Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
download_20140213_1043442.jpg

I finished negotiating with my local dealers last night and got my deposit in; I'm planning to bring the bike home in about a month. Does anyone have a good checklist of the first things I should do with my new bike when I get home? Ride height adjustment, some things to check and note, anything that will make the experience better. This will be my first new bike and I'm coming to modern bikes from a '78 XS750 so this is all new territory for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bring a tire pressure guage, check the tires, coolant and oil. If for no other reason, to know where is it from the start. As far as mods go it is all personal. I'm am not huge in cosmetic mods, unless something really bothers me....I.E. fender eliminator lol. I am much more interested in the thing working as I feel is should. That is different for everyone, height, weight, riding ability, and skill are all important factors. I knew before I finished my test ride it was too soft for me, but still put 300 or so miles before I bought anything for it. You need to get a good feel for what you do and do not like first. I expect this thing will feel pretty damn good compared to the 'ol 750! enjoy it for a bit before busting out the wallet, you might be surprised!
As far as adjustments go, there is only rebound adjustment, and pre-load front and rear. No height, or compression, so it is pretty straight forward as far as optimal setup in stock configuration.

Oh and CONGRATS on a great new ride!

Reactions: MotorcycleGoodies

·
Registered
657 Posts
For me first thing is rear spools so I can get a stand in there. These are 6mm Woodcraft spool/sliders.

27-3800.444.jpg

Second thing, is to get rid of that nasty stock rear fender. This is the Graves one that I ordered.

fz-09-fender.jpg

After that will be setting suspension sag and tire pressure, then checking chain slack.

From there - who knows. Probably be too busy riding it to get much else done!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had everything ordered that I wanted before I had 20 miles on mine! The first thing is add frame sliders in case the unthinkable happens. After protecting yourself you protect the bike. The next thing you will want to do if you do any night riding is retrofit an HID and projector into the headlight. The crappy OEM light can be compared to a flashlight with nearly dead batteries. The FZ09 is one of the easiest bikes to do one on. Next I did grips because the stock ones suck!! Way too hard of a compound for my liking. After that I did the Tail Tidy and ASV levers. After all that I set up the suspension, but have better parts on the way from Ohlins. Next is brakes, exhaust, and fuel management.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Second both of those ideas for sure, bike cover never hurts. Something like this I double checked Yamaha's site for the FZ09 catalog just to make sure it was the right fitment. The OE # is 14B-F81A0-J0-00. Of course there are plenty of options out there. Also if you aren't riding it home think about a set of Canyon Dancers, they make tying a bike down worlds easier.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For me first thing is rear spools so I can get a stand in there. These are 6mm Woodcraft spool/sliders.

View attachment 2578

Second thing, is to get rid of that nasty stock rear fender. This is the Graves on that I ordered.

View attachment 2579

After that will be setting suspension sag and tire pressure, then checking chain slack.

From there - who knows. Probably be too busy riding it to get much else done!!
Buck, that tail tidy looks very clean but where does the plate attach? I may just not be seeing something that is actually there...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Does the Graves tail tidy have a license plate light? It doesn't look like it from the pictures I've seen. Be careful because cops love to pull bikes over for that!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I saw your phone mount and thought how much more common that must be than just a few years ago. Did you find it really helpfully to have straight away? I guess as you use it becomes more transparent. Coming from a 78 (funny my first motorcycle was a '78 XS400) I could see the felling of 'new overload' not that it is a bad thing.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Buck, that tail tidy looks very clean but where does the plate attach? I may just not be seeing something that is actually there...
The plate mounts to a plate that is in between the two turn signals. Hard to see in the picture.

Does the Graves tail tidy have a license plate light? It doesn't look like it from the pictures I've seen. Be careful because cops love to pull bikes over for that!
Unfortunately the Graves does not incorporate a license plate light. I rode for a couple years with no plate light and never was bothered by the LEO about it.... however I rarely ride at night. HOWEVER, I didn't want to have any issues so I will use a similar setup on my R6, and use plate LED bolts. Cheap and can be sourced all over the place.

Bolt-LED-License-Plate-Light-01.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would check all the above items and then ride the wheels off it, I read to much and had my suspensoin way to stiff for the roads I ride and after a few thousand miles its got alot better. To me everything needs time to break in , the big mod for me was the rear fender , levers , hand guards, and seat, suspension will be down the road at around 5000 miles that way I will know just what I need to fix. RR

·
Registered
418 Posts
That's what I didn't use the Graves but went with the R&G Tail Tidy because it has the plate light. Easy to install and bright so the cops won't bother you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts