Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For anyone wondering what mounting points are available on the 09.
The holes marked with plastic tubing have threaded bushes welded inside them.(M8 I think)
The inside of the plastic covers have drilling centers marked on them.It's hard to see in the picture,but the marks are Xs on the two smooth square areas.You can see only one diagonal of each X due to lighting.

The front hole is not the one I marked with the tubing but the forwardmost hole.
The hole spacing is 200mm left side to right side and 130mm front to rear and the pattern is rectangular so there is no offset side to side.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Those are the mounting/drilling marks for the OEM rack. I mounted mine Saturday. It was easy, just be sure to hit the marks!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
That's a good find. I've been considering making a little rack for my Givi E21. But having an easy way to put them on just long longer weekend trip then off when I don't need them.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan to make two short tubular rails to attach bungies or straps to for luggage.To keep the bungies off the plastic cover.
Remember to use shoulder screws or spacers so you don't tighten down on the plastic cover and split it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For anyone wondering what mounting points are available on the 09.
The holes marked with plastic tubing have threaded bushes welded inside them.(M8 I think)
The inside of the plastic covers have drilling centers marked on them.It's hard to see in the picture,but the marks are Xs on the two smooth square areas.You can see only one diagonal of each X due to lighting.
Correct they are M8-1.25, and kudos you found the markings on the INSIDE plastic cover. Still before mounting make sure they line up... mien didn't!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct they are M8-1.25, and kudos you found the markings on the INSIDE plastic cover. Still before mounting make sure they line up... mien didn't!
Good tip.I will turn an M8 threaded rod to a point and screw it into the bushes before refitting the covers and use it to mark the inside of the cover before drilling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been thinking on getting a pair of E21s myself. The only issue I have is the lack of mounting brackets for the 09

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I've been thinking on getting a pair of E21s myself. The only issue I have is the lack of mounting brackets for the 09
Let me look into it. I built mine in the FZ6R 3 years ago and still in one piece. I'm considering building myself one. Rain every other day here in Florida... I can built 2. The hardware was about $30.00 for the E-21.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Build three!
Let me look into it. I built mine in the FZ6R 3 years ago and still in one piece. I'm considering building myself one. Rain every other day here in Florida... I can built 2. The hardware was about $30.00 for the E-21.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Really? I wasn't planning... whay kind of price range would be acceptable? Side case rack only... could be double up for soft saddle bags support too.

To do it right I might need to borrow a stock rear fender.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in! Dude, tells us what YOU think is gonna cost you. Doubling for soft bags would be sweet too, as I already have those, but missing the bar that goes in the passenger pegs. I'm in Tampa.. Planning on Bike Week?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm in! Dude, tells us what YOU think is gonna cost you. Doubling for soft bags would be sweet too, as I already have those, but missing the bar that goes in the passenger pegs. I'm in Tampa.. Planning on Bike Week?
Did you get the actual Yamaha side bags? And either way how well are they working without those stupid 100 dollars rods?

·
Registered
584 Posts
if you can not wait on the Yamaha bars for the passenger pegs before your trip, do what I did. spend 10.00 and make some standoffs that will keep your bags out of the tire.
here is a link

http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/574-mounting-soft-saddlebags.html

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tuned down some M8 threaded rod to points and screwed it into the mounting points to see how accurate the X marks on the plastic covers were.I remounted the covers and pressed the plastic against the points to mark it. The Xs were not spot on,but were within 2mm,which is what you would expect in such an assembly.
So if you drill holes in the plastics 2mm oversize you should be ok.I had the new marks so my drill holes were dead accurate.

I made some rails to strap stuff to.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If you look at my previous post,a simple piece of flat bar can be mounted.Maybe with some side pieces hanging down on the ends to keep soft bags off the wheel.
Not for me. I don't like any more hardware on the bike. I use tie-down rings on the back of the plate, and will drill the "X" marked holes on the side panel to run 8mm bolts through with tie down hooks.

Note the hooks:
side.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I ordered my bike I ordered the Yamaha rack to be used on long trips but I did not want to leave it in place for everyday use, so I fitted the rack and then removed it, I left the mounting bolts in place after removing the rack to be used as luggage tie down points, I added another plastic hook near the rear, there is a plastic pop pin to hold the rear end plastic covers in place, I replaced that pin with a small nut and bolt, this holds the hook in place, I have not drilled any extra holes so it can all be put back as it was.
The bolts left in place, I used shorter bolts in the rear holes than the front ones.

The rear hook that I had to reshape and drill a centre hole in.

The hook fitted and the two bolts showing.

Sorry for the crappy photos.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts