Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I saw someone post about these awhile back, but cant find the thread. I was looking for some adjustable levers but wasn't about to lay down the kind of money rizoma and asv demand. after seeing some good reviews i took a gamble on these Levers Set SHORTY - STANDARD LENGTH Adjustable Foldable YAMAHA FZ09 FZ-09 (2014), 6 Color Options - Mad Hornets

About 10 days later, I received my shorty adjustable and foldable levers. Quality seems decent for being a china product. Some of the moving parts had play(no worse than stock) but easily fixed by tightening up on the hardware a bit. Took about 10 minutes to put on, including the time it took to press out the pivot bushing on the clutch lever and put the oem bushing in (bushing i.d. too big) after getting a little creative with the bench vise and a small deep socket.

Now all I need is some warmer weather and less snow/ice to test these guys out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One word of warning/advice regarding aftermarket brake levers, make sure that the depression on the brake lever that the actuator pin coming from the master cylinder (not sure what the proper name for that part is) has been machined deep enough. There should be a small amount of gap/play (~1mm) between the lever and the pin when cold. If it is allowed to ride up against it when the brakes start to heat up there is no room for expansion and it will cause the pads to start slowly squeezing the rotors which causes them to heat up more which causes them to squeeze more... you get the picture. Eventually your brakes will lock up and then you have a real problem. Not sure that it's a common problem but it did happen to me on my last bike, no crash just left me blocking a busy intersection when I couldn't move my bike out of the way until I opened the master cylinder to relieve the pressure. It's an easy fix just drill out a little more material on the levers and your good to go.

·
Registered
154 Posts
They do look sweet though, much better than the giant OEM levers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the depressions looked the same but the factory lever has zero clearance and is actually a little pre-loaded by the pin in the master. if the factory lever is like that im not worried about it. hasnt locked up yet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It might be less of an issue than it was on my Kawi, Yami might have built in tolerance for that. Glad it's not giving you any issues and hopefully my comment is completely irrelevant to our bikes and anyone on the forum, just wanted to throw it out there because that was a pretty nerve racking experience for me that had the potential to turn out way worse for me than it did.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine arrived today, will install Friday.

Looked and planned to buy the orange, but picked red when ordering.

Took one week to arrive after online order.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Noob questions. Are the shorty levers easier to control? And why do they fold up? Looks like a dangerous thing to me. Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
using a shorty lever is really just preference, have em on my dirt bike and just use to clutching and braking with 2 fingers. and they look good :cool: they fold upward incase you drop it they wont snap

(edit) ^^ this guy haha

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Personal preference, some like to use just one or two fingers. Fold up
Levers allow you to ride home if you drop the bike.
It's a dirt bike thing!
That makes sense...I got lucky last time. They could break if the bike just falls over too you don't have to crash.

So it also makes braking hard less like trying not to fly forward.

Makes sense...I want shorts for the looks and I want to use less fingers but I also don't like squishing my other fingers. I like the shorter ones on the mountain bike :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
yea i dont like releasing all my fingers to clutch or brake when jamming 10/10 through a trail, much less triple digit speeds on pavement
Oh lol, I was responding to the comment about folding levers being for the dirt.

On the street I brake with 2 fingers so I can work the throttle for smooth down shifting. Um, the clutch I tend to not think about, 4 fingers I guess. Often zero fingers for up shifts. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've got the Red Spiegler lines, as well as the M.H. Red levers.....looks pretty good in my opinion....although the second pic just barely shows a bit of the brake lever.

Reactions: giebsfz

·
Registered
272 Posts
First Mod I did on the FZ ,I've been using two fingers on the brake and three on the clutch for so many years I have a hard time with long levers. But its all about personal choice, I have friends that don't like short levers at all. For the price these are hard to beat. RR:cool:

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
^ how do you them so far, they seem top notch from the web pics I've seen.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts