Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to get some protection for my baby, in the unlucky event of a tip-over or a minor lowside.
I have been looking at the various threads, but I wanted to make a single page that has a summary of options available for the new guys to the site.
I am looking to you guys to chime in with what you've learned with your own research.

1st question is: What are the points of contact when the bike is on its side?...has anybody actually looked at this or have pictures? ie, are axle sliders important on this bike, and are bar end sliders cheaper than the OEM bar ends? Also curious if frame sliders will protect the shifter and rear brake from getting mangled?

T-Rex looks like it has some good stuff...I am particularly interested in their case covers. I know there was that one crash that wore through one of the covers...are there other options out there? I was even thinking about designing a metal stamped 'shield' to go over the plastic T-Rex cover for add'l wear protection.

The T-Rex Frame slider is huge...too big for my tastes...I am getting a woodcraft slider kit, am I giving up protection by doing so? They obviously picked a contact point between the two frame bolts.

What are the other products for consideration?...and pro's/con's for the American buyer?

I will compile all the info in the OP:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
T-Rex Racing
Pros:
Cons:
Crash Report:
Case Cover Set - $99.95 (2 pcs)
Frame Slider Set - $109.95
- large, spans both frame bolts
Front Axle Sliders - $39.95
Rear Axle Sliders - $49.95

WoodCraft
Pros:
Cons:
Crash Report:
Frame Slider Set - $70 (from Stoltec Moto)
- Round, cylinder style, replaceable puck

SW Motech (Twisted Throttle)
Pros:
Cons:
Crash Report:
Frame Slider - $179.99
- large, spans both frame bolts

R&G Racing (Twisted Throttle)
Pros:
Cons:
Crash Report:
Case Cover Set - $284.99 (3 pcs)
Frame Sliders, Front Mount - $114.99
Frame Sliders, Mid Mount - $114.99
Front Axle Sliders - $51.99
Rear Axle Sliders - $33.99

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm also going with the Woodcraft sliders. From what I have read so far, my thought is that axle sliders are probably next on the list followed by case covers. My thought is to protect what might take the greatest cost/effort to repair such as forks, radiator, tank, and swingarms. I'm not convinced on items such as bar end sliders, but am willing to reconsider based on others' inputs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The stock bar ends are pretty robust, I think Ill leave them on for now. Ive got the full T-Rex treatment every where else.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stock bar ends are pretty robust, I think Ill leave them on for now. Ive got the full T-Rex treatment every where else.
In real life, how big are the sliders? They look like airplane wings in some pictures

·
Registered
209 Posts
In real life, how big are the sliders? They look like airplane wings in some pictures
Theyre pretty big and the left side is huge. I dont care, they look good. You can also put your lower legs up on both sides for a bit of change of position if your so inclined. I tried it yesterday just to see if it could be done later on longer rides when the need arises. Probably looks goofy but you know sometimes a little stretch of the legs is just what you need on a long haul.

Reactions: Eva

·
Registered
347 Posts
The T. Rex ones are just too big for me. I put on their case protectors and will be using the woodcraft sliders for the frame.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Luke, thanks a bunch for initiating this thread. I've ordered the WC sliders but I'm still debating what additional protection I should get. I'm a little anxious in fact. I had a not so great day riding last Friday. Nothing bad happened but I just couldn't get in synch. This is a rare occasion for me - my stops were sloppy. Horse trailer pulled out in front of me. Being such a short rider, a tip over is more likely. I zipped on back home. I'm feeling like I need something very soon, and I'm too poor to be cheap. No offense to those that provide a reasonably priced quality product,.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
In the 1st pic showing left side, is that the case protector sticking out at the bottom? I see in 2nd pic it's [case protector] bolted onto the right side?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hmm, now that I think about it, I was really questioning if I should go out and ride. Problem is, it's so hard to say no when it's sitting there in its liquid graphite armour silently seducing me. Not fair!
Your realization of your variability and average vs age is what makes you a smart rider. This is why you masta me grasshoppa!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I kind of like that. I was just curious as to what kind of protection is served by the guard that Yamaha is showing for big $ vs what my $ can by elsewhere. Is protection for low siding the same or serve just as well for a tip over?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I find reading about low-sides and other things can do a number on your faith in the bike and your confidence in your own riding... This is not good and Ive found myself being overly cautious and tentative, more than ever before actually. Im concerned with things Ive never worried about before and its actually ruining my enjoyment to an extent. I came home way early on a ride yesterday for instance as I wasnt enjoying myself.

·
Registered
197 Posts
v2, this is what I'd like to do, but I'm just getting antsy.
referring to your comment about getting "WC frame sliders and case protectors via Stoltec"

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't think all protection products will perform the same/equally, and there isn't a one to one relationship between cost and protection.

The profit margin on parts and accessories from a vehicle company is huge. I usually get aftermarket stuff. Maybe you can talk the dealer down a bit, especially if you get the add-ons at the same time as the bike, but not likely you will get as low as aftermarket for an equal thing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, that is a hard one. You have to be aware of what can happen so you know what skills to develop, how to set up the bike, what to look for ahead of you etc. But the reason we ride is for fun, and to ride well you need to be relaxed on the bike and thinking clearly, not focused on road rash.

Um, I guess the short version is practice practice practice. One of the problems with the time of year is the number of days per week you can ride are way down, or when you do the objective hazards are increased with cold tires, sand etc on the roads. I think skill development is best when you can ride often, like 4 days a week, one hour per, or more. Riding a few days a month and it's like your a kid on summer vacation, go back to school and you have to start math over lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts