Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to show what can be made with 8 dollars of material a welder a grinder and 3 hours.... oh also an industrial sheet metal folder but you could maybe use a vice and a hammer.

i was originally going to make one using just the mesh and slide it into the groves on the side of the radiator and fold the top and bottom over. I have seen this done on another forum somewhere it ends up looking quite clean.

but i decided to fold up a frame and the mesh just sits inside once it's welded together. then i squished the frame down on the mesh to stop it moving and rattling

dicked around with the mounting tabs for awhile. here they are still in progress

tided up

the welds ended up giving it a nice curve that keeps it away from the core but nice and close to the sides to make it look nice

painted it
sorry not really a how to or anything, but I just wanted to share what I made and hopefully it sparks some people to make their own stuff instead of the over inflated big brands! thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Great job! Yamaha rad guard unbelievably almost $200 - I bought the R&G one in black (comes in silver as well) for $119 which is still rich. Fitted it today and will maybe post a pic. Awesome progressive pic is, too, Emtee! Cheers

·
Registered
475 Posts
PS: amazing how much stuff gets thrown up at the radiator (only 4,000 km on my bike and radiator has a few marks already!) - hence why I thought I'd put one on...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Very nice brother, that guard looks great! When do you start taking orders?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Great job, fits nice. Just remember some of us office trolls don't have easy access to shop equipment to make a great rad guard like that :( lol

Best prices I have seen for rad guards is at Motostarz.

US website: Aftermarket Performance Parts and Accessories for Yamaha FZ-09 / MT-09 2013, 2014, 2015 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

Canadian website: Aftermarket Performance Parts and Accessories for Yamaha FZ-09 / MT-09 2013, 2014, 2015 | Motostarz Canada | Motostarz.ca

I ended up getting the Evotech rad guard since if covers the end tanks a bit. Just wish it had FZ-09 on it instead of EP, but still looks good, lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Excellent work! Better fit and finish than the overpriced aftermarket stuff and the satisfaction of a job well done.

I make all the brackets, widgets and gizmos for my motorcycles and find it almost as much fun as riding them:)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Man if I had a welder :mad:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the positive words guys, I haven't replied as I'm still learning the notifications to this forum/ my subscriptions :S

yeah 2000km on mine and a couple marks but mainly looked so dirty!

you office folk probably get paid better than me and can afford the fancy ones lol :p

unfortunately if I started making them to sell by the time it's all said and done I reckon it would be better off getting a brand name one. postage. warranty. I'm lazy. etc lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts