Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Maint job and Info Thread is locked, to keep it organized, a member has suggested that we have a "Discussion Thread that is related to the Maint. and Info Thread.....a place where discussion can take place. For instance, you have a favorite brand of a certain tool that the FZ requires....or you may know where to get certain tools part at a really great price. Anyway, this is the discussion area.

I'll start it off.......Since all of us have to buy oil for our bike/cars/whatever, if you like to use Mobil 1 full synthetic, as much as I sometime despise Walmart, that is the cheap place to get it. In our area, a 5qt. jug of Mobil 1 15W-50 sell for $24.98......that comes out to $5/qt.....vs.....$8/qt in the Auto Zone/Advance/Napa stores.

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
611 Posts
Think we could convince you to make an oil change video? The less you are shown in it the better! lol j/k

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, first thing is,I don't do video stuff....no camera and even less skills. Secondly, I was once told by a ninety year old woman, while walking her seeing eye dog, that I was quite handsome, but I heard that she had been drinking at the time!

Seriously though, there is nothing to changing the oil and filter on this bike, it's about as simple as it gets. All the info is in the maint. thread as far as part numbers, wrench size, torque numbers, etc.

Reactions: taggat and Niner

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vern, this thread http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/411-fz09-levers-replaced.html#post5095 has parts numbers and compatibility for the hand levers, could you add this info and other compatibility info (oil filters etc) to the "Misc. Info for FZ 09 Maintenance jobs....." thread as it becomes known? Thanks.
Bob........I added the compatibility list for the Brake and Clutch levers that was posted in the other thread. Sorry it took so long, but I didn't see your request until now. Please PM me for requests to be added instead of just posting up in this thread, as I don't look at it very often.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Someone say tires????

Speaking of which (glad you asked! :) ), mine came with Dunlop Qualifiers which:

1. I race on Dunlops so I love them but....

2. These are likely OEM specific "Qualifiers" - not Q2's or Q3's so does anyone have any specific info on them, impressions, PSI suggestions, etc...?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine came with the Bridgestone S20's and I was really anxious to try the new Q3's out, so I bought some a month before I got the bike and as soon as I got the bike home, I switched out the S20s for a set of the Q3's and I love them. I did a track day at Road Atlanta with the Q3's and they stick very well. Stated the first session out in the low 50's temperature wise running 26R and 28F, cold pressures. I don't know how much different they are than the tires that came on your bike though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Someone say tires????

Speaking of which (glad you asked! :) ), mine came with Dunlop Qualifiers which:

1. I race on Dunlops so I love them but....

2. These are likely OEM specific "Qualifiers" - not Q2's or Q3's so does anyone have any specific info on them, impressions, PSI suggestions, etc...?
They are oem specific Dunlops. I didn't like them at all, the rear spun on me a few times exiting corners. I tossed it at 1200 miles because I didn't trust it. The front wasn't as bad. I left it on until it wore enough to affect the handling.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine came with the Bridgestone S20's and I was really anxious to try the new Q3's out, so I bought some a month before I got the bike and as soon as I got the bike home, I switched out the S20s for a set of the Q3's and I love them. I did a track day at Road Atlanta with the Q3's and they stick very well. Stated the first session out in the low 50's temperature wise running 26R and 28F, cold pressures. I don't know how much different they are than the tires that came on your bike though.
I tried a new set of Q3's last summer on my race bike and loved them as well for track days - no issues, very good wear rates (they don't ball up like every other race tire I've used...). I still have them so I'll likely take off the new Qualifiers ans spoon on these Q3's then if they aren't up to spec with at least the Q2 - and we all know that OEM specific tires generally aren't the best grip, they're more concerned about wear rates it seems.

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
So... 10w40 - should be fine, right? :p
I believe the Owners Manual calls from 10w50(?)

Maybe something to add to the closed thread for noobers (and forgetful folk like me).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I put repsol sport 10W-40 Blend, and it works great. About to change it out for the 600 mile changeout and i am definitely putting more in. Its kinda spendy and i have to get it at cycle gear.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The pin size for a front end stand that lifts from the bottom of the triple is 20mm

My 21mm SV650 pin was just too big lol.
Bob, that info has been added to the guides thread

·
Registered
666 Posts
In case anyone wants to know, the oil filter cup wrench is a 65mm 14 flute.

Got one from the local stealership for $10.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
When I got the bike I bought 2 Yamaha filters, changed one at 26 miles, will switch to the K&N filter that has a "nut" on the end for a normal wrench.

I got the original filter off with big a$$ Channel Locks, put the new one on by hand, felt like it seated down well, could feel the spot where the torque rapidly goes up. My grip doesn't match your avatar. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts