a great youtube channel btw):

1 - 14 of 14 Posts