Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After commuting and daily riding my k7 GSXR for 7 years with no issues, I low sided this morning on my FZ-09.

I took a right hand corner at about 20mph felt my pegs scrape and then it just slid out from under me. thankfully there wasn't any on coming traffic because I slid across both lanes and the yellow.

My first thought was the peg made me loose traction by pushing my bike up. After thinking about it and looking at the tires I think it was much more likely the fact that I had just put new tires on. That with the combination of a chilly cloudy morning made my tires let loose.

If you look at the right hand side of the tire you can see the marks where it slid sideways.

I just wanted to remind everyone to go easy on those new tires, and remember jeans are not going to save you from road rash.

IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you show a closer photo of the Akra Carbon can? Sorry to hear about your accident...looks like a lot of touch points. I need to get some front axle sliders.
This hurt more than my knee. The other parts aren't a big deal but replacing the carbon sucks.
IMG_0560.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck. Those Astar SMX gloves managed to keep your hands unscuffed. But 10 mph more and they might have let you down.
Glad you didn't get run over. Take care and keep that knee clean.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Most cans with a 54mm inlet will work, so if you wanted to get creative and have something different you could try something new.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you scraped the pegs on the FZ-09 before?

Did it surprise you when they scraped?

Sounds like you chopped the throttle when the peg touched the ground.

That pushed weight forward and you lost traction in the rear.

Highly doubt it was cold, new tires

·
Registered
200 Posts
It happens. My buddy low sided his R6 last year on a cold morning with cold tires. He was turning left at low speed.
Yea, I'm sure that was the only reason he went down...:rolleyes:

EDIT: I want to add that I lowsided the FZ-09 in a parking lot leaving work at 10-15 mph. Yes my tires were 'cold' but were street tires that don't need to be hot to grip like race slicks, like OP.

The reason I lowsided was not-smooth inputs. Jerky throttle + not-smooth input = easy lowside, as lots of us figure out

·
Registered
178 Posts
The good news is you came out on top of the situation, some battle scars but the damage is repairable. I'm sure the new tires didn't help, but I've learned myself how traction can go to hell on cold damp mornings. The sport tires they put on bikes today are bad for traction when the surface is smooth, cold and damp. I think in an effort to make the street tires look as close as they can to track tires, we all pay the price. The street ain't the track, which is a controlled environment but the manufacturers are still equipping street bikes with tires that aren't up to the varying traction that we all have to ride in on an average day. Last summer I was coming home from a ride out in the country and the road has just started to become a little wet from a mist. As I applied the brakes to enter my sub, the rear immediately broke traction and I wasn't going over 25 and didn't jam on the brakes either. Luckily I resisted the turn and kept going straight but it taught me how slippery these tires can become when traction dimishes

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Sorry about your bad day. I'm glad you're OK. I wonder how a pair of kevlar jeans would have perform?
Mine worked well during a low speed get off (12 o'clocked a wheelie) It tore the rear pocket and slightly rashed the left butt and hip area of the jeans, but no rash on my skin. The jeans are still fine and I wear them at every ride. I also wear Bohn under armor underneath. They have a butt bone protector but I still broke my butt bone anyway.

·
Registered
920 Posts
sorry to hear man... Thanks for the PSA though. I spend 90% of my saddle time commuting, and notice myself getting complacent at times. Little reminders like these keep me "scared straight". Plus I just put a new rear tire on this past friday so I'm still breaking mine in as well!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Many of us have had similar bummers.... Including me recently. One of the main pointers emphasized at the Yamaha Champions Riding School was - every time you're about to ride, "have a plan"! And ALWAYS remember "cold tires"... We would all shout that out to each other before heading out on the track.... "Cold tires"!
I just finished replacing my clutch cover, if you are going to do same and need any pointers, pm me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ALWAYS remember "cold tires"... We would all shout that out to each other before heading out on the track.... "Cold tires"!
What tires were you using? OP looks to have Michelin Pilot Power

I would bet $100 that I could get on OP's bike in 30F and within 10ft scrape a peg without lowsiding.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Contrary to what some know it all jack holes think, the combination of new and cold tires don't require input error to brake traction. I power slid both tires through a relatively mild corner shortly after spooning them on. It made me say weeee. Not like deliverance weeee, although my balloon knot did pucker a little, but like a roller coaster weeee. I just wanted to see how many times I could realistically use weeee in a post. The answer is apparently 4

1 - 20 of 59 Posts