Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one found a better solution than this to keep the temps up. It has been in the mid 20s on the way to work in the mornings here. With out the cardboard, water temps only get up to 145. With it in place it gets up around 175. I, don't think that is hot enough to burn the moisture out of the oil. Is my thermostat stuck open? What temps are you guys getting?

Vehicle Auto part Supermoto Car Exhaust system

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Has any one found a better solution than this to keep the temps up. It has been in the mid 20s on the way to work in the mornings here. With out the cardboard, water temps only get up to 145. With it in place it gets up around 175. I, don't think that is hot enough to burn the moisture out of the oil. Is my thermostat stuck open? What temps are you guys getting?

View attachment 10832
What you're describing is normal behavior. Many of us feel the temps are too low, but it appears to be a cool running bike. Unless you're having issues, ride more and worry less.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
3" blocker... been there for a while. I could use a bigger one for colder temps but like Nick says... bike is ok running cold. I might try a 1 or 2" one on top if I have some time to kill...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine won't heat up past mid 150s (cruising at 50mph) when it's in the 50s outside. I have the same rad guard that Marthy has and put a piece of regular duct tape across the top and bottom. Probably about the same amount of blockage that he shows overall. I've run the bike up to about 80 degrees ambient and it runs about 180 at that temp unless you stop at a light. I wouldn't want it blocked in the summer, but the 80 degree day was an anomaly lately. I've been very happy with the results in 50degree weather. It seems to warm up to the 160s quickly and then be pretty happily into the low-mid 170s if the weather is in the mid 60s. I don't stop much as I'm mostly joyriding on the back roads, but it seems way better to be a bit warm than to be running in the 140s. My SuperTenere is the almost the same in terms of running cold, but warms up to normal operating temps as long as it's about 50 outside. One day riding to work in the 20s it never got past 141. Ever since then I just stuff a t-shirt down the intake that feeds the radiator. It works great. I've worried that the oil isn't getting hot enough to let you run the bike hard so that's the only reason I worry about the low temps.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Mine won't heat up past mid 150s (cruising at 50mph) when it's in the 50s outside. I have the same rad guard that Marthy has and put a piece of regular duct tape across the top and bottom. Probably about the same amount of blockage that he shows overall. I've run the bike up to about 80 degrees ambient and it runs about 180 at that temp unless you stop at a light. I wouldn't want it blocked in the summer, but the 80 degree day was an anomaly lately. I've been very happy with the results in 50degree weather. It seems to warm up to the 160s quickly and then be pretty happily into the low-mid 170s if the weather is in the mid 60s. I don't stop much as I'm mostly joyriding on the back roads, but it seems way better to be a bit warm than to be running in the 140s. My SuperTenere is the almost the same in terms of running cold, but warms up to normal operating temps as long as it's about 50 outside. One day riding to work in the 20s it never got past 141. Ever since then I just stuff a t-shirt down the intake that feeds the radiator. It works great. I've worried that the oil isn't getting hot enough to let you run the bike hard so that's the only reason I worry about the low temps.
Mine has been there all summer long in Florida... 180-185 cruising. I even left it there for my 2 track days, no issue. I have a gap between the rad & blocker so the fan still have plenty of air... just blocking the direct cooling air.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What you're describing is normal behavior. Many of us feel the temps are too low, but it appears to be a cool running bike. Unless you're having issues, ride more and worry less.
It is only running too cool for those north of the Mason-Dixon line. Here in S Texas, it runs 154F in cool weather and up to 224F in summer traffic. I'm more worried about the high being too high. The way I fix that is to try to keep moving above 25 mph.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I forgot to mention, back in my drag racing days we did all we could to make the (car) engine run as cool as possible. We put in 160F thermostats and and blocked off the heat port to the intake manifold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts