Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_3063.jpg

Yesterday I installed my new Mad Hornet levers.

These things are great. The workmanship and quality is really nice.

A great value at $36 and free shipping.

How cool is that :cool:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Awesome! The red seems to be a close match to the body.

Hope to see mine in the mail soon so I can get it installed.

Any tips on installation?

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Same ones I put on about 4 months ago. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The oem bushing will not fit on the mad hornets lever. With a little work you can make the mad hornets bushing a near perfect fix.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You need to press out the supplied clutch bushing, install the OEM bushing. You can press out the supplied bushing with a vice and the OEM bushing.
I had an epiphany. In stead of damaging one of the bushings, I used two sockets and the vise. One socket the same dimension as the bushing, and another larger one that the vise could push the bushing into on the other side when pressed

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had an epiphany. In stead of damaging one of the bushings, I used two sockets and the vise. One socket the same dimension as the bushing, and another larger one that the vise could push the bushing into on the other side when pressed
Yep pushing out the brass bushing with a pair of sockets works really slick.

I did notice that my front brake lever is a little loose in the holder. I am going to take a look at installing a shim to tighten up the slop. Other than this I am really stoked with the purchase.

Even if I am not... I at least look cool now!!!!!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Be careful with the front brake lever. It needs to easily return or it will bind up. I had to sand on my Mad Hornet brake lever because it was too tight.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Neither bushing was damaged, I used large deep well on the receiving side. When I press bearings, I do the socket trick, but I decided not to waste time looking for the perfect socket, when I knew the OEM bushing was just that.

Most guys are using the OEM bushing with the clutch lever, and many are just pressing the supplied bushing out, with the OEM. It works.

My brake lever fits nicely, maybe a little play, but the OEM had it too.

Also, Mad Hornets has a few different types of levers, so there may be variances with fit and bushing size across these lever types.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anyone have the blues of these? They dont look like they match very well to much on the bike.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have mine or order (4 weeks now) so will let you know when they arrive. Post office called on Friday so it might be as early as next week, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anyone have the blues of these? They dont look like they match very well to much on the bike.

yeah here's a vid, can post pic if u want. Its a turquoise blue, much lighter and brighter than the rims. However at night the levers do look much darker.

Pls note I fixed the problem, as noted in one of my other videos.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Adjust-BrakeClutch-Silver-1__57751.1328692868.1280.1280.jpg

I ordered these but now not sure with all this loose bushing talk. These are adjustable and cost me 69 plus shipping. Made hornet claims these levers fit the FZ09 then why doesn't their bushing fit. Guessing because it fits a wide range of bikes? Made in China I guess you get what you pay for. The levers shipped today.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The bushing is really a 30 second fix. My last, and I do mean last set, of ASVs went back three times because they wouldn't fit my Triumph. I went as far as ordering a new clutch perch to see if that would fix the issue, no. I ended up machining my OEM perch to make them fit. And the privilege only cost me $200.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
After a bushing swap on the clutch lever and a little filing I am totally happy with the Mad Hornets. I ordered mine long before they stated them as FZ-09 specific.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The bushing is really a 30 second fix. My last, and I do mean last set, of ASVs went back three times because they wouldn't fit my Triumph. I went as far as ordering a new clutch perch to see if that would fix the issue, no. I ended up machining my OEM perch to make them fit. And the privilege only cost me $200.
Same thing happened to me on my RSV4, ASV levers would not work propery - tried two different sets and eventually ended up with Pazzo which were perfect.

Outside of the bushing swap my Mad Hornets bolted up fine, no filing or other mods were needed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd still recommend the mad hornets, I just used some plastic fillings in and around the bushing

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can you explain that plastic filings? To tighten the bushing?

yes exactly, there was too much movement everywhere. Some people used a vice to make the stock bushing fit into the hornets lever, but nobody got time for that stuff. So i literally got the first plastic/rubber thing i could find on my toolbox and cut it appropriately.

however for inside the bushing I think I used electrical tape, or cotton tape

1 - 20 of 64 Posts