Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is why I love forums

Everyone i talked to said to by an M4 exhaust for my new Fz-09..so i did...and it sounds awesome..fixed some issues i was having with it leaking where it clamps to the headers and thats it...i am getting that typical crackle pop on decel though and I think it sounds awesome personally but after reading the forums ive learned my bike is running lean and im risking destroying my motor

I havent even broken the damn thing in yet..only 300 miles..and now im risking blowing it cause i have an exhaust?? im used to throwing an exhaust on a car and it being fine stock...didnt know you had to tune a motorcycle motor just to have an exhaust..crazy! and none of the install videos or youtibe videos of people installing and running the exhaust ever mentioned having to tune it.

so my question is...do i really have to buy a power commander with the M4 map to run this exhaust safely on my bike? like i said it only has 300 miles so im still babying it and dont rev it past the recommended 5600 rpm. I looked at the other options and dont want to have to mail my ecu anywhere and wait for it to come back ..the powercommander seems to be the best and quickest option but just wondering how long i can run this exhaust stock without any issues.

Thank!

Edit: so i did some research on the AIS block off plates and just ordered some...

While doing the research, some say im still gonna need the PCV to completely fix my A/F ratio and some say just AIS plates will do it. Either way, i wont be getting the plates in until late this coming week and if i do order the PCV i wont be getting it until late week as well. can i safely ride the bike in the mean time or will i be slowly destroying my motor?

cant believe all this over a simple exhaust install!! blows my mind coming from the car scene..never would have though you would need to do so much just to support an exhaust mod

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry man im coming from the car scene and not to familiar with the working of bikes yet... read something about those but not too familar yet..what exactly do those do?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Hey Mate,

Block the hose that connect to the airbox on the LH side. Use a plug in the hose and plug it back on the airbox. If you want a fuel controller I have the EJK in stock. If you want to drive over here I can install it for you and block your AIS system...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mate,

Block the hose that connect to the airbox on the LH side. Use a plug in the hose and plug it back on the airbox. If you want a fuel controller I have the EJK in stock. If you want to drive over here I can install it for you and block your AIS system...
sent you pm

·
Registered
833 Posts
Fuel management is good. Your motor isn't going to blow up from running to lean with the M4. The popping on decel is directly related to the air injection system. not running dangerously lean.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How important is it to block the hole in the air box if I made a plug for the hose and just left bung on the air box open?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I remember correctly the AIS is fed filtered air-not capping the bung will allow dirt to go directly into your engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
this all sounds a little dramatic. I have gone over 4000 miles since installing the M4, beat on the bike furiously, and have not tuned it yet. I doubt the exhaust makes enough power to lean it out much. I havent put a wideband on it yet.... but most factory engines are tuned a tad on the conservative side anyway. If you have a speed density or TPS tuned engine like these bikes then increasing the airflow a little can sometimes put your air/fuel right where you want it. If I were worried about running really lean, I would first spend the money to put a wideband on the bike (either installed or just put it on a dyno) and see how its even running before trying to change it.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Marthy?

This has been done.

Factory bikes are tuned lean, for emissions. Marthy did a lot of tuning on this bike, and it is lean from the factory. It's tuned for emissions, not power. Adding an aftermarket exhaust leans it more. Maybe not to dangerous levels, but it isn't making the power it should.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess that it depends on your idea of lean. The only thing I have to really go by is what I noticed here: FZ-09 on the Dyno | Stoltec Moto | StoltecMoto

I have an extra wideband laying around the shop. Maybe if I get curious enough what the stock tune is doing I will install it for a while. I would guess that my exhaust leaned it out by maybe a tenth point or two... certainly not anywhere that I am concerned about engine damage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Installed M4 6000km ago runs great, love the burble pop, beat the snot out of it often damn thing likes it!,,
my mechanic says I need a power commander
Will happen in non riding time, every day is key in a short Canada riding season.
Enjoy the bike

·
Vendor
1,556 Posts
I can tell you for certain after creating maps for the stock bike and the m4 slip on besides some part throttle places the bike did not require much more fuel with the m4 slip on vs stock. Certainly not enough to hurt anything

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the responses here have made me somewhat more comfortable riding the bike without the PCV or other fuel management but im still looking to get one

ive been doing my needed research but still cant seem to find an answer to this...once the PCV 5 is installed and i download the m4 slip on map into it...is that all i need to do or does it need to be dyno tuned as well?

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
I can tell you for certain after creating maps for the stock bike and the m4 slip on besides some part throttle places the bike did not require much more fuel with the m4 slip on vs stock. Certainly not enough to hurt anything
The baffle-in is safer than baffle out, for sure. Though, part throttle accounts for more time than WOT...especially on this bike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The baffle-in is safer than baffle out, for sure. Though, part throttle accounts for more time than WOT...especially on this bike.
good to know as well..does that help with the leaning out at all? my bike isnt even broken in yet so i dont even rev past 5600..is it safe to ride around until i get a PCV installed if i put the DB killer in? and if you could...i had a question just above your last post...would you know what i would need to do? thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The safest recourse is to have your bike tuned properly. No one will advise you to run the exhaust without proper tuning...
yeah im most likely gonna buy purchasing the PCV tomorrow. is that a unit that once i download the m4 map onto it im good to go or does it need to be dyno tuned?

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
yeah im most likely gonna buy purchasing the PCV tomorrow. is that a unit that once i download the m4 map onto it im good to go or does it need to be dyno tuned?
You can load a map to it, but your results will depend solely on the file you use (i.e. how well the file was constructed). Also, keep in mind that the PCV only changes fueling in the TPS table, not the MAP table. It also doesn't alter timing, throttle maps, or speed limiters. If you are interested in those areas, you'll need access to the ECU, not a piggyback (PCV or Bazzaz).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can load a map to it, but your results will depend solely on the file you use (i.e. how well the file was constructed). Also, keep in mind that the PCV only changes fueling in the TPS table, not the MAP table. It also doesn't alter timing, throttle maps, or speed limiters. If you are interested in those areas, you'll need access to the ECU, not a piggyback (PCV or Bazzaz).
Thanks for the info...im just interested in fixing the leaning out that the m4 exhaust is creating...coming from the car scene where putting an exhaust on was literally no big deal at all..im seriously in shock at all the problems of putting this exhaust one...this literally gonna be pushing a 1000 bucks after the PCV and possibly autotone plus the price of the exhaust...plus all that is going to kill my 5 year warranty on the bike...almost feel like going back to a stock exhaust

1 - 20 of 29 Posts