Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More than anything I'm starting this thread to record what all I have done and how I've done things to the bike for future reference, but you are more than welcome to comment, question, etc etc.

The bike is bone stock but I've decided to come up with my own flyscreen because I don't like the looks of anything currently on the market. I had a stock screen for an '09 Versys laying around so I decided to mock it up and see what it would look like. I like the looks of it and I've gonna fab up some brackets, then paint it up like a number plate on a dirt bike. (probably number 9, can you guess why?)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Headlamp Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Reactions: upsidedown

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the brackets made and tried out my screen tonight.

Mocking up with cardstock

Motorcycle Motor vehicle Headlamp Vehicle Automotive lighting

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Cutting the brackets with pneumatic snippers

After drilling the holes, bending them in the vice

Scale model

Impact driver Hammer drill Impact wrench Drill Handyman

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mounted

Auto part Vehicle Machine Engine

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

Went for a test ride and it was very serendipitous that the screen was on there since I took out some kind of prehistoric creature that would have been plastered all over my gauge had the screen not been installed.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Tire Car

Intersects nicely with the headlight housing as well

Headlamp Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Green

Automotive exterior Auto part Glass Vehicle Automotive window part

Performance wise it's noisier now but at 100mph I don't feel like I have to hang on for dear life now, minimal/no noticeable buffeting and greatly reduced chest pressure. I'm 6' 1" (I have the sitting height of a normal 6' 3" person though) and the wind hits me just below the helmet, which is perfect to me, keeps my helmet in the clean air. Very happy for something that hasn't cost me anything yet :cool:

Tomorrow I'm gonna take it apart and clean up the brackets for paint and go find some nice stainless hardware for the shield.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my brackets all cleaned up and painted and got some nice stainless hardware for the whole setup

Knocked off all the sharp corners and edges and sanded, ready for paint

Cardboard Play Wood Table Paper product

Painted

Table Metal

Mounted

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Transport

Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Auto part Automotive exterior Bicycle accessory

Very happy so far, can't wait to paint the screen :cool:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Added a USB charger (Thanks to Niner for the idea and info)

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Fender

Vehicle Car Family car Automotive window part

Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Auto part Car

Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Decided to go simple on this screen and just go with flat black since it's old and scarred up. Gonna get a number for it this week. Eventually I'll buy a new shield and paint it to match the bike.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motorcycle

Vehicle Auto part Motorcycle accessories Engine Car

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my new ram mount base in today so I can ditch that ugly bar clamp. Much sleeker now

Old location:

New location:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm wanting to see your moto with the number on there. You could do a white pin stripe / pin line around the border like the Ducatti

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see some RC models in your garage...a man after my own heart.

I see fixed wings. You got heli's too?
Yeah I've done a bit of everything over the years. free flight, R/C planes, helis, cars, motorcycles :rolleyes:
Kind of out of it at the moment. Just got burned out you know

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah I've done a bit of everything over the years. free flight, R/C planes, helis, cars, motorcycles :rolleyes:
Kind of out of it at the moment. Just got burned out you know
Understand the burn out. Been there a number of times...but just like a stray cat, it just keeps coming back.

A few pics of my new hanger in the retirement house.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle Vehicle Bicycle part Bmx bike Helicopter Helicopter rotor Rotorcraft Radio-controlled helicopter Radio-controlled aircraft Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Garage Motorcycle accessories Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Bicycle wheel Bicycle accessory Room Vehicle Bicycle

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Understand the burn out. Been there a number of times...but just like a stray cat, it just keeps coming back.

A few pics of my new hanger in the retirement house.
Lol I just sold my 180cfx. First heli I could ever do a piro flip with in real life. I'd take some pictures of my hanger but it's a mess atm. Too many projects :p

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally did some things to the bike. Added some Powermadd handguards so I can use my thin gloves longer into fall, and replaced the front pumpkins with flush mounts. These signals are actually the Hotbodies signals for the 2012-2014 R1, mounted upside down. I made my own filler plate since the ones I had ordered were worthless (just flat pieces of plastic, barely any larger than the hole)

Wood Plywood Circle Drawing Table

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Rim

Wood Games

Auto part Automotive exterior Tire Vehicle Automotive wheel system

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel

I'll take some pictures in daylight tomorrow so you can see the handguards

Reactions: srech77

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's the handguards I got, the yellow isn't an exact match but it's semi-close

From 5 feet

10 feet overcast

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Car

40 feet

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Supermoto

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I like those hand guards... Where did you get them and what brand are they ? And mounting pics would be nice !

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like those hand guards... Where did you get them and what brand are they ? And mounting pics would be nice !

Powermadd Star Series handguards. I ordered them through my work but pretty much any dealer should be able to get them if they get stuff from Parts Unlimited.

PowerMadd | Wyoming, MN | Star Series Handguards

I'll get some pictures tonight, it was tight for sure, especially on the right hand side.

Reactions: abe57
1 - 20 of 36 Posts