Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will someone please explain how lowering links work on the FZ? Would making the links longer lower the bike, or making the links shorter lower it? I read something about this here somewhere in another thread,,,but I cannot find it to save my life. Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
it looks like shorter links will lower it. How much shorter, I have no idea. I emailed Soupy sales with a couple of questions tonight. One was about clearance of the hook shaped lower shock mount hitting the swing arm. it is pretty close now. Hope to get an answer soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good article. The 15mm max front adjustment is good advice, although it only equates to .6 inches. I hope this is enough for Nancy. I don't want to introduce other issues when lowering.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it looks like shorter links will lower it. How much shorter, I have no idea. I emailed Soupy sales with a couple of questions tonight. One was about clearance of the hook shaped lower shock mount hitting the swing arm. it is pretty close now. Hope to get an answer soon.
Hmmm...haven't thought of that. I will have to take a look. Let me know what you find out from Soupy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fab'd the first links and installed them last night. I placed the mounting point holes only 1/4 of an inch closer together than stock. Once installed, I noticed that the bottom of the shock was hitting the swingarm just below the mounting point. With the stock links being so short, I guess changing the distance between the mounting holes just a little bit really makes a difference. I will try again this weekend. Once I get it sorted out, I will post up some pics/specs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it make the rear higher or lower? How much?
It made it lower, but I did not measure it. As soon as I realized it was hitting the swingarm, I put it back to stock. It was getting late......

·
Registered
645 Posts
Lowering the suspension on my '07 Bandit had the following effects - which may or may not carry over to the FZ
1. The steering got heavier and made the front tire wear funny faster
2. On the side stand the bike was a lot more vertical, so that one time it blew over at work - the only time it had ever been down. The cover it had on didn't save it from a few scratches.

Stoltecs shock can be varied for length, that may have the same thing your are trying to do, but that isn't a cheap option.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I fab'd the first links and installed them last night. I placed the mounting point holes only 1/4 of an inch closer together than stock. Once installed, I noticed that the bottom of the shock was hitting the swingarm just below the mounting point. With the stock links being so short, I guess changing the distance between the mounting holes just a little bit really makes a difference. I will try again this weekend. Once I get it sorted out, I will post up some pics/specs.
I ordered Soupy's links today. The are said to be made of stainless steel. I emailed them asking about the hook shaped lower shock mount hitting the swing are. He told me they had checked it and it was close. By that statement I assume he meant it did not hit. We shall see.

As far as lowering concerning the kick stand, it will always be an issue. Soupy sells and adjustable one I think for 139.00. My method in the past (my VFR) was to buy a stock kickstand and cut it shorter and reweld the foot on it. A new stand is about 37.50 plus shipping. I have a buddy with a welder so that is free.

I will probably modify the one on there now and order the stock one should I wish to go back to stock height.

I am not suspension expert and only know by feel that lowering the rear of the bike will increase the rake of the forks (like choppers). It makes the bike want to track straight easier and does take more force to turn. Raising the forks in the tree will lesson the change back toward easier turning. Lowering just the forks and not the back will make turning easier than stock and many think it would increase the likelihood to have a speed wobble, tank slapper or what ever you wish to call it.

I thought of making my own to find out what was length was needed to work then I would go to a metal shop and get the right hardness metal for the final links. Now I don't have to do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As far as lowering concerning the kick stand, it will always be an issue. Soupy sells and adjustable one I think for 139.00.
FYI Soupy's adjustable kickstand does not adjust short enough to match the 1.25 lowering links now being sold by Soupys and TRex. I've got Soupy's lowering links installed now, but the weather turned to hell on me before I had a chance to thoroughly test ride last weekend. I installed the adjustable kickstand as well, but it's no where near short enough. We ended up cutting it to the correct length and will be welding a new foot plate.

Hoping to give it a more thorough test ride tomorrow, and I can report back. Our quick tests after the install didn't highlight any performance or safety issues.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The longer the link the more it lowers the bike, I've had great results on duel sport bikes and wanted to try it on the fz but don't have the time right now. I don't need the bike lower what I wanted was to put the shock lower in its travel to do away with how harsh it is in the first part of the stroke. It seems to me there is way to much compression in the first part ot the stroke and not enough in the middle or end. RR :cool:

·
Registered
272 Posts
That would be away to easy and why just throw money at it ,I like to play around with my bikes as its kind of a hobby for me and now that I have some miles on it I 've got the suspension working alot better for the twisty roads I ride here in northern Calif. 10w oil made a nice difference and going to the 2nd from soft preload setting on the rear helped along with a good seat so your in the right position on the bike along with the right foam helped. RR:cool:

·
Registered
584 Posts
It made it lower, but I did not measure it. As soon as I realized it was hitting the swingarm, I put it back to stock. It was getting late......
so in your experience were the lowering links shorter than stock or were they longer than stock. Some members think shorter raises bike and longer lowers bike. You probably know that answer with your experience.

·
Registered
272 Posts
All the links I've used have been longer to lower the bike it doesn't take much to lower the rear a 1|2 in longer rod will lower the bike alot. One point I want to make is suspenison setup is personal preference 100 % there are some base lines but everyone I know has there own style and the types of roads they ride the most on. Don't get caught up in the one size fits all unless you like to spend money.Most shops that do shocks hate pull rods because it bypasses them and thats how they make there living and it is an art to be sure. I've had alot of suspension work done over the years with good results and I've also had some good results dialing in in on my own. I think the problem is alot of people don't let it break in before they start making major changes, and this doesn't apply to people doing track days. RR:cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
The way this one is set up I believe longer links will raise the back end.
With the forks so well tucked in on this bike, lowering the back may not affect steering that much - just saying it did affect the bandit. It was hard on front tires and the lowering links made it noticeably worse.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I know each bike that has links uses them in different positions so changing to shorter ones could raise some bikes and lower others.

I ordered the links from Soupy's Performance on the 6th, they arrived today the 8th. 89.00 with shipping. They are shorter than stock and a little thicker stainless steel. I have not measured them but look to be around 1/4 to 3/8's less. No instructions. Although he did recommend someone holding the bike balanced on the side stand with the rear wheel up while another person swaps out the links. Since I will do it myself I will jack up the bike (made a support frame to hold the bike level) and do the work by myself just like I did on my VFR.

I ordered the kickstand from Motorcycle Goodies last night but have no idea when it will arrive. I will shorten the one on there now anyway. I have a dremmel cutoff blade that will cut anything.

I plan to measure before and after to know how much it changed at my current shock setting. Not scientific but should be close enough for those that want to know.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This could be very true , the way the shock is setup on this bike shorter could be lower. When you get it done ride it up the canyon on hwy 70 and let us know how it works great motorcycle road to be sure. RR:cool:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I got the links on. Both feet are now flat on ground. Had some problem getting the two pieces close enough together working with a motorcycle jack and blocks under the wheel but after some pushing a shoving got them on. I took it down the roughest road by my house and did not hear anything bumping or grinding.

I did notice that at the second setting from softest seemed stiffer with these links. I think because the dimensions are different in the pivot points the loading on the shock is increased. I will leave it at the second from softest for now. I have the forks higher in the triple by .533 to the bottom of the cap (or 6.00 to the top of it). I did that on day one and will leave it. Now with the rear lowered the forks are close to stock angles.

It was raining today redrider so Hiway 70 was out. I did go around the lake on 162 my favorite twisty. I poked my toes out past the pegs to get an early warning on the test. Hit my toe a couple of times but never hit the feelers on the pegs. I think it will be ok. Today I did raise the preload all the way and dampening full.

I cut off the kickstand about just above the fold and got a 2inch long 1/2 inch threaded piece and ground the hex points off and drove it into the end of the kickstand (it is pipe). I then stuck a half inch carriage bolt nut and washer to make a foot. Works fine till my welder friend can weld on the foot.

After doing the stand, I took it back out on a slower more twisty road, again I touched my toe on the right but not the peg. I will go easy till I know it's limits but I think as before lowering it, the limit was me and me thinks it still at my limit.

now how much lower. The say it lowers it 1-1/4 I think I actually got around 1-1/2 but my estimate that I wanted was 1-3/8 so I am ok with that. The links are stainless steel and the stock ones are steel. The stock ones are .232 thick and the Soupy one's are .252 thick. Not enough to require longer bolts.

kickstand cut.jpg kickstand temp.jpg

Reactions: Eva
1 - 20 of 39 Posts