Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the M4 for my bike.The price/weight loss make it a good buy for me and it seems as tho a full system doesnt make alot more hp.
I will be honest that the added noise level compared to stock is a bonus.I do believe that some noise does make us more visable to drivers!
My main question is for the riders that have added the M4 did you feel as tho a fuel controller was a must while running the baffle?
Did alot of research and it seems 50/50 mix of who are running one,who just installed slip on and left it stock.
Also,how does the M4 compare in quality to the others yoshi,akcro,arrow etc..
Thanks!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
The M4 is a great quality piece. Make sure you've got a good grinder because the weld on the stock pipe are pretty hard. Also myself and a number of people have had to deal with missing DB killers. I'm currently trying to convince the place i purchased my exhaust from that mine did not come with one even though M4 says they are already installed lol. I'm like duhhhh i know they're SUPPOSED to be pre installed... mine is not though.

It sounds mean as hell though and i like it... just want the option to make it quiet. It scares the squirrels off the road :p

I don't know if it needs it or not but im using a EJK controller i purchased from Marthy. I figured being able to adjust fuel is a good thing either way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really like my M4 slip-on, I think the quality is great. Takes a little work to get it on (cutting, grinding, etc.) but the savings are worth it in my opinion, plus I like the stock headers better than any of the aftermarket options I have seen. You'll want to install block off plates if you want to mitigate any popping or backfiring on deceleration. Exhaust sounds great, definitely makes you a bit more noticeable on the road. I have always run mine with the baffle in, took it out just to see how loud it would be and quickly reinstalled it, way too loud for me with the baffle out. For me the M4 was a great option to save almost a thousand bucks verse a full system, and the quality is top notch.

·
Registered
380 Posts
M4 is nice pipe. I had a Yoshimura previously and they are about the same quality as far as I can tell. I had a PC3 with the Yoshi, I have the EJK from Marthy with the M4. Its good, runs great.
BOP good idea, I have my AIS hose plugged until I can get around to the BOP. Definitely makes the bike sound smoother on deceleration. I run the M4 with DBK in.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The M4 is a great quality piece. Make sure you've got a good grinder because the weld on the stock pipe are pretty hard. Also myself and a number of people have had to deal with missing DB killers. I'm currently trying to convince the place i purchased my exhaust from that mine did not come with one even though M4 says they are already installed lol. I'm like duhhhh i know they're SUPPOSED to be pre installed... mine is not though.

It sounds mean as hell though and i like it... just want the option to make it quiet. It scares the squirrels off the road :p

I don't know if it needs it or not but im using a EJK controller i purchased from Marthy. I figured being able to adjust fuel is a good thing either way.
Where did you purchase yours from Evil?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I got mine from Solomotoparts.com I ordered it last weekend and received it this past friday. It was missing the DBK but one of the CS reps is on the ball. He says he is giving M4 an earful tomorrow and having them send me one. Paid $368 shipped with a 3% off coupon i found online.

Did yours show up from motomummy yet?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Na still going through the post system. USPS is pretty damn slow from memory lol. Plus I am in Australia, so I dont expect it to show for at least another 2 weeks. Good prices buying online from the US, but gotta wait. I dont mind.

Sounds like M4 have mucked up a batch or two..........I was concerned about having my package sent across the globe only to find out I am missing quite an integral part, so I asked Motomummy to open up the package to ensure that the baffle was installed. I was ensured that it was. He actually contacted M4 direct, because initially he said I would need to buy one as an optional part and a snap ring to hold it in place. I mentioned to him that I think the optional baffle and snap ring is for the GP slip on, not the one for the FZ09 as the FZ09 M4 slip on utilises an allen key bolt to secure the baffle not a snap ring. The info about the optional baffle and snap ring being required was relayed to him from M4. When I told him that most people that had ordered the system had received a baffle with it and could he please check, he opened up the box that I was being sent with my authorisation to check this, and said there was indeed one installed. So it seems that even M4 dont really even know what parts come with what systems...........or the sales reps there are just not on the ball.

Regardless, I will be pissed if it doesnt come with one installed, as I plan on running with the baffle for my own sanity.But good to know that M4 are doing the right thing and getting them sent out if its missing..........but you gotta question the quality control procedures hey?

Also have a G2 throttle tamer tube, Domino grips, Rizoma bar, Graves block off plates, Puig speedo backshell and PCV coming all at the same time for installation. I had the GPR damper booked in too, but the bank manager was getting cranky with all the motorcycle related spending so I put that on the backburner for now.

Tax returns for the win!!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah good on you for having them check. Now you just gotta hope they knew what they were looking at lol. I have the Graves BOP on the way too. Figured while i had the tank off to put the EJK on i might as well eliminate the AIS.

Other than the missing DBK, you can tell quality is high on this exhaust. It looks and sounds great! Ear plugs help a lot. It did come with a sticker talking about repacking it when needed or you burn the CF shell. I hope i know when that time comes because they also say they wont warranty the burnt shell. I've never had to repack a muffler before.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah I thought it would be worth my time to get him to check. At least now they have an extra bit of info in the memory bank to be able to better inform future customers. No I have never repacked either, it just gets louder!!!

Yeah I figured if the tank was gonna be off for the tuner install, good time to block off the AIS.

I run all the time with earplugs.....only disposable foamies from work but they do the job awesomely and are comfy as hell being made to be worn for 10-12 hours at a time whilst working. Cant wait to get it all installed.

My mate has had a couple of M4 full systems before on his previous bikes, and they were both super high quality including the nice carbon weave. His current Akrapovic is nowhere near the same quality in both his opinion and mine from an aesthetic point of view. Performance wise they may be the shiz, but M4 just looked better quality overall. And with the damn low price of less than 400 bucks shipped, you could get 2 of these slip ons and you would still have cash in pocket over a full system. If in a couple years the muffler shell is on its way out, by then they will probably only cost a couple hundred bucks to buy anyway.

Best bang for buck exhaust IMO.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

What's an EJK cost...???

(this thread has some great posts:sign13:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Evil is that coupon still available by chance?

·
Registered
139 Posts
What a bummer about that sale. I just ordered mine last week from motomummy only for them to email me and tell me it is out of stock till early this week. I don't care about saving the 10 bucks, but if I could have and had it ship out immediately I would have definitely ordered elsewhere.

Question on the block off plates. Are they still required with the stoltec flash? I believe the flash closes the butterflys so you don't need BOP correct?

·
Registered
438 Posts
What a bummer about that sale. I just ordered mine last week from motomummy only for them to email me and tell me it is out of stock till early this week. I don't care about saving the 10 bucks, but if I could have and had it ship out immediately I would have definitely ordered elsewhere.

Question on the block off plates. Are they still required with the stoltec flash? I believe the flash closes the butterflys so you don't need BOP correct?
That's what i was told as well, that any stoltec flash disables the AIS. I'm still doing the BOP just to have some room in there for the EJK harness and to have one less thing to worry about on the bike. I had no popping on decel with the M4 and Stoltec basic flash.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you very much

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey

I did put the M4 and I had crazy pops while deaccelerating. Now that I've blocked the hose on the left side of the airbox as recommended on this forum, my bike sounds perfect!

However, I will send my ECU this winter to get it perfectly adjusted. I'm sure I could gain more in the midrange :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts