Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to check in since I have been spending a lot of time here researching. I'm seriously considering making the FZ-09 my next motorcycle purchase. I have been riding street bikes for almost 25 years and dirt bikes before that. My current set-up is a Suzuki Bandit 1250, Header+Yosh R-77 carbon+TFi box+modded air box etc. And a 99 Yamaha Vmax( mostly comfort mods). Over the years I have owned Ninjas, Gixxers, a VTR-1000 and Gen2 and 3 Bandits. Now days I am into usable street torque with non-supersport ergs, hence my interest in the FZ-09. The 09 appeals to me because of the light weight and power. I use my Bandit as my everyday commuting, and canyon carving ride. So something more nimble, flickable, etc...with big torque might be able to convoke me to part with my beloved big bore Suzuki. A dealer close to me has one that I can demo, so I plan on doing that sometime real soon (weather permitting). Thats all I have for now... back to the research...
Oh, one question....is the M4 the only slip-on available at this point? and is this because of having to cut off that big utter part of the pipe?

Thanks for your time!

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a demo ride set up for Sat morning. The demo bike happens to have the M4 slip on installed. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Have fun! :eek:ccasion14:

You should have made this a poll! So we can all vote on whether or not you'll end up coming home with one.

I'm willing to bet $50 bucks, right now, that you end up riding it home :evil5:

·
Registered
315 Posts
A couple of things instantly come to mind:

- You like Hot Rod Standards.

- Being a past dirt bike guy, the seating will "feel at home", instantly..

- Big torque and light weight, is a great combination............hope you get a good deal!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The tank sticker has been the only thing I had to "mod" first..

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

You should have made this a poll! So we can all vote on whether or not you'll end up coming home with one.

We will see. Gotta ride it first. We will see what they offer for my beloved Bandit. Might need to sell it myself. If that is the case, I may be waiting a bit...

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had a 98 B12 with a Holeshot slip on, stage II kit with pods, GSXR intake cam, about $2,500 in suspension upgrades... I was pulling 126hp out of the Bandit - but because the FZ is so much lighter it feels like it makes a lot more power. I like my stock FZ engine better than my hot-rod'ed Bandit which I absolutely loved. I would like to have the same suspension upgrades and steel braided brake lines - but the stock suspensions and brakes are about the same on the two bikes.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a 98 B12 with a Holeshot slip on, stage II kit with pods, GSXR intake cam, about $2,500 in suspension upgrades... I was pulling 126hp out of the Bandit - but because the FZ is so much lighter it feels like it makes a lot more power. I like my stock FZ engine better than my hot-rod'ed Bandit which I absolutely loved. I would like to have the same suspension upgrades and steel braided brake lines - but the stock suspensions and brakes are about the same on the two bikes.
Thanks for the reply. You know exactly where I am coming from then. My set up is the full Dale Walker stage 2 set up. This is what intrigues me. All this torque in a bike 150lbs lighter than the Bandit, even more upright ergos, more leg room? I'm by No means a road racer, so we will see what the suspension feels like to me...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

You would have won your bet. I got the orange one.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
You would have won your bet. I got the orange one.
Welcome to the world of the FZ09. What part of the country are you located? Lots and lots of good/great info here and plenty of guys/gals with a lot of knowledge about bikes in general. Enjoy the ride and stay safe.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the world of the FZ09. What part of the country are you located? Lots and lots of good/great info here and plenty of guys/gals with a lot of knowledge about bikes in general. Enjoy the ride and stay safe.
I'm in Denver, CO USA... I need to update my profile now that I am an actual owner. Riding season is almost here!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Lol :toothy12:

Totally called it!

Welcome to FZ-09 Owners Anonymous... we all suffer from the same addiction here :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
All I can say, is this bike is quick and nimble. Remember, my Bandit 1250 weighed about 150lbs more full of gas. I am not getting the whole scary and snatchy in A Mode thing though. Seems fine to me. Most FI bikes are like this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts