Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have only owned a couple of bikes, so I don't have a ton of experience to compare against, but I have noticed that this bike (2015 FZ-09, yellow :sign18:) has a steering behavior at low speeds that I find off putting.

Of course, at high speeds I counter steer (without thinking about it, of course) and lean the bike in and out of the turn, and all is good. At lower speeds (e.g. parking lots), I tend to turn the bars in order to steer the bike (i.e. rotate left to go left). What I find odd about this bike is the tendency of the bars to continue to turn more in the direction they are rotated. I.e. to maintain a left turn, I need to push on the left bar to keep the bars from going all the way to the left. Therefore, coming out of the turn takes some significant pressure. It's not a one sided thing --- the same effect happens both ways. I have checked for loose bearings, etc., in head and wheel.

Other bikes I have owned have been more neutral in this regard. I.e. straightening the bars at the end of a low-speed turn required very little pressure.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a tuning issue (e.g. suspension, tire pressure)?

Thanks.

RTW

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know what you mean. On this bike, unlike the Bandit I had before, I feel like I'm sitting on top of the front wheel. On my first rides, turning from a stop made me feel like I was on a 2-wheeled tricycle. After a while I got used to the feeling and stopped thinking about it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Not 100% sure I understand you but try this:

Keep the engine at 3-4k rpm and the clutch just pulling enough to keep you going forward and press down lightly n the rear brake. Keeping the engine speed constant, modulate the clutch slightly to adjust your speed and complete a figure 8.

The issue with the FZ09 diving to the inside at low speed turns is due to the throttle lag between on and off throttle. If you eliminate this by keeping the engine spinning faster than you need and slipping the clutch a little more or a little less to control your speed, instead of using your throttle.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Not 100% sure I understand you but try this:

Keep the engine at 3-4k rpm and the clutch just pulling enough to keep you going forward and press down lightly n the rear brake. Keeping the engine speed constant, modulate the clutch slightly to adjust your speed and complete a figure 8.

The issue with the FZ09 diving to the inside at low speed turns is due to the throttle lag between on and off throttle. If you eliminate this by keeping the engine spinning faster than you need and slipping the clutch a little more or a little less to control your speed, instead of using your throttle.
+1 exactly, if you get use to keeping the throttle/rpm's constant, feather the clutch to adjust your speed, use only the back brake at slow speeds, keep your feet on the pegs (no foot dragging) and look ahead where you want to go, it makes riding slow a lot easier. It also doesn't take much turning of the bars to turn the bike once you get the balancing down.

This was a great little trick they taught in the riding course I took years ago. I can crawl along on my 09 or DR650SE and barely see any movement on the speedometer. The more you practise the easier it will get, just remember to not use the front brake at all and just use the back brake when riding slow. So many bikes get dropped because riders accidently grab the front brake while riding slow and over they go.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sounds like someone has never ridden a light dirt bike (Yz250/F/ YZ450F)

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You just need to get used to the bike.....dont worry, ride more and it will start to feel natural soon enough.

I ride a sportster in addition to the FZ , and when switching between the 2, it feels strange for a few miles...they are on complete opposite ends of the handling scale..:)

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Totally different trail properties though^^^

Watch twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and all of your riding questions will be answered
MT09 has about 100mm of trail, a newer gsxr is a bit under 100mm of trail, and MX bikes are what? around 115?
most bikes are around 100mm of trail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like someone has never ridden a light dirt bike (Yz250/F/ YZ450F)
Actually, I ride a DRZ400 all of the time on very tight and technical trails - all over the Wasatch mountains and southern Utah (ever heard of "Moab"? :) ). Lots of clutch control. Totally different feeling. Never feels like it's diving into turns. Quite the opposite. The steering on the DRZ likes to come back straight.

But yes, I will experiment with more clutch slipping on the FZ to see if it's the throttle off/on that causes that feeling.

Thanks.

RTW

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'll admit, I'll eat my comment. But with all that experience, I am surprised you posted something as this.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Coming from a GSX-R sportbike, I think the low speed handling is incredible. You/we have to remember different bike styles and their differences in wheelbase and rake are going to have different effects on all aspects of handling. What seems like good or bad handling to one person can be quite the opposite to somebody with a different cycling background.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I was taught years ago to find an empty parking lot and practice riding in a straight line for 50 yards at a time, as Slow as Possible, maintaining a speed that's just enough to stay up. A great excersise & not one the FZ09 is happy doing.

In case you guys didn't know, going Super Slow is Not what the FZ09 was designed for:p

Reactions: RickyNY

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I can actually make better U-turn with the FZ than with my old Suzuki GS500.

Like Fine Wine, you're getting better with age.:p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts