Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please. I found some references here on this great forum regarding this grease. The manual keeps referring to LS for certain areas on the bike. I cannot for the life of me find any product labeled “lithium soap based grease”. I bought Maxima’s Waterproof Grease which states it’s made of a lithium complex. Would anyone anticipate any issues with this? I’m assuming this fits the bill but always appreciate input. The project? I posted in a separate thread, but someone knocked over the 09 and bent the left side rear set. Removal requires removing the swing arm bolt. The manual states to grease this with LS. Thanks for the help and happy Friday.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
23 Posts
Help please. I found some references here on this great forum regarding this grease. The manual keeps referring to LS for certain areas on the bike. I cannot for the life of me find any product labeled “lithium soap based grease”. I bought Maxima’s Waterproof Grease which states it’s made of a lithium complex. Would anyone anticipate any issues with this? I’m assuming this fits the bill but always appreciate input. The project? I posted in a separate thread, but someone knocked over the 09 and bent the left side rear set. Removal requires removing the swing arm bolt. The manual states to grease this with LS. Thanks for the help and happy Friday.
Grease is manufactured from different bases, commonly lithium, aluminum or clay and if you mix the different bases sometimes they will react poorly with each other and cause lubrication failure. You can get lithium based grease from most auto parts stores. It comes in tubes or aerosols such as white lithium spray grease for simple applications. For packing bearings I would ask the yami dealer what they recommend. If you get sucked into the marketing of using a sexy premium lube such as lucas, b&g or others you should thoroughly clean and remove any of the existing grease first.
I have been a grease and specialty lube salesman for over 30 years whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I cannot for the life of me find any product labeled “lithium soap based grease”.
I went down a rabbit hole on wheel bearing compatible grease last year, and found this article

A primer about grease: It's basically nothing more than a heavy oil mixed with enough soap to make it stringy and clingy enough to remain in place as the bearing spins. This will ensure the bearing's rollers or balls are constantly covered in the oil. The soap is based on a variety of compounds, notably lithium or aluminum complexes for most of the greases used in cars, trucks and boats.

So if you are looking for the word "soap" based grease, you may not find it described that way - but the article explains that is what they are.
How To Choose The Correct Grease (popularmechanics.com)

·
Registered
6,308 Posts

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Whatever do you mean?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts