Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Stock exhaust cut off with a slip-on... sound like a cheap knock off of what I do.

Removing the O2 sensor on this bike doesn't work. Throttle jerk get worst...

Every time there's a throttle input it lean to 15:1 AFR then trim down to 13.5:1 in about 15 second.

This is not a M4 exhaust. This is something the stealership did in their backyard using a M4 can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm calling BS on your post about M4 not having done the work. If you don't believe it's an M4 exhaust, then you should speak to Kyle Martin at M4 (972)-481-9300.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
So you are saying that they did the whole thing... this is the stock headers! Cut and weld a mid pipe to it and used a M4 slip-on. All I know is they did a fine job on the FZ6R with there exhaust... Here you go Mate, they cut right before the weld mark there and weld a 2" tube and install a M4 slip-on.

So my point is, this is not a M4 exhaust. This is a stock exhaust fitted with a M4 slip-on. Let's call it what it is.

Cheers Mate!

DSC02705.jpg

·
Registered
611 Posts
It still needs some more work IMO. The can is short enough that the midpipe could be a good 6 inches shorter. And the angle of the can seems to not quite clear the swingarm. The sound is the worst IMO. Close your eyes and listen to the M4 video and then close your eyes and listen to this one:

See how much more responsive this one is? And no popping? Listen to the 2brothers, graves, etc, and they aren't quite like this one(yet), but are closer than the M4.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Marthy's exhaust is mean. Just from the sound, it sounds like the m4 is a cheap job. I doubt they would put out a custom exhaust that sounds like that. Great sound Marthy! Doesn't sound like a ricer, it sounds like the BAMF that it is.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm going to eat my own words here....but the stock exhaust sounds decent on the go. Idle, just like another jap bike.
There was nothing special about that M4.

It's wait and see. Arrow just came out with a full system for the fz9.
If you can weld, you can probably do the same thing these guys did with the M4 can.

Looks like Marty charges for a brand new set up, and that means that you can have your stock pipe as a back up.
Price is fair. He's in it to supply us a decent product, and make some money out of it. Same story as the dealer above.

I have cut up a stock exhaust and modifed it, with my tenere. bought a second hand staintune pipe for a triumph, cut up the stocker, and made the whole thing fit.
The only reason for that was that staintune does not offer a pipe for the ST. They did, it was a mere $950 for a slip on.
The whole thing off ebay cost me $200 (including the welding by a buddy)
It sounds great, never needs repacking, and weighs way less. Would I do it again? Not sure.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Its a slip on, the only full systems I know of are Akropovic, Graves, Two Brothers, Exan and Arrow. The big clue here is the OEM headers, it still sounds nice for a slip-on.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Just got off phone with the guys at M4 and this exhaust is what they are calling their hacksaw slip-on. You cut your stock exhaust headers off before the cat. Their system has all the mounting hardware and sensor inlet and removable silencer/baffle. They are in production right now and should be ready to ship in one week from today. And the great news is the retail price of only $422.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
deadduck357 did you ask M4 if they will also be selling a complete system?

Just curious, I'll keep the stock exhaust for the street. I had a complete M4 on my first gen track SV650 and really liked it.

My riding pisses people off enough, I don't need add noise to it.
I asked and they said "No plans at this time". Just the "Hacksaw Slip-on" for $422.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It looks like you may have a future in politics. Only a politician would argue that spending $422 will result in saving $700.
Just saying if someone is on a tight budget this system may be an option. You get a more throaty sound while loosing the cat weight. While most full systems will be starting around $1,100 this system only retails for $422, a savings of approx. $700.

Personally I'm going with a full system, just don't know which one yet, but leaning towards the Akrapovic.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Marthy, could you explain the difference here between this exhaust and yours? Your having to cut the exhaust on both and put on the slip on. I personally think this exhaust looks decent. In your opinion, why is yours better? Also, I assume some type of reflash would still be required with the m4 which I see no mention of. Correct?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts