Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has one of these on thier 2021+ MT 09 SP, how do you like it?

I have one on my BMW r1200r. Mostly I like the easy detachability, since I usually like to ride without a windscreen. It also looks about as good as any of the other windscreens, IMHO. In cold or rain, a windscreen just becomes a necessary evil.

Any ideas on something better? Again, my primary goal is easy detachability.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
Now THAT is a proper windscreen.
I'd like to hear from actual owners of it, but my guess is it will be great. The bigger and uglier they are, the better they work. :LOL:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have a point about "bigger is better" for windscreens. Many people find, however, a "sweet spot" in size that both protects the body and prevents helmet wind buffetting, like the one I put on my Beemer. That's why I like that the Madstadt screens come in sizes ranging from 18 - 24 inches.

I'm also curious how Madstadt's new 7/8" aluminum support bar for mounting phones and gps works and looks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Your picture's better than the one on the Madstadt site. Looks like the accessory bar stays on permanently as part of the mounting brackets and doesn't come off with the windshield, right?

So, do you like it? Appears to be the 22" or 24".

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
114 Posts
Thank you. Your picture's better than the one on the Madstadt site. Looks like the accessory bar stays on permanently as part of the mounting brackets and doesn't come off with the windshield, right?

So, do you like it? Appears to be the 22" or 24".
Sorry, but that IS one of the pictures from their site, and the link that you provided above, so I'm sorry to say that I won't be of any help here.

Having said that, I came across this 2021 article where a couple of Tracer owners positively comment on the Madstad windshield, and it's effectiveness on their bikes:

I need a new windscreen on my 2021 Tracer 9 GT

Here's another of their pictures - maybe you can see their bracket better here?

Land vehicle Vehicle Window Mirror Automotive tire

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, you FRAUD!

Naw, thanks for calling me out on my own ineptitude. It all looks good and I've plenty of time before fall to ponder the cold weather windscreen possibilites. Appreciate the input, mi amigo, and thanks for your time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Madstad small screen on my XSR 900 permanently ( hides the back of the dash. I use the big screen in winter and for freeway rides and it is a gem. Could ride with it all the time but I do like the wind when I'm out for some fun.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Bicycle part
Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Wheel Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
114 Posts
I would have to agree with just about everyone's opinion and reasoning, except for the thing about ChesterBurnet's helmet remaining on, as I don't know him personally so I can't comment...

I WOULD recommend if you do or are planning to do some rides with high freeway miles, then do purchase a tall windshield like this. As supporters have commented, it will minimize the wind buffeting upon your body and most of the helmet. On my former MT-09 trade-in '08 Suzuki GSF 1250 with factory 1/2 fairing, I installed the tallest V-Stream (I think it was called) windshield to which I even added a clip-on extender screen, and my rides were more comfortable and noise levels and buffeting reduced. Yes, it looked fine on this sport tourer, but with the MT-09, while it no doubt would look a bit funky/bulky on a naked, enjoy a comfortable ride on the freeway/highway, and for rides that are mostly mountainous or country roads, leave it at home and just ride with the short "screen" that it comes with.

As far as the price, sure by itself $309.95 may look slightly steep, but I paid well over $600 for my new Corbin seat, and I never regretted this because my subsequent rides have all been so much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Heck JohnnyTrek, with that tall windshield you could probably even ride helmetless and the reduced wind might not even mess up that full head of hair of yours! So GO FOR IT!(y)

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,857 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed! With the MT 09 futuristic headlight housing, Puig has a great Vorlon vibe from Babylon 5.

Eye Automotive design Grey Automotive tire Painting

However, remember that ease of removal is my #1 priority because IMHO no windscreen is the best looking of all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe the folks that enjoy a huge shield should consider riding a cruiser. Just saying, idk.
its there for when its needed, but its not a permanent fixture for me - thats why I bought the Madstad- its versatility
dead easy to put on and take off as required

·
Registered
3 Posts
Madstad caused a speed wobble on my 2016 FZ-09, put back on my V-stream and no wobble, got my $ back from Madstad, except for shipping, and a few years back my wife put a Madstad on her 2013 KTM 690 Duke and it caused a speed wobble, so keep your speed down, I think it's too heavy for such light bikes. Took my wife's Madstad and put it on my 2008 KTM 990 Super Dike, no problems at even 140. I've been riding for over 50 years/500K miles, never had a speed wobble until I installed a Madstad on a light bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Madstad caused a speed wobble on my 2016 FZ-09, put back on my V-stream and no wobble, got my $ back from Madstad, except for shipping, and a few years back my wife put a Madstad on her 2013 KTM 690 Duke and it caused a speed wobble, so keep your speed down, I think it's too heavy for such light bikes. Took my wife's Madstad and put it on my 2008 KTM 990 Super Dike, no problems at even 140. I've been riding for over 50 years/500K miles, never had a speed wobble until I installed a Madstad on a light bike.
I truly appreciate your excellent advice. Even if I do now get a Madstadt, I'll lean towards the smallest size. Or, maybe just ride the bigger BMW when it gets too cold. Again, thanks for the potentially lifesaving tip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts