Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one tried these vs getting a different seat ? I'm on the fence wether to go see a custom guy and spend all day with him vs trying this first.I get butt burn about 45 mins into a ride so I'm probably better than most of the guys I've heard on here only lasting 20 mins.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Has any one tried these vs getting a different seat ? I'm on the fence wether to go see a custom guy and spend all day with him vs trying this first.I get butt burn about 45 mins into a ride so I'm probably better than most of the guys I've heard on here only lasting 20 mins.
Yes someone has already done this with the gel, and the Luimoto cover.....however they customised it a bit and added some suede. Cant remember what thread it was in, I will have a search. It was one of the seat threads.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I initially thought about this as an option until I was told that if you do a gel insert in a seat, there is a possibility of a couple of negative things happening.
1. Gel insert will get a lot hotter if the bike is sitting out in the sun.....you know, like being out riding and then stopping for lunch or ???
2. Because of the material, the gel will deteriorate and break down sooner than a high quality foam.

I can't be sure that either one of these two points are 100% accurate, just something to investigate further before doing this mod. I really didn't want to pour through page after page of pro's and con's about it, especially when I got pricing from my local guy on the seat mod that I had done.

Reactions: Poogamer69 and rtsb

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
]I initially thought about this as an option until I was told that if you do a gel insert in a seat, there is a possibility of a couple of negative things happening.
1. Gel insert will get a lot hotter if the bike is sitting out in the sun.....you know, like being out riding and then stopping for lunch or ???
2. Because of the material, the gel will deteriorate and break down sooner than a high quality foam.
I can't be sure that either one of these two points are 100% accurate, just something to investigate further before doing this mod. I really didn't want to pour through page after page of pro's and con's about it, especially when I got pricing from my local guy on the seat mod that I had done.
Thank you ya I can see how those things can happen .I like the Top Sellerie seat a lot but I want to keep the flow of the seat it really makes the bike I think so .I probably will work with a guy on keeping the original look but compromise some to get the comfort .The corbin is probably comfy but it takes away from the look in my opinion.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I initially thought about this as an option until I was told that if you do a gel insert in a seat, there is a possibility of a couple of negative things happening.

Thank you ya I can see how those things can happen .I like the Top Sellerie seat a lot but I want to keep the flow of the seat it really makes the bike I think so I probably will work with a guy on keeping the original look but compromise some to get the comfort .The corbin is probably comfy but it takes away from the look in my opinion.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I added Saddlemen gel under my stock seat cover after relieving the foam to mostly account for the thickness of the gel. So far so good- more comfortable than stock although I may relieve a bit more foam from the back portion to lessen the slope. I had done something similar with my Hawk GT using a bicycle gel seat cover, and that's held up fine for the 12 years and counting that I've used it. I did not notice any added heat after parking in the sun, but it would make sense that the gel would retain more heat than foam. The gel also adds a good 3-4 pounds to the weight of the seat. This is what it looks like.
tmp_IMG_20140507_195331_329-136391866.jpg

·
Registered
201 Posts
i had a gel seat on my speed triple and it got hotter than hell when i left it out in the sun. cant say the same will happen with this insert, but i imagine it'd be a safe bet. cant say i ever noticed any deterioration.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I added Saddlemen gel under my stock seat cover after relieving the foam to mostly account for the thickness of the gel. So far so good- more comfortable than stock although I may relieve a bit more foam from the back portion to lessen the slope. I had done something similar with my Hawk GT using a bicycle gel seat cover, and that's held up fine for the 12 years and counting that I've used it. I did not notice any added heat after parking in the sun, but it would make sense that the gel would retain more heat than foam. The gel also adds a good 3-4 pounds to the weight of the seat. This is what it looks like.
View attachment 6994
I'm curious it looks like it's not flush with the rest of the seat did you not cut enough foam out or is it and optical allusion ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not quite flush. It was a quick, "proof of concept", and I wanted to make sure that the gel or underlying foam didn't compress more and appear sunken. May adjust it later- not a priority as it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Installed the luimoto gel on my wifes fz09. It was an easy task. We weren't ready to shell out hundreds for a seat that might not be right. After a 200 mile ride, She was very happy with the improvement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts