Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When sorting through my front wheel alignment issue today I was reminded of something that I encountered months ago when installing the fork legs after a Nick rework. And that is the fork legs are very tough to get back up through the bottom clamp once you get to that part where the fork leg fattens up.
I had to resort, once again, to using a chamfered nylon slug tapped into the slot there at the bolt holes to ever so slightly spread the clamps about .75 mm to allow the fork legs to slide through the lower clamp. Anyone else find it nearly impossible to get the fork legs up through the clamps where the legs O.D. increases a bit? I suppose the extra meat there on the fork leg is to help with keeping the leg concentric and strong from the lower clamp down to the point where the tube slides into the leg?

Btw, I did get the front straightened (twisted clamps) and it was quite a few times on the chain adjusters to get the front and rear aligned while keeping the proper chain slack. Tried using 8 foot long light tubes to see the alignment from rear to front, but it was nerve wracking moving around in my small (6X10) shed with worrying about dropping a tool or stepping on and breaking those bulbs. i went with the string method and used a small strip of index card between the string and front edge of the rear tire. Moved the string away from the tire just enough until the paper started to fall. That little trick worked pretty good and helped me to minimize trips front to rear while trying to get the string just right with touching both edges of the rear tire. I hate working in that small space and by myself.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I used the screw driver method when I installed my AK-20's.

I have moved them up and down since then trying different front end set ups. Don't need the screw driver spread to move them up or down a few mm. Twisting them a little while pushing or pulling does the trick.

Just make sure you don't over tighten the lower clamp bolts. You don't want to oval your thin fork tubes.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I thought i had something out of spec. The triple clamps on my old bandit were not that tight.
So, I don't feel like a hamfisted shade tree mechanic when I spread them by whatever method.
The alignment front to rear and straightening the front forks made a huge difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts