Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello FZ09 fans!
I just pulled the trigger on a Liquid Graphite today. I signed up on the forum a couple months back when I started getting interested in the FZ. I live in Soldotna Alaska and I purchased the bike from Anchorage Yamaha via email! Ain't the Web great? I've been riding an FJR1300 for 10 years with my wife on the back about half the time. Wonderful bike for what is was designed for. I have recently reached the mature age of 62 and my knees don't care for maneuvering the FJR around my shop or parking lots with the wife on the back (even a petite 105 lbs). The FJR has monster power and handles well, but I want something I can toss around at speed and not need a crane to get on the center stand.
I basically had to decide between the FZ and the new Ducati 1200S. I almost went for the Duc which is an absolutely gorgeous bike (IMHO), but the difference in price and the cost of maintaining the Duc made up my mind. Kinda of like marrying a super model.
I am a gas turbine and rotating equipment mechanic and I love modifying and up grading metal things. I can't wait to get started on the FZ. I'm getting jazzed seeing how many products are appearing for this bike! I"ve really enjoyed reading the posts and hopefully I'll be contributing soon.
It is not quite riding weather here yet, but will be soon, I've already seen a few of the die hard Harley bagger guys on the road. My wife and I are off to Hawaii tomorrow, so I will pick my FZ up when I get back.
Looking forward to getting to know the FZ Forum folks.

JB

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Congrats on snagging an 09. :) Cost of ownership is always an important factor... plus parts availability.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello FZ09 fans!
I just pulled the trigger on a Liquid Graphite today. I signed up on the forum a couple months back when I started getting interested in the FZ. I live in Soldotna Alaska and I purchased the bike from Anchorage Yamaha via email!

JB
I wonder if it's the one Cort has had in the showroom this winter? I tried out the seat for you. lol They were supposed to get a handful this spring, but I don't know if they have showed up yet. Are you going to ride it back to Soldotna, or haul it down. Waiting for Turnagain Pass could be a little longer.

One of my favorite rides in the state used to be from the top of Turnagain to the Hope cut off. Awesome twisties, and then the state DOT had to go and straighten the darn road.

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Welcome to the addiction!
If you're going to do 2 up rides make sure to do something about your stock seat. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats on purchase! Have fun in Hawaii!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hello FZ09 fans!
I just pulled the trigger on a Liquid Graphite today. I signed up on the forum a couple months back when I started getting interested in the FZ. I live in Soldotna Alaska and I purchased the bike from Anchorage Yamaha via email! Ain't the Web great? I've been riding an FJR1300 for 10 years with my wife on the back about half the time. Wonderful bike for what is was designed for. I have recently reached the mature age of 62 and my knees don't care for maneuvering the FJR around my shop or parking lots with the wife on the back (even a petite 105 lbs). The FJR has monster power and handles well, but I want something I can toss around at speed and not need a crane to get on the center stand.
I basically had to decide between the FZ and the new Ducati 1200S. I almost went for the Duc which is an absolutely gorgeous bike (IMHO), but the difference in price and the cost of maintaining the Duc made up my mind. Kinda of like marrying a super model.
I am a gas turbine and rotating equipment mechanic and I love modifying and up grading metal things. I can't wait to get started on the FZ. I'm getting jazzed seeing how many products are appearing for this bike! I"ve really enjoyed reading the posts and hopefully I'll be contributing soon.
It is not quite riding weather here yet, but will be soon, I've already seen a few of the die hard Harley bagger guys on the road. My wife and I are off to Hawaii tomorrow, so I will pick my FZ up when I get back.

JB
Since there is no center stand on the FZ 09, you will not have to think about using it.

These are great bikes, and as you know, respond to modding, very well.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm sure you have some nice roads to enjoy up there in Alaska, welcome to the forum, ride safe.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome to the site of a lot of good people.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm sure you have some nice roads to enjoy up there in Alaska, welcome to the forum, ride safe.
Trust me Beck. They are few and far between. The scenery is unbeatable. The quality of the road surface...not so much. It is an awesome place to ride as long as you're willing to dodge a few pot holes, and put up with endless road construction.

Body of water Coast Headland Promontory Sea

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Trust me Beck. They are few and far between. The scenery is unbeatable. The quality of the road surface...not so much. It is an awesome place to ride as long as you're willing to dodge a few pot holes, and put up with endless road construction.

View attachment 3853
there's no major highways connecting towns up there right? You basically have to take a plane from what i remember but the last time i was up there i was kid..

·
Registered
663 Posts
there's no major highways connecting towns up there right? You basically have to take a plane from what i remember but the last time i was up there i was kid..
We have two main highways. (I use the term loosely) You can drive from Fairbanks all way to Homer on pavement that's mostly good. The other main highway goes from Fairbanks down to Valdez. Much more sketchy. Another awesome scenic ride on the Glenn Hwy that connects them, but it's really sketchy at times.

Mountainous landforms Highland Natural landscape Mountain Wilderness
Taken from the Glenn Hwy. The only way "out" of Alaska. Two lane road with tons of frost heaves. It's like riding on a roller coaster track.

Map
Here is our "highway system."
Most the state...zip.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is a repost of a video, but it shows a little Alaska road riding. .45-1:00 is on the above mentioned Glenn Hwy. The end shows our biggest Hwy. It's actually six lanes for 12 miles from Anchorage to Eagle River.

When I see videos of places like Deals Gap, I am jealous. There are some cool spots to ride in the lower 48 for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts