Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

If you were given a free motorcycle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was planning on buying the XSR900, Street twin, or the Ducati Scrambler. I can't seem to pull the trigger in buying a ducati scrambler since a lot of people keeps saying their reliability as a brand (ducati) is somewhat of a concern.

I was all set in getting the new scrambler till I saw someone say the 2nd service maintenance cost of Ducati scrambler was $1000+?!?! which is pretty darn expensive.
Has anybody ever paid that much in having their XSR900 serviced? How many miles does an XSR900 have before the service maintenance. I know that Yamaha as a brand is arguably the most reliable brand of motorcycle but has anyone ever experienced a major problem with the XSR900?

Sorry, I'm a bit new to bikes. And if anyone knows the service miles and cost for maintaining the street twin, feel free to comment and let me know.
Thanks guys, cheers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You are looking at 3 very nice bikes. From a first bike standpoint, I would discourage the XSR because it can be a handful of a bike for a new rider. I wrench on my own bikes so the maintenance isn't an issue, although I don't think I'd want to set the Ducati's valvetrain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. You are looking at 3 very nice bikes. From a first bike standpoint, I would discourage the XSR because it can be a handful of a bike for a new rider. I wrench on my own bikes so the maintenance isn't an issue, although I don't think I'd want to set the Ducati's valvetrain.
Yea, I was looking for a city bike and sitting on the XSR900 felt heavy and tall, I'm on my toes when sitting on it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
One costs that many overlook with modern motorcycles is the valve clearance adjustment. Some can tackle this chore on their own but for a majority of riders the dealer will be call upon to do it in trade for vast sums of money.
Lucky for us the interval on an FZ-09 is 26,600 miles. At current shop rates of 100+ it will not be cheap. A few years back my VFR800 called for valve adjustment every 16k miles. Dealer told me about 6 hours to adjust the valves plus shim costs.

The days of cap and screw adjustments for valve clearance is pretty much gone on high performance engines. Shim and bucket is the norm.

The valve adjustment is something that can not be ignored. Before you panic just imagine the tire costs you will pay by the time you hit 26,600 miles. Where is the screaming for tires......

Reactions: Morten

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Ducati valve inspection and adjustment intervals have been raised quite a bit from what they used to be. The scrambler interval is now 18k miles. The older monsters were somewhere around 6k. First service for the XSR is just a oil change, check chain, cables, check torque on major bolts and other nonsense which anyone can do. The valve clearance is always the big one. At least the Ducati is a twin, half the work of an in line 4 but the hard part is getting to the valve covers on most of these newer bikes. I wouldn't be concerned about the reliability of any of these bikes and they are all priced very reasonable. Just buy what you like and don't worry about the rest.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I wouldn't take the word of others for how much service will cost. Best thing is to go to a dealer and ask them how much for the first, second, third, etc. service costs. If they are a good dealer, they will tell you the truth. If they are not a good dealer, they will dance around the subject and not really give you and answer. Then go to another dealer (if there is one) and ask them the same thing, since the service intervals should have a set cost from Ducati, only the shop rate might vary a little.

Here are a couple of links to Scrambler Owner's and Service Manuals, which are easy enough to find online.

http://scramblerducati.com/immagini/manual/Scrambler800_USA_MY15_ED00.pdf

http://scramblerducati.com/immagini/manual/sixty2//Scrambler400_GBR_MY16_ED00.pdf

http://forumfoundrycdn.com/nickj/moto/ducati/MY2015/DUCATI 2015 ducati scrambler 800-new.pdf

According to the Owner's Manual listed above, the Check and/or adjust valve clearance interval is every 6000 miles (10,000 km). Also the timing belt replacement interval is every 12,000 miles (20,000 km). One thing to note, every 10,000 km is actually 6,213 miles, a 213 mile difference doesn't seem like much but it adds up over time.

scrambler.jpg

Unless they have changed these service intervals and these Owner's Manuals are wrong? it's still says to check the valve clearance every 6,000 miles. One thing I have read is that not all Ducati's need to be adjusted ever time at the 6k mark, so it probably depends on how often you hit the rev limiter, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts