Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have noticed that my drive chain is pretty damn loud. Has anybody else noticed this? I don't know if it is just the way the bike is, or what, but I just started noticing it this season. I have about 6,500 miles on it. I recently replaced the tires. The alignment seems to be fine. Anybody experiencing the same? Please share. Thank you

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Make sure its not too tight.

·
Registered
673 Posts
They tend to get a bit noisier when they start wearing out. My stock chain lasted about 10K miles with religious cleaning/lubing, and the 2nd chain (520 pitch) only made it to 6K miles.

Start keeping an eye out for damaged o-rings and links with kinks. Pending how much you ride, might be a good idea to start shopping for a new chain & sprocket set around 8K miles. Service manager at my local shop says most of his regulars replace their drive set between 8K-10K miles on average.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They tend to get a bit noisier when they start wearing out. My stock chain lasted about 10K miles with religious cleaning/lubing, and the 2nd chain (520 pitch) only made it to 6K miles.

Start keeping an eye out for damaged o-rings and links with kinks. Pending how much you ride, might be a good idea to start shopping for a new chain & sprocket set around 8K miles. Service manager at my local shop says most of his regulars replace their drive set between 8K-10K miles on average.
i feel this is just a good way to waste money....... i've gotten nearly 22000m out of my stock set with horrible maintenance. honestly, i've gone anywhere from 500 to 5000 miles without lubing/cleaning and it still does the job. i don't have any o-rings popping out of the chain, the sprockets look good. My plan has been to swap sprockets for a shorter final gearing between 25000 and 30,000 (if necessary). btw, i rip like a MOFU on mine and love it. including, but not limited to powerstands, clutchups, drag-race launches (on AND off the strip) slight burning out, 130-ish speeds fire roads, mountain gravel, ditches, jumps, and submersion (drivechain). i feel that if you've ****ed your chain by 10K, i'd like to know how NOT to ride a motorcycle. it seems logical that I would be the one replacing chains and sprockets early.....

keep the chain tight, but not like a damn tightrope. the manual calls for like 3/16" to 1/2" slack... really tight for what was necessary on my past bikes. i make sure i don't have kinks in my links, but seriously..... 8k miles?

·
Registered
673 Posts
i feel this is just a good way to waste money....... i've gotten nearly 22000m out of my stock set with horrible maintenance. honestly, i've gone anywhere from 500 to 5000 miles without lubing/cleaning and it still does the job. i don't have any o-rings popping out of the chain, the sprockets look good. My plan has been to swap sprockets for a shorter final gearing between 25000 and 30,000 (if necessary). btw, i rip like a MOFU on mine and love it. including, but not limited to powerstands, clutchups, drag-race launches (on AND off the strip) slight burning out, 130-ish speeds fire roads, mountain gravel, ditches, jumps, and submersion (drivechain). i feel that if you've ****ed your chain by 10K, i'd like to know how NOT to ride a motorcycle. it seems logical that I would be the one replacing chains and sprockets early.....

keep the chain tight, but not like a damn tightrope. the manual calls for like 3/16" to 1/2" slack... really tight for what was necessary on my past bikes. i make sure i don't have kinks in my links, but seriously..... 8k miles?
Sounds like you've been focusing too much on riding, and not enough on the grammar. Your chain is probably shot and ready to take a chunk of your leg off, or put a hole in your lower case any day now.

You're not riding hard enough if you think 8K-10K is nuts. Plenty of members have reported 10K-12K miles on stock 525 set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the feedback guys. I will check all this when I get my bike back from the shop. I have it there so they can re-tune my Power Commander V. I had the dealer install it for just such occasions where things go wrong. I should probably start a thread on that one too because they tried charging me so I gave them a piece of my mind since it has only been on there for a year...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like you've been focusing too much on riding, and not enough on the grammar. Your chain is probably shot and ready to take a chunk of your leg off, or put a hole in your lower case any day now.

You're not riding hard enough if you think 8K-10K is nuts. Plenty of members have reported 10K-12K miles on stock 525 set.
It is not shot. I do ride it plenty hard and daily. Your mechanic swapped one pussies chain early and realized if he quoted people buying new chain/sprockets at 8-10k miles, he could convince others to buy them just as early... Oh look: he just doubled his income on basic chain and sprocket swaps.

Don't take maintenance advice from the mechanic you are planning on doing the work. To exemplify this: a Chevy salesman will never tell you that an equal class dodge is better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm noticing this too now. At 1k miles I tensioned the drive chain to spec (manual says 5-15mm and 5mm is WAAAY tight so I set it to 15mm). Now the chain sounds like a siren and is louder than the engine above 40mph. Drenching it in lube has little effect. Still screams like a banshee.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
18mm - 22mm on full swingarm extension. It doesn't actually change noticeably on the sidestand though. 35 is way too loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I adjusted my chain to 35mm while on the rear stand and the noise has almost completely gone. The chain is still plenty snug when there's weight on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welp... after another ride, the noise is still there after all. Must've been wishful thinking. Chain has about an inch of slack in it when on the side stand with no weight on it. Possible rear wheel bearing issue?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
If your rear wheel is slightly out of alignment, it can make the chain noisy as well. Unfortunately you cannot always trust the alignment marks on the swing-arm and/or rear axle alignment blocks. :(

Here is a cheap and easy to use tool to align your chain. http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/15297-chain-alignment-tool-wow.html#post256593

Some prefer the "string method" or use calipers to measure eat side. http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/7984-rear-tire-alignment.html

I have a good set of digital calipers that I use, and one of those Motion Pro chain alignment tools. Both work pretty good to keep the chain aligned.

As for chain slack, 32mm is the magic number on my 09 so far, lol.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Welp... after another ride, the noise is still there after all. Must've been wishful thinking. Chain has about an inch of slack in it when on the side stand with no weight on it. Possible rear wheel bearing issue?
Unlikely, but take the chain off the rear sprocket and spin the wheel. You'll hear the bearings if they're shot. Do you have tight spots on the chain? That'll cause a rhythmic sound at speed. But I suspect you're noticing normal gearbox noise that seems typical in triples, can you compare to another 09?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I have also found using Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube seems to help keep the chain quiet, or is it my ear plugs???? lol.

Dry chain, dirty chain, misaligned chain, to tight or to loose a chain, tight spots in chain links, bad chain (as is broken o-ring/o-rings), worn chain, worn sprockets, can all contribute to a noisy chain.

Also as LouG mentioned, the straight cut gears in the gearbox are a bit noisy as well, with 6th gear being a bit whiny.

Maybe it's time for a good chain cleaning and inspection.

Look for tight spots (also known as kinked links) like this.

bad_chain.jpg

If you rear wheel is not aligned, it should show the chain off to one side like this. The inner chain plates rubbing on the side of the sprockets can make a lot of noise.

IMGP2247.jpg

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I'm with you Rocky, earplugs fix hell of a lot of problems. I call them Prozac for your ears.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts