Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
8 Posts
Reviving this.

From what I understand, it may/most likely will turn into a tank clearance issue. I'm not positive on how much adjustment people are getting, but that is what I had heard, and I believe its in relation to the much larger air inlets next to the tank.

Personally, if you haven't yet, try flipping the factory bar risers around. It won't go lower, but it will go forward a bit. I just did it this past week and its already an improvement. From there, I am looking at a set of Rizoma Drag Bars, or if I feel adventurous/guinea pig-ish, track down a set of Hurricane Fat Swallows for the older bikes.

If you decide to flip your bar risers, here's the video.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
8 Posts
Is this the position you show before or after? The punch mark must just show above the lower part?
The video isn't mine, but its a good reference. I believe he shows the after in it however.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is this the position you show before or after? The punch mark must just show above the lower part?
In the video it looks like the bars are in the original position. He doesn't actually change anything in the video, only describes what's supposed to be done.
Anyway the service manual says that even when rotating teh risers, the top holders should still be installed with the punch marks facing forward.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
8 Posts
FYI, be extremely careful loosening the right side underneath the upper clamp. It is an easy way to dent the gas tank with a ratchet when it breaks free.
Simple fix. Pull the tank, send the ECU off to get flashed, and swap them around while its all apart and a mess in your garage like I did :)

Reactions: Moto26

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,308 Posts
You can also turn your key to the steering lock position, so you don’t have to fight the whole thing while trying to loosen that right side bolt…

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
8 Posts
You can also turn your key to the steering lock position, so you don’t have to fight the whole thing while trying to loosen that right side bolt…
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Actual proper, smart way to do it here folks 😂

Works for the left side as well. That little extra bit of clearance helps when circumnavigating the wiring harness on that side of the frame

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reviving this.

From what I understand, it may/most likely will turn into a tank clearance issue. I'm not positive on how much adjustment people are getting, but that is what I had heard, and I believe its in relation to the much larger air inlets next to the tank.

Personally, if you haven't yet, try flipping the factory bar risers around. It won't go lower, but it will go forward a bit. I just did it this past week and its already an improvement. From there, I am looking at a set of Rizoma Drag Bars, or if I feel adventurous/guinea pig-ish, track down a set of Hurricane Fat Swallows for the older bikes.
TST Industries offers these from Gilles Tooling: Gilles Tooling Adjustable Handlebar Risers | Yamaha FZ-09 / MT-09 2017-2020

Then there is the option to swap bars to get something lower.
Thanks! I did swing the handlebar down a bit, it helped. I was also in contact with Gilles and they siad those risers were not compatible with the 21/22 MT-09 but that they will release a riser for the 21/22 model next year. Think I will wait for that one, bringing it forward a bit should also give it more space for lowering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving this.

If you decide to flip your bar risers, here's the video.
I did that and i've got the bars 10mm forward. It makes a difference.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts