Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my break in done and was riding around. Ended up following a hd around for awhile . Long story short somehow he ended up high siding in a corner and in trying to avoid hitting him and his bike I hit sand an low sided I'll post some photos when I have better light... but all I hurt was the stator cover and my clutch lever and bar end... I rode home...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Wow glad your alright. HD in corners FTL!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured it up should b able to fix the damages for less than my deductible... most of them anyway the is a scratch in the tank... but one of my coworkers already wants to repaint it for me.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
So what was the primary cause of the accident? Its good to learn from these things so as to not repeat them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A combination of sand and probably following a bit close... still not sure how or why he lost it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
A combination of sand and probably following a bit close... still not sure how or why he lost it.

A couple of suggestions as a ridercoach:
1) ride your own ride and don't follow or look at the back of the bike you are following as that will cause you to make the same mistake as they do but 1-2 seconds later than their mistake.

2) how often do you practice quick stops? Why not practice every time you ride?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
3) You should have passed that POS Harley and pulled a Wheelie as you sped by.

Seriously, happy to hear that you are ok and that you were able to ride her home.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you're alright though, which is good. Any idea how the other guy turned out?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He picked up and ride off... didn't stick around to give me any info though

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A couple of suggestions as a ridercoach:
1) ride your own ride and don't follow or look at the back of the bike you are following as that will cause you to make the same mistake as they do but 1-2 seconds later than their mistake.

2) how often do you practice quick stops? Why not practice every time you ride?
I think I'm going to hafta start practicing quick stops again... unlike my r6 the brakes on this will overwhelm the suspension... going to get ahold of stoltec at the end of the season for some upgrades.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You can still do quick stops with a crappy suspension. It just doesn't work as well as a properly suspended bike.

Have you ever rean Nick Ienatsch's the pace? Or his book? Both are well worth the time and probably would have helped you avoid this accident.

Good to hear you weren't hurt. BTW, touch up paint that matches the engine is cheap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the suspension... I am blaming myself... I am getting out ta practice with quick stops and this one responds far differently than my last mount. And in all honesty I'm more bruised that the bike is hurt:)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry this happened and glad youre ok! T'is the season folks. Riders are coming out of the woodwork and alot of them are rusty so be safe out there!! All the motoforums I'm on are full of crashes right now, so take it easy everyone and make it home safe!

Daniel

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the suspension... I am blaming myself... I am getting out ta practice with quick stops and this one responds far differently than my last mount. And in all honesty I'm more bruised that the bike is hurt:)

Time to find a parking lot and spend plenty of time doing braking drills.

I generally advise anyone on a new to them bike to go pick a line in an empty parking lot and approach it at 15 mph in second gear and then do a quick stop.

Keep repeating until you have convinced yourself that you have stopped in the absolutely shortest distance that you can.

There are lots of fine points to work on like:
keeping your head and eyes out at the horizon
not locking up the rear wheel
using/modulating/increasing the pressure on the front brakes
completing the downshift before stopping...

Once you have convinced yourself you are doing the best you can at 15 mph, then repeat the process at 20mph, then 30 mph in 3rd gear, then 40 mph in 3rd or 4th gear and then 50 mph in 4th gear.

Get all your downshifting to 1st before the wheels stop turning.

For some riders you can get this done in 20 minutes or less. For some riders it might take many separate times out practicing to build the confidence of safe, short, smooth, controlled quick stops.

Then once you have the muscle memory built, then you can practice it every time you ride.

Confident quick stops are a foundational confidence building skill.

In simple terms, if you KNOW you can safely stop the bike at several different speeds, then you can have more confidence in moving at that speed.

Many don't spend the time ever practicing quick stops but if they don't practice, they will hesitate and/or do it wrong when the time comes to need a quick stop.

·
Registered
244 Posts
.... Time to find a parking lot and spend plenty of time doing braking drills
Indeed set your pride and ignorance aside riders, emergency stops at all speeds are essential survival tools. Not only practicing emergency stopping, but also swerving in an emergency. Please do both in a rapid session... emergency stopping - swerving - and get the hell out of the danger zone in one piece!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Guys, tell me I'm crazy, but this panic braking is so much easier to do with good tires. I'm not even saying sport tires..pr3's work well.....but good tires.

Also, stock brake pads really do all they can to cover up the "feel" of braking. Especially out back. OP, I still blame you for the crash, but you did not get there all by yourself.

·
Registered
601 Posts
HD highside? Isn't that an oxymoron? I didn't think they had the lean angle or power for that!

Best to give terrible riders and drivers plenty of room 'till it's safe to pass.

Glad you could ride it home and you're okay!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Time to find a parking lot and spend plenty of time doing braking drills.

I generally advise anyone on a new to them bike to go pick a line in an empty parking lot and approach it at 15 mph in second gear and then do a quick stop.

Keep repeating until you have convinced yourself that you have stopped in the absolutely shortest distance that you can.

There are lots of fine points to work on like:
keeping your head and eyes out at the horizon
not locking up the rear wheel
using/modulating/increasing the pressure on the front brakes
completing the downshift before stopping...

Once you have convinced yourself you are doing the best you can at 15 mph, then repeat the process at 20mph, then 30 mph in 3rd gear, then 40 mph in 3rd or 4th gear and then 50 mph in 4th gear.

Get all your downshifting to 1st before the wheels stop turning.

For some riders you can get this done in 20 minutes or less. For some riders it might take many separate times out practicing to build the confidence of safe, short, smooth, controlled quick stops.

Then once you have the muscle memory built, then you can practice it every time you ride.

Confident quick stops are a foundational confidence building skill.

In simple terms, if you KNOW you can safely stop the bike at several different speeds, then you can have more confidence in moving at that speed.

Many don't spend the time ever practicing quick stops but if they don't practice, they will hesitate and/or do it wrong when the time comes to need a quick stop.
I totally agree with motomania, but I think you are going to need a pretty big parking lot to do 50 mph stops - I recommend a low traffic industrial park, etc. Also, I really recommend you measure and mark out your braking zone so you have some real measure of whether you are really stopping the motorcycle quickly. Lots of riders are very surprised when they see how short the braking distance really is.

As a reference, Motorcycle Consumer News tested the FZ-09 on the Dunlops and achieved 60-0 in 122'. That is right around a 1 g deceleration, which would be about 85' from 50 mph or 55' from 40 mph. Now, I'm not suggesting you try to hit these numbers right off, but work your way down to them. Also, they may sound short, but lots of cars can hit the same numbers (with the help of ABS) and you don't want to be rear ending them!

As an example, I noticed a while back that Google maps happens to show my practice area quite nicely - the lines are at 100', 120' and 140' and marked both ways from the center dashed line so I can simply u-turn and practice in both directions: http://goo.gl/Xnnvuo [zoom in to about a 20'/10m scale]

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Guys, tell me I'm crazy, but this panic braking is so much easier to do with good tires. I'm not even saying sport tires..pr3's work well.....but good tires.

Also, stock brake pads really do all they can to cover up the "feel" of braking. Especially out back. OP, I still blame you for the crash, but you did not get there all by yourself.
Upgraded brakes, tires, suspension, etc. do make quick stops better and easier to control and execute.

But, you can still do quick stops and get some decent feedback with the stock components.

It is important to practice now and often, even if you believe the components need to be upgraded.

Then practice more once the components are upgraded so you get an feel for the upgraded capabilities the upgrades provide to quick stops.

Reactions: rcannon409
1 - 20 of 31 Posts