Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I sent Madstad Engineering an email asking if they might be making a windshield for the FZ-09. Mark Stadnyk send me a reply today that they had seen an FZ-09 at the Orlando Expo. He noticed how easily it would be to mount one of the shields to the front. I told him about the MT-09 fly screen and that most members think it is too little and too much money for what you get. He looked it up and agreed in a later email.

He said they were going to "check up" on looking at the FZ-09 again and to give him "a few weeks" and follow up with him again. I plan to do that.

I have no experience with their products (maybe some members here do) only what I have read on the CTX forum where they created a setup for their adjustable windshield for the naked CTX700N and a shield for the fairing model CTX700 where the Honda shields were simply not doing the job for a lot of riders.

I will post any follow ups I get from them. If you want to send your own inquiry it is at [email protected] Many images are also available if you search
the internet.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have used Madstad adjustable shield brackets and shields on a few bikes. With the 650 V-Strom the shields I tried all made the wind buffeting worse than it already was. This has nothing to do with Madstad products. It had everything to do with the design of the 650 v-strom. All shields were at an excessive distance from the rider position....and with the combination of the mirrors and a shield....the wind buffeting was beyond any tolerance level a human being could withstand. Seriously. The lesson learned here is that adding a shield in conjunction with handlebar mounted mirrors...causes HUGE wind buffeting and seriously loud wind noises. On a SV-650 I removed the mirrors just to see what happened...and guess what? 90% of all the wind noise was GONE. So I learned that ANY shield funnels the wind directly on the mirrors which causes the wind turbulence and the wind noise that comes with it.
On an FZ-09....the rider position is far frontwards which makes wind turbulence from a shield a lot less than other bikes....but believe me....adding a shield on a FZ-09 is going to cause more wind turbulence and noise than you can imagine it will. Especially with the mirrors.
Most people do not know this but NAKED BIKES are also put in a wind tunnel ....and parts are designed on the front end so that the wind does not whip and swirl and cumulate on the under sides of a riders helmet and cause wind noise. That's why you can sit straight up at 110 MPH and not be blown off the bike,....or suffer {too much} from turbulence and noise. Adding a small shield cancels all the aerodynamics they designed into the bike when they made it.

Bottom line is....knowing what I know and experienced..i STILL intend to buy a small shield for my FZ-09 but I know the wind noise will be a lot louder unless I relocate the mirrors. Just thought I'd share so you know what you're getting into.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have used Madstad adjustable shield brackets and shields on a few bikes. With the 650 V-Strom the shields I tried all made the wind buffeting worse than it already was. This has nothing to do with Madstad products. It had everything to do with the design of the 650 v-strom. All shields were at an excessive distance from the rider position....and with the combination of the mirrors and a shield....the wind buffeting was beyond any tolerance level a human being could withstand. Seriously. The lesson learned here is that adding a shield in conjunction with handlebar mounted mirrors...causes HUGE wind buffeting and seriously loud wind noises. On a SV-650 I removed the mirrors just to see what happened...and guess what? 90% of all the wind noise was GONE. So I learned that ANY shield funnels the wind directly on the mirrors which causes the wind turbulence and the wind noise that comes with it.
On an FZ-09....the rider position is far frontwards which makes wind turbulence from a shield a lot less than other bikes....but believe me....adding a shield on a FZ-09 is going to cause more wind turbulence and noise than you can imagine it will. Especially with the mirrors.
Most people do not know this but NAKED BIKES are also put in a wind tunnel ....and parts are designed on the front end so that the wind does not whip and swirl and cumulate on the under sides of a riders helmet and cause wind noise. That's why you can sit straight up at 110 MPH and not be blown off the bike,....or suffer {too much} from turbulence and noise. Adding a small shield cancels all the aerodynamics they designed into the bike when they made it.

Bottom line is....knowing what I know and experienced..i STILL intend to buy a small shield for my FZ-09 but I know the wind noise will be a lot louder unless I relocate the mirrors. Just thought I'd share so you know what you're getting into.
I have to agree with you. On bigger bikes, vstrom, tenere, a good shield, and an adjustable bracket makes all the differenced, but in the end, it's too far away. I ended up running a madstad and a mra x-screen which makes my tenere comfy. For the time being, i'll keep the fz stock, to give clean flow below the helmet, any air near the helmet will cause turbulence

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts