Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this exhaust? They are claiming a 10 lb reduction and 5 hp increase.

It's a slip on but you have to cut the exhaust. Is this true for all exhausts? I would want the option to go back to stock.

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
All slip-ons would require cutting, if done cleanly you could probably weld (tig) the 2 original pcs. back together if need be but the best option is to spring for a full system, you could always sell it if you didn't like it, at a loss of course. You may need ecu flash and or fuel controller to adjust mixture for some pipes but not all I would guess...definitely a way to lose 8-10# and $800-$1200 ...Mark

·
Registered
224 Posts
definitely would never pay for a full exhaust. at least not on any stinkin 3+cylinder bike.

im looking at the slip on as well, but not a really huge fan of the difference

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the exhaust advertised in an email from one of the motorcycle stores. The ten pound reduction was what caught my attention. I like the stock exhaust otherwise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
All slip-ons would require cutting, if done cleanly you could probably weld (tig) the 2 original pcs. back together if need be but the best option is to spring for a full system, you could always sell it if you didn't like it, at a loss of course. You may need ecu flash and or fuel controller to adjust mixture for some pipes but not all I would guess...definitely a way to lose 8-10# and $800-$1200 ...Mark

Not all, my fz6 needed zero cutting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just curious why would number of cylinders determine full vs slip on for you
Probably hates the sound. Unlike those annoying ass screaming eagle exhaust, which I have never heard a eagle go rabble rabble rabble. More like a high pitch bacaw!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you think the screaming eagle exhaust is annoying it's good you have never heard my bike....it is one obnoxious Harley. I love not waking the 100 mile radius dead with a motorcycle now.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Whoa. Yes lots (most?) cruisers are v twins but plenty of sport bikes are too. And parallel twins. My nick is for a v twin standard/sport bike, the SV650 and I was shopping for another v2 but didn't find the combination of power, weight, naked, cost etc that I wanted so I got the 09. Kept the nick as a protest lol.

I've only ridden my 09 26 miles before winter, I like the sound, a lot better than an inline 4, but not as much as a v twin standard/SPORT bike. Harleys sound like old farm machinery.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Whoa. Yes lots (most?) cruisers are v twins but plenty of sport bikes are too. And parallel twins. My nick is for a v twin standard/sport bike, the SV650 and I was shopping for another v2 but didn't find the combination of power, weight, naked, cost etc that I wanted so I got the 09. Kept the nick as a protest lol.

I've only ridden my 09 26 miles before winter, I like the sound, a lot better than an inline 4, but not as much as a v twin standard/SPORT bike. Harleys sound like old farm machinery.
the sv650 is like my favorite bike of all time.

The game shows in Japan are weird.
theyre clearly speaking spanish, mate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not all, my fz6 needed zero cutting.
My reference was in response to Jen's question regarding FZ-09's. When I started riding the words slip-on didn't exist and sometimes our mufflers accidentily slipped-off, whoa! where'd that extra power come from? Those who rode or ride old Brits know of what I speak...Mark

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anyone have any experience with this exhaust? They are claiming a 10 lb reduction and 5 hp increase.

It's a slip on but you have to cut the exhaust. Is this true for all exhausts? I would want the option to go back to stock.

Thanks!
Jen, refer to the other M4 exhaust thread started a month or two ago, in it I post that I have it on my bike now and yes, the weight savings is accurate and so is the power claim - HOWEVER, your bike will run really lean without having it reflashed or used in tandem with a Power commander V. My tuner did the reflash yesterday, long story short, here's the results:

Stock - 104hp and 60ft lbs of torque
With M4 - 109 and 62
M4 and reflash/dyno tune - 112 and 65

What that doesn't tell you though is just how massive the change is from 4000-9000rpm - the tuned graph TOWERS above the stock one and although the peak numbers are not overly huge compared to stock, the midrange advantage this gives is phenominal. Not to mention of course all of the other benefits of the reflash like super smooth throttle, a healthy Air/fuel ratio, added fuel on decel for slipper-like assistance, etc...

I'll be starting a thread to share more info on this as soon as I get my dyno graph sent to me and I speak more with the tuner about how it went. Once I ride it, I'll post up an update as well.

As you likely know, the M4 can be had for under $350ish shipped and is a really good quality piece for any price, it's not just a bargain/cheap made product at all and in fact my tuner recommends nothing but for SV650 racebikes even though he's a dealer for other brands.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Jen, refer to the other M4 exhaust thread started a month or two ago, in it I post that I have it on my bike now and yes, the weight savings is accurate and so is the power claim - HOWEVER, your bike will run really lean without having it reflashed or used in tandem with a Power commander V. My tuner did the reflash yesterday, long story short, here's the results:

Stock - 104hp and 60ft lbs of torque
With M4 - 109 and 62
M4 and reflash/dyno tune - 112 and 65

What that doesn't tell you though is just how massive the change is from 4000-9000rpm - the tuned graph TOWERS above the stock one and although the peak numbers are not overly huge compared to stock, the midrange advantage this gives is phenominal. Not to mention of course all of the other benefits of the reflash like super smooth throttle, a healthy Air/fuel ratio, added fuel on decel for slipper-like assistance, etc...

I'll be starting a thread to share more info on this as soon as I get my dyno graph sent to me and I speak more with the tuner about how it went. Once I ride it, I'll post up an update as well.

As you likely know, the M4 can be had for under $350ish shipped and is a really good quality piece for any price, it's not just a bargain/cheap made product at all and in fact my tuner recommends nothing but for SV650 racebikes even though he's a dealer for other brands.

Will be looking forward to this thread. You may have answered this somewhere else, but are you using a PCV or did the tuner just reflash your ECU?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to know, thanks for the info. I'm going to leave it stock for now (since I just bought the bike and need to stop spending money for a while). In a few months I'll look into this more.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Will be looking forward to this thread. You may have answered this somewhere else, but are you using a PCV or did the tuner just reflash your ECU?
Reflashed using Stoltecs baseline flash but then altered and dyno tuned by Nels. No PCV needed and infinite changes allowed at any time from now on, just a quick plug in and I'm able to change anything I need to.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts