Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm looking very seriously at getting this exhaust on my FZ but I don't have the funds to get a PC or an ECU tune. Would I be safe running it for a while without the tune or is that just going to cost me engine issues down the road and what about warranty, will it void the warranty?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think you should be ok but after a bit, you're going to want to get the tune.
I ran my Akra Carbon w/out a tune for a while...seemed to lope with the dB killer out. Got the tune and it ran so much better.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Warranty? What's that? Lol jk my warranty is over and done with so It doesn't affect me but I guess depending on anything that go wrongs it would obviously depend on if the exhaust is the cause or not and if your dealer will honor the warranty still, I can't see the slip on causing any real problems to be honest, all the things I've put an exhaust on I've never had problems, a tune will most definitely help it perform better with the exhaust though.

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
Ok so I'm looking very seriously at getting this exhaust on my FZ but I don't have the funds to get a PC or an ECU tune. Would I be safe running it for a while without the tune or is that just going to cost me engine issues down the road and what about warranty, will it void the warranty?
I am sure it would not hurt anything but for sure it is not going to run as well as it should.

My flash is only $80 I realize money can be tight but I would deff get the flash when you can. Honestly besides sound you are going to get more performance increase from the flash then the pipe

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well so I guess my big issue is finding a place local that can do the flash, I asked my dealer and they said I had to buy a PC first and then they could tune it. That made no sense to me b/c I thought a PC came tunable for owner..?

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
Well so I guess my big issue is finding a place local that can do the flash, I asked my dealer and they said I had to buy a PC first and then they could tune it. That made no sense to me b/c I thought a PC came tunable for owner..?
You dont want to just take your bike to anyone to have them flash it, all flashes are not created equal

the PC is tunable by the owner, but the dealer or anyone needs a way to tune it. The PC is just what most are familiar and comfortable with. If they are not going to tune it on a dyno and just use a downloaded map from dyno jet's site then you are just as well off doing it yourself

with expedited shipping you could send me your ecu monday and have it back before friday, cost about $25 each way

·
Registered
315 Posts
You dont want to just take your bike to anyone to have them flash it, all flashes are not created equal

the PC is tunable by the owner, but the dealer or anyone needs a way to tune it. The PC is just what most are familiar and comfortable with. If they are not going to tune it on a dyno and just use a downloaded map from dyno jet's site then you are just as well off doing it yourself

with expedited shipping you could send me your ecu monday and have it back before friday, cost about $25 each way
Do yourself a favor, and have David re-flash your ECM. Even with the stock exhaust, the results are amazing.
There are a few FZ09's running around with stock exhaust, and his re-flash, that run stronger than those with full systems, and self tuned PC5.

It will be one of the best modifications that you do, also, one of the least expensive.
If you do the exhaust, after his re-flash he can fine tune it, if you think it is necessary.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent, soon as I get the bike back from shop I'll def give this a go!! Also, I'm really not after more power, this bike is not hurting for power in anyway but the OEM exhaust is hideous and I'd like a better sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts